Traveling by airport

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Traveling by airport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 680

Default Traveling by airport

If you own a firearm in a state for example NY. And you are taking said firearms to another state for hunting. What do you have to do legally. I understand it would be locked in a pelican case, with no ammo and put in the belly of the plane. But are there forms to fill out or anything that must be done prior to flight?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5738 Times on 2997 Posts
Likes Given: 379

a lot of the rules are airline specific. the basic minimum guidlines from tsa are below click the link for the better formated version. the tsa doesnt care if the ammo is in your luggage or with the guns so long as they arent loaded. airline specific rules vary. some do not even allow firearms. i would also contact each airport your flying through on their firearm policies ESPECIALLY when you return to newyark

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Firearms and Ammunition
Traveling with Special Items
Share on emailShare on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinShare on diggShare on deliciousShare on redditShare on stumbleuponShare on google_plusone_share
Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage.

Realistic replicas of firearms are also prohibited in carry-on bags and must be packed in checked baggage. Rifle scopes are permitted in carry-on and checked bags.

Gun in hard case.In addition to TSA security rules on transporting firearms, airlines, as well as state, local and international governments have additional rules that may vary by location. Please check with your airline and with states and cities you will be traveling into and out of to become familiar with their requirements and ensure you are compliant with their laws. Before traveling outside of the United States with firearms and/or ammunition, you should also read U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s guidance.

Law Enforcement Officers: There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Please read our policies for law enforcement officers traveling with firearms.

To avoid issues that could impact your travel and/or result in law enforcement action, here are some guidelines to assist you in packing your firearms and ammunition:

All firearms must be declared to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The term firearm includes:*Please see, for instance, United States Code, Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 44 for information about firearm definitions.
Any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, or is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive.
The frame or receiver of any such weapon.
Any firearm muffler or firearm silencer.
Any destructive device.
The firearm must be unloaded.
As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 - "A loaded firearm means a firearm that has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm."
The firearm must be in a hard-sided container that is locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.
If firearms are not properly declared or packaged, TSA will provide the checked bag to law enforcement for resolution with the airline. If the issue is resolved, law enforcement will release the bag to TSA so screening may be completed.
TSA must resolve all alarms in checked baggage. If a locked container containing a firearm alarms, TSA will contact the airline, who will make a reasonable attempt to contact the owner and advise the passenger to go to the screening location. If contact is not made, the container will not be placed on the aircraft.
If a locked container alarms during screening and is not marked as containing a declared firearm, TSA will cut the lock in order to resolve the alarm.
Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.
Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder.
Rifle scopes are not prohibited in carry-on bags and do not need to be in the hard-sided, locked checked bag.
Guns and Firearms

Item Carry-on Checked
Small arms ammunition, including ammunition up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge- Check with your airline or travel agent to see if ammunition is permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Small arms ammunitions for personal use must be securely packaged in fiber, wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply. No Yes
BB guns No Yes
Compressed Air Guns, including rifles and pistols (to include paintball markers) - Carried in checked luggage without compressed air cylinder attached. No Yes
Firearms - firearms carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. No Yes
Flare Guns - May be carried as checked baggage MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. Read our section on Camping. No Yes
Flares No No
Gun Lighters* No Yes
Gun Powder including black powder and percussion caps No No
Parts of Guns and Firearms (e.g., frames, receivers, ammunition clips, magazines) No Yes
Pellet Guns No Yes
Realistic Replicas of Firearms No Yes
Starter Pistols - can only be carried as checked baggage and MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. No Yes
NOTE: Check with your airline or travel agent to see if firearms are permitted in checked baggage on the airline you are flying. Ask about limitations or fees, if any, that apply.

*Permitted in checked baggage only if it does not contain lighter fluid.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-01-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:46 AM   #3
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 374 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 643

For me here in OK - it depends on the rules of the airline. Southwest, which is who I most frequently fly with has the easy button. I bring it in - in a Pelican case with Pelican TSA approved locks, put it on the scales, say "gun inside, would you like me to open it" they give me a little tag to fill out and stick in the case and away it goes.

Here is what I have found upon arrival, some airports let the gun come through with the standard luggage, and some hold it with a customer service rep by the baggage claim conveyor. Personally, I like that more better....

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-01-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 374 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Speaking of airlines - did you all know women get to fly free on Southwest? At least their commercial says "bags fly for free"

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2769 Times on 1447 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Keep in mind, some airlines require the ammo be in "the original packaging". Not loaded in magazines, etc.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8942 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Ammo in magazines will have 1 primer exposed to impact- a no-no for the airlines. You can have ammo in an ammo box. OR mags in a mag carrier that covers the exposed cartridge.

READ what you airline says. Allow yourself a few minutes extra. Make DAMNED sure gun is NOT loaded. When you get to the check in counter, smile, say "Good morning! I would like to DECLARE an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." and things will pretty much proceed as already described.

Walking up and saying "I have a gun." may not end as well.

Make sure there is no ammo in any CARRY ON bag.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

deg Likes This 
Old 07-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1180 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
READ what you airline says. Allow yourself a few minutes extra. Make DAMNED sure gun is NOT loaded. When you get to the check in counter, smile, say "Good morning! I would like to DECLARE an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." and things will pretty much proceed as already described.

Walking up and saying "I have a gun." may not end as well.
That's when we start talking about "remember JJ? Whatever happened to him?"

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/