Unbelievable outrage!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Unbelievable outrage!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Unbelievable outrage!

Tea Party Patriots co-founder Mark Meckler was arrested at an airport in New York City on Thursday after he attempted to check-in a locked gun box holding his Glock 27 pistol and ammunition to a Delta Air Lines ticket agent.

According to authorities and his attorney, Meckler, 49, holds a concealed-carry permit for the Glock 27 pistol at home in California, but not in New York where he was attempting to board the plane. As a result, he was arrested and charged with a felony.

“Before leaving home, passengers should acquaint themselves with the weapon laws of the jurisdiction that they are visiting and comply with any and all legal requirements if they choose to travel with a weapon,” Queens District Attorney Richard A. Brown said.

“Otherwise, they may find themselves being arrested and charged with a felony – as is what occurred in this case,” he said.

Attorney Brian Stapleton of Goldberg, Segalla, LLP said Meckler was only attempting to follow TSA rules for checking in a firearm when he was arrested.

“While in temporary transit through the state of New York in possession of an unloaded, lawful firearm that was locked in a TSA-approved safe, he legally declared his possession of the firearm in his checked baggage at the ticket counter as required by law and in a manner approved by TSA and the airline, yet was arrested by port authority for said possession,” Stapleton said.

Meckler was arraigned Thursday in Queens Criminal Court and charged with second degree criminal possession of a weapon, a Class C felony.

Meckler was released Thursday. He has a court date set for Jan. 12, 2012.

Brown said Meckler, a well-known person in the tea party movement, told authorities he keeps the pistol with him because he gets threats.

Read more: Tea Party | Concealed Carry | Felony | The Daily Caller

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Get used to it. This is the direction we are heading with a quickness.

Quote:
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Ayn Rand

Be Well.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8861 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

NYC has been in violation of the Federal "Peaceable Journey Act" since it was passed. In case of this law, no state or city law may override it. I am not real sure that this may not be a case to get the illegal NYC ordinance into court.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2737 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 231

I refuse to spend $1 in NYC. I will not give them any of my tourist dollars.

I hope this is a move to get the Draconian NYC gun laws overturned. Only in a place like that can a city have felonious ordinances. Giving that much power to a municipal government that cannot even manage its own finances is rediculous

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2112 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3180

The NRA used to warn about this. It's been happening at LaGuardia, JFK and Newark for many years. The lawyer flew into NY City with a checked gun in his baggage, stayed a night or two and then tried to check the gun when he left the city. He was in violation of NY law the moment he took possession of his bag at LaGuardia. The peaceable journey act does not come into play here because the guy stayed overnight in NY City.

The Queens DA has wide latitude in prosecuting these airport gun cases. You don't hear about most of them because the violator pleads guilty to a misdemeanor and is let go with a fine. This guy should get a good NY lawyer, be contrite and play ignorant of NY gun law: Otherwise he will be found guilty of a felony. If found guilty of a felony in New York, CA will pull his license to practice law.

Criminal Possession of a Weapon in New York Gun Cases including Queens Brooklyn Bronx and Manhattan Illegal Weapons

Last edited by alsaqr; 12-17-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Old 12-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm GLAD I dont live in that RAT HOLE ANYMORE!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

This is why HB 45, IIRC, was so important in Florida this year.

It provided teeth for prior laws which had no enforcement statutes,

and were therefore being ignored.

If the Constitution, BOR, and laws like Peaceable Journey could be readily

enforced, harassment like this would not only stop, laws like HR 822

would be uncalled for...

Old 12-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I refuse to spend $1 in NYC. I will not give them any of my tourist dollars.

I hope this is a move to get the Draconian NYC gun laws overturned. Only in a place like that can a city have felonious ordinances. Giving that much power to a municipal government that cannot even manage its own finances is rediculous
Brother thats exactly how I feel I vote with my wallet!

Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I was born and raised in New York City. And I will say this much about their mayor and law enforcement.
They would rather, if not willingly, allow for their law-abiding citizens to be killed by muggers, burglars,
thug-wanna-be's, and drug addicts then for the citizens to turn it around and defend themselves with a firearm.
And woe to those caught with one on them or in their homes. That city with all its corruptions both politically
and in their 'ephemeral laws' suck big time!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #10

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I was born and raised in New York City. And I will say this much about their mayor and law enforcement.
They would rather, if not willingly, allow for their law-abiding citizens to be killed by muggers, burglars,
thug-wanna-be's, and drug addicts then for the citizens to turn it around and defend themselves with a firearm.
And woe to those caught with one on them or in their homes. That city with all its corruptions both politically
and in their 'ephemeral laws' suck big time!
Seems like an open and shut case of police enabling criminals on purpose

to me...