Turning 18, Firing Range Question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Turning 18, Firing Range Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xneogenx View Post
So I have had an interest in firearms for a long time. Not as a tool for aggression as most people will seem to perceive them as, but as a relaxation in a firing range, or self defense if it ever comes to that in a dire situation. I will be turning 18 this September 4th, and I want to go to a firing range for the first time soon after. But I want to get some information clarified to me.

I live in the state of New Jersey, and I am aware of the firearm laws here. I cannot own a semi-automatic rifle/shotgun until the age of 18, and I cannot own a firearm until the age of 21. Now here is where my question comes into play. My father (whom passed away only a few years ago of cancer) was a police officer, so understandably, he had a few guns from his time. He owns a Stainless Steel High Standard 22 Magnum Derringer, a Stainless Steel Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chiefs Special .38 Special, and a Blue Steel Sig Sauer Model 230 .380 Semi-Automatic. All of these weapons are in a great condition and are capable to be safely fired.

My question is, due to the law saying I cannot legally own these weapons myself, would I still be able to legally bring these 3 firearms to the shooting range, purchase ammunition for them there, and use them at the range? Or at the age of 18 would I only be able to bring a rifle for firing?
Oh wow.

I share the same birthday of September 4.. My dad passed away this past July 8th. I was just chatting with a friend a few weeks previously about how my dad had taught me how to shoot. I am sorry to hear about your dad.

I can't answer your question but your post just so close.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindOldMan View Post
Oh wow.

I share the same birthday of September 4.. My dad passed away this past July 8th. I was just chatting with a friend a few weeks previously about how my dad had taught me how to shoot. I am sorry to hear about your dad.

I can't answer your question but your post just so close.
Mine passed away April 17, 2007. Unfortunately, he never got to teach me how to shoot. We never did get to spend the quality time I would have liked, but I loved him anyway. He taught me more than even he realized. I am better for it.

and in return, I too am sorry for your loss.

Last edited by xneogenx; 08-03-2011 at 01:37 AM. Reason: laptop glitch, prepost

Old 08-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #13

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
WHich is a true thing. I want to buy a Marlin 925 .22 Bolt Action Rifle. Coincidentally, my .22 Magnum Derringer accepts rifle rounds. So if I wanted to, I could cross load.
IME that works in a general sense, but many rimfire pistols are

a little picky about what they shoot dependably.

So 22LR rifle ammo may or may not work in the derringer,

but pistol ammo(higher priced) will definitely work in the rifle...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
IME that works in a general sense, but many rimfire pistols are

a little picky about what they shoot dependably.

So 22LR rifle ammo may or may not work in the derringer,

but pistol ammo(higher priced) will definitely work in the rifle...
Well The derringer was taken to the range by my brother and cousin, and apparently it does accept .22 rifle rounds

Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Well The derringer was taken to the range by my brother and cousin, and apparently it does accept .22 rifle rounds
The question isn't whether the rifle ammo will chamber, it's dependability of the

rounds. Box ammo tends to be a little more geared towards rifles.

But if it shoots discount pack ammo well, more power to ya...

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 AM   #16

hi xneogenx,welcome to the world of firearms.This comment has nothing to do with your question.You never have to explain to us or anybody else why you like to shoot.If its for relaxation,target, protection,etc. it needs not be anyones but your reason.Anti gun people NEVER see any reason to own or shoot a firearm.If someone asks you why,just tell them because the Constitution says you could.Enjoy dads firearms.