Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Turning 18, Firing Range Question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/turning-18-firing-range-question-46167/)

xneogenx 08-02-2011 07:41 PM

Turning 18, Firing Range Question
 
So I have had an interest in firearms for a long time. Not as a tool for aggression as most people will seem to perceive them as, but as a relaxation in a firing range, or self defense if it ever comes to that in a dire situation. I will be turning 18 this September 4th, and I want to go to a firing range for the first time soon after. But I want to get some information clarified to me.

I live in the state of New Jersey, and I am aware of the firearm laws here. I cannot own a semi-automatic rifle/shotgun until the age of 18, and I cannot own a firearm until the age of 21. Now here is where my question comes into play. My father (whom passed away only a few years ago of cancer) was a police officer, so understandably, he had a few guns from his time. He owns a Stainless Steel High Standard 22 Magnum Derringer, a Stainless Steel Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chiefs Special .38 Special, and a Blue Steel Sig Sauer Model 230 .380 Semi-Automatic. All of these weapons are in a great condition and are capable to be safely fired.

My question is, due to the law saying I cannot legally own these weapons myself, would I still be able to legally bring these 3 firearms to the shooting range, purchase ammunition for them there, and use them at the range? Or at the age of 18 would I only be able to bring a rifle for firing?

bkt 08-02-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xneogenx (Post 554764)
So I have had an interest in firearms for a long time. Not as a tool for aggression as most people will seem to perceive them as, but as a relaxation in a firing range, or self defense if it ever comes to that in a dire situation. I will be turning 18 this September 4th, and I want to go to a firing range for the first time soon after. But I want to get some information clarified to me.

I live in the state of New Jersey, and I am aware of the firearm laws here. I cannot own a semi-automatic rifle/shotgun until the age of 18, and I cannot own a firearm until the age of 21. Now here is where my question comes into play. My father (whom passed away only a few years ago of cancer) was a police officer, so understandably, he had a few guns from his time. He owns a Stainless Steel High Standard 22 Magnum Derringer, a Stainless Steel Smith & Wesson Model 36 Chiefs Special .38 Special, and a Blue Steel Sig Sauer Model 230 .380 Semi-Automatic. All of these weapons are in a great condition and are capable to be safely fired.

My question is, due to the law saying I cannot legally own these weapons myself, would I still be able to legally bring these 3 firearms to the shooting range, purchase ammunition for them there, and use them at the range? Or at the age of 18 would I only be able to bring a rifle for firing?

Sorry to hear about your dad passing away.

The people who can authoritatively answer your question are the folks who run the shooting range. Give them a call and ask.

In New York, you cannot handle or be in possession of a handgun unless you have a permit. If you inherit a handgun, you must leave it with a friend who has a permit or leave it with a trusted FFL while you wait to get your permit or the estate must sell it immediately. If the laws in New Jersey are similar and your mom or whichever adult you live with does not have a permit, you may not want to bring undue attention to the fact your family is in possession of these handguns until you can legally get everything squared away; it would be a shame if they were confiscated outright.

So you might want to do some research first on being in possession of handguns and understand the status of the adult(s) living with you and the legality of it all BEFORE you call the range.

Happy upcoming birthday! My son's the same age, but we managed to get him out shooting quite some time ago. :-)

danf_fl 08-02-2011 08:15 PM

I do not know the laws of New Jersey.
I believe that the state has a website for some of your questions.

Because those firearms probably belong to your mother (because of your age), maybe you should ask her opinion.

One thing that may assist is your offering to clean the weapons (and don't dry fire the .22's). See if your mother has the manuals and read them, study them, remember them.

Good luck.

c3shooter 08-02-2011 08:21 PM

Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer. My legal advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

For NJ laws- CLICK HERE: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

However, there is also a FEDERAL law that applies. A person under he age of 21 may not purchase HANDGUN ammo. There is an exception for dual purpose ammo IF it is to be used in a long gun.

So no, you can't. However, many states have an exception for a minor under the direct instruction of an adult when that adult legally possesses a firearm. Check with the range.

therewolf 08-02-2011 08:53 PM

OR-you can do what I, and many like me, did.

LEAVE New Jersey.

Find out what it's like to have gun ownership and CCW

in a REAL state...

xneogenx 08-02-2011 09:29 PM

Well I am pretty positive that my mother legally owns these weapons, but if not I have no doubt my oldest brother of 25 has a permit, because he has taken them to the range prior to now. I will be talking to my friend's father, whom is a police officer, about all of this soon but I wanted to get some information about it all first. My main concern is the ammunition. I am sure I would be fine to take the guns to a range, but I would need to buy ammunition for them and I am not completely sure if I can legally buy it at the age of 18.



And trust me, when I am through in college and I have the money, I plan to move from New Jersey most likely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 554783)
Sorry to hear about your dad passing away.

The people who can authoritatively answer your question are the folks who run the shooting range. Give them a call and ask.

In New York, you cannot handle or be in possession of a handgun unless you have a permit. If you inherit a handgun, you must leave it with a friend who has a permit or leave it with a trusted FFL while you wait to get your permit or the estate must sell it immediately. If the laws in New Jersey are similar and your mom or whichever adult you live with does not have a permit, you may not want to bring undue attention to the fact your family is in possession of these handguns until you can legally get everything squared away; it would be a shame if they were confiscated outright.

So you might want to do some research first on being in possession of handguns and understand the status of the adult(s) living with you and the legality of it all BEFORE you call the range.

Happy upcoming birthday! My son's the same age, but we managed to get him out shooting quite some time ago. :-)


c3shooter 08-03-2011 12:04 AM

Am quite sure you cannot legally purchase handgun ammo until you are 21 in ANY state. This is a C&P from the Federal law, which is Title 18, US Code, Section 922:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliveró
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age

xneogenx 08-03-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 554941)
Am quite sure you cannot legally purchase handgun ammo until you are 21 in ANY state. This is a C&P from the Federal law, which is Title 18, US Code, Section 922:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliveró
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age

ALright than on another note to that subject, If the ammo was purchased for me already, and I brought the weapon and ammunition to the range, would that be acceptable (assuming this range allows outside ammunition)? Or would it still fall under the same jurisdiction?

jjfuller1 08-03-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 554941)
Am quite sure you cannot legally purchase handgun ammo until you are 21 in ANY state. This is a C&P from the Federal law, which is Title 18, US Code, Section 922:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliveró
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age

thats true.. unless its for a rifle.. they make rifle carbines in everything, 9mm ,.40 ,45, and 357.. i just say its for my rifle. and they dont bat an eye.. or online... its a peice of cake

xneogenx 08-03-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 554944)
thats true.. unless its for a rifle.. they make rifle carbines in everything, 9mm ,.40 ,45, and 357.. i just say its for my rifle. and they dont bat an eye.. or online... its a peice of cake

WHich is a true thing. I want to buy a Marlin 925 .22 Bolt Action Rifle. Coincidentally, my .22 Magnum Derringer accepts rifle rounds. So if I wanted to, I could cross load.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.