Travelling with guns on a plane
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Travelling with guns on a plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Default Travelling with guns on a plane

Anybody tried bringing a gun in their checked luggage? I was wondering how big of a pain it was and how much trouble the folks there gave you. Does it matter which airline you choose? I may be traveling for work in the near future and am curious about bringing my carry gun along.
Thanks for your help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I'm not sure about the plane part but be sure to check the laws out for the places you travel to. Not just state law either, because some cities can have some pretty crazy crap on the books. Good luck to you though. Hopefully someone here can answer your question.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1211 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Walk up to the counter, tell the folks you have a firearm to declare. It must be unloaded. Then lock it its case. Ammo must be in a separate container, the manufacturer's package is acceptable.

Best way to guarantee your luggage will not get lost.

All airlines have their rules on their websites.

Southwest's:

Guns and Ammunition
Guns

Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.
Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.
Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.
Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:
A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.
A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.
The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.
Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.
Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.
Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.
Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.
Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.
The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.
Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).
Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!
Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.
Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.
Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be conditionally accepted.
- See more at: http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_ 7

Old 02-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #4

Liked 1861 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Must be unloaded and locked in a hard sided container. I use a simple plastic gun box. The kind with soft foam inside. Mine was $5 or $6 at Sportsmans Warehouse. Ammo must be in an approved container. The original box seems to work ok. The lock on the gun box must not be a TSA lock. They are not allowed to be able to open it. When you get to the counter you must declare that you need to have a firearm checked in your bag. They may or may not ask you to open it. But be prepared to. I have had mine opened. I have also had one go through the xray machine. Make sure that you are legal where you are going. You dont want to end up in a state that has a mag limit of 10 rounds if your gun holds 15. California has some really weird laws. I dont bother to bring mine if I have to go there. If you have a ccw make sure they recognize it where you are going. I have not had to fly with a gun for about 4 years. But I dont think it has changed. The signs at the airport are still the same.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #5

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Thanks guys. That sounds like good advice. My gun case has 2 holes for locks, one on either side of the handle. Would I need two locks or just one? I guess I could find a "2 locks one key" pack somewhere.