Trip from VA to NC
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Trip from VA to NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Trip from VA to NC

I am driving from Virginia to North Carolina. I've been reading all the laws about interstate transportation of firearms, how they need to be locked and unloaded in an out of reach place, but if my permit is valid in both states, do I need to do that? Or just do it for the 10 seconds when I'm crossing the state line?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Without looking it up, I'd be inclined to say you'll be alright...reciprocity...I cross the border all the time, never had an issue...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Just leave them locked and unloaded and you have nothing to worry about. Once in the state if your license is valid lock and load.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8838 Times on 3826 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

So YOU are the guy I get behind on I-85! We were trying to figure out what the hell you were doing at the state line! We thought you had an under age female in the car, and were debating whether to cross a state line!

Seriously? If you have a concealed carry license that is recognized in both states, you need to do nothing. Just as your driver's license is valid in both states- you do not stop at the state line, push your car across, and then resume driving. You are welcome to carry concealed in both states, and when traveling back and forth between them.

Now, the speed limit is 65. If we find you on the interstate taking 10 seconds to cross the border AGAIN, gonna lay on the horn!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #5

Liked 1079 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 552

phssssstttt , I drove around in DC locked and loaded , drive like a angel and draw no attention to yourself and you will be fine , if not , how long does it take to drop a mag and toss it in the back seat ?
NO NO NO dont listen to me or take my advice , what i do is my own stupidity , but im not going to have a gun on me or in the car that is not loaded , Uncle Sam is not going to be there when I need him .

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

buddy of mine lives in VA Beach and is down in OBX for the week. He just tossed his 1911 Condition 1 in the center console and doesn't worry about it. If you get pulled over KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about it.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #7

Well if the leo comes up to your window with a wad of tabacker in his mouth , its prob ok to tell him . LMAO

I usually yell out '' I have a $hit load of loaded guns in the back seat and a 9mm in the front ''.
But instead of getting out my info before they get to you , I start unloading and dropping mags on the dash board . When he comes up and ask for my info , I tell him '' Im going for my wallet then Im going for my registration . Unless I know the leo which i do most of the time and we end up looking and talking about all the guns or crap I have on me and start comparing size and weight lol .... of the guns that is

You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #8

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
buddy of mine lives in VA Beach and is down in OBX for the week. He just tossed his 1911 Condition 1 in the center console and doesn't worry about it. If you get pulled over KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about it.

I'd advise against that...NC is an 'obligation to inform' state. If I get pulled over sporting NC tags and I don't inform, I'm in trouble. My CCW shows up when they run my tag #. I'm not sure if it works like this with out of state tags though... Better to err on the side of caution...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #9

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine
Unless I know the leo which i do most of the time ...
I am retired from Colorado, and now live in Vegas.

The LEO's that know me here, would never pull me over.

If your getting pulled over by line officers that know you, you must really be a bad driver ha ha ha

Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #10

Well I have a few different trucks and most time , they have no choice but to pull me , If im blowing by others at 80mph and he does nothing , makes them look bad , not saying he has to write me but at least make the show look good