Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > travling with firearms US code.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default travling with firearms US code.

I was wondering about this because I might drive to FL with my gun. And I will have to driv thru that anti gun State ILLIONS I65 to I 75 so if I read this code right the gun and ammo have to be in different parts of my truck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec 18 USC 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms.
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Interstate travel with a firearm is, therefore, permissible as long as the firearm is unloaded and in such a place that it is completely inaccessible (preferably the trunk of the vehicle).

HOWEVER, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT CITIZENS PLANNING TO TRAVEL WITH A FIREARM SHOULD CALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OR LICENSING AUTHORITIES IN THE STATES TO OR THROUGH WHICH THEY WILL BE TRAVELING TO OBTAIN THE LATEST INFORMATION REGARDING WEAPON TRANSPORT LAWS. IN SOME CASES, STATE LAW TAKES PRECEDENCE OVER FEDERAL LAW REGARDING INTERSTATE TRANSPORT OF FIREARMS.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Peaceable Journey Act. Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer- I am a useful member of society-

IF it is legal to possess at both ends of trip, you are not making extended stopovers where it is not legal to possess-

Lock UNLOADED gun and ammo in trunk. Pickup, no trunk? Lock UNLOADED gun and ammo in a locked case. Put it behind the seat. FWIW, I have a locking diamond plate toolbox on my pickup. To comply withe the Fed law, gun cannot be accessible without going thru a lock, glovebox does not count.

I do know there are reports of some localities that are in violation of the Federal law.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I make the trip I still have to make some phone calls -

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #4

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Try our resources here:

Concealed Carry and Travel Resources

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the info

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #6

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You don't really have to worry about it as long as you're not driving through Chicago. The farther South you get in IL the less and less they care about enforcing those gun laws. Seriously. Like others have said I'm not a lawyer, but I live just on the other side of the river in St. Louis and frequent IL often. If you think of IL in terms of democrats and republicans, its really easy to separate them geographically. Chicago = democrats. not chicago = republicans.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #7

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

It is always great, but not recommended to travel with U.S code. Whether you're traveling out of state, in town, or taking a trip to any given shooting range.

Zoey,

Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6759 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Peaceable Journey Act. Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer- I am a useful member of society-

IF it is legal to possess at both ends of trip, you are not making extended stopovers where it is not legal to possess-

Lock UNLOADED gun and ammo in trunk. Pickup, no trunk? Lock UNLOADED gun and ammo in a locked case. Put it behind the seat. FWIW, I have a locking diamond plate toolbox on my pickup. To comply withe the Fed law, gun cannot be accessible without going thru a lock, glovebox does not count.

I do know there are reports of some localities that are in violation of the Federal law.
This is correct.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #9

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

When ever I transport guns I keep the ammo in the way back of the car, the bolt in the glove compartment, and the gun in the back. Unless its a revolver then I keep the gun in the trunk in a hard case and the ammo in the glove box.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED