Transporting Shotgun with Pistol Grip - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Transporting Shotgun with Pistol Grip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks Jpyle.....it should be under 49 CFR if it exists but as far as I can tell there is no such regulation. You would think "equal protection" would apply in this matter. Skullcrusher might have the skinny on it.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-28-2010, 05:03 AM   #12

I spoke with a police officer today and asked him about this. His response was "Absolutely he can keep a gun in his truck in any state, but different states might restrict the type of gun and how it is stored." He went on to talk about how for a big rig driver, that truck is their home for periods of time and whatever they are hauling is their livelihood, and they have the right to defend that.

It is true that most trucking companies have policies against drivers having guns in trucks. The company my dad drives for recently had a meeting with the drivers about safety, since they run a lot along the border. They were basically told how it is getting more and more dangerous along the border, and the drivers need to be alert and "do what you need to do to stay safe".

I know the shotgun is legal in Texas. The only concern I would have is in California, due to their backwards gun laws. It is the pistol grip with no stock that is confusing. I know you have to be 21+ to buy the shotgun (18 for normal shotguns).

I just dont know if the gun is even legal to have in California and what the laws are as far as storing the gun/ammo in California, Arizona and New Mexico.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 AM   #13

I'm still not feeling good about this. We have JPYLE and a police officer in the affirmative and Skullcrusher out on the limb. If you have something Skullcrusher please let us know so we can be reasonably assured about this issue. Please weigh in with something pro or con, I'll never be mean spirited again, I promise. All that I ever wanted was to be your friend....even after you and Tango viciously attacked and douched me.

NRA Member
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Any gun unloaded in a case out of the reach of the driver is very different from loaded either concealed in the cab or openly in the cab.

Pistol grip shotty loaded within reach of the driver in Cali?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #15

Wanted to know your take about the legality of possessing a firearm in a big rig....not the legality of the configuration. Sorry for the confusion.

NRA Member
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 10-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 556plinker View Post
Wanted to know your take about the legality of possessing a firearm in a big rig....not the legality of the configuration. Sorry for the confusion.
I am not a lawyer. Your answer is plainly stated here.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/transporting-shotgun-pistol-grip-33574/#post375408

"Shipping of Firearms" is a biggie with those prosecutors and judges that lean to the anti's. "Right to Self Defense" is a biggie of those the other way.

LEAs regonize the importance of the trucking industry for many reasons.

What % of truck drivers are arrested and charged with some form of firearms violation as a primary count? How about as a secondary count?

FTA,

Consult a lawyer is my advice to your father.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

This could be a good question for the NRA as any fed restrictions could be a violation of the 2nd Amendment. If a rig is equipped with living quarters it could be construed as a home but that might be stretching it. It sounds like a double barrel might be the way to go along with a hidden compartment. Then there is the old addage, "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6." I know a lot of people that carry without a permit in the PRK.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 399 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Default Ccw

Having a Utah CCW might clear up some of the problem since it has reciprocity with so many other states. Having a Taurus Judge would clear up a little more of the problem given that its an easily concealable pistol that'll chamber a .410 shot. Just some redneck 2 cents.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
This could be a good question for the NRA as any fed restrictions could be a violation of the 2nd Amendment. If a rig is equipped with living quarters it could be construed as a home but that might be stretching it. It sounds like a double barrel might be the way to go along with a hidden compartment. Then there is the old addage, "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6." I know a lot of people that carry without a permit in the PRK.
So, you know a lot of potential felons? Are you promoting such activity?

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I am not promoting illegal carry. I am just telling it like it is. Crooks in the PRK know they are relatively safe when the assault and rob some one. They also know that a lot of truckers and RVers carry guns in their vehicles. I tow a trailer so I cant legally keep a firearm handy while I am towing but most of the people in motorhomes have one since a motor home is classified as a home. Most of the politicians in the PRK are afraid of guns and they are probably crooks. A bunch of them carry. They just dont think the public is capable of carrying or making decisions. They could be right since they voted for those rectal orfices.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
Sigmund Freud