Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Transporting a Rifle/Ammo across several State lines.. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/transporting-rifle-ammo-across-several-state-lines-4289/)

RL357Mag 04-30-2008 12:19 AM

Transporting a Rifle/Ammo across several State lines..

I am going to Camp LeJeune to see my son off to Iraq in July. I would like to bring my DPMS .308 AR and a few hundred rounds of ammo with me to see how well the Marines taught him! (They have a range on base that is accessible to parents and guests) My question is I will be driving through several states (Penn, NJ, De, Md, Va, W.Va) As far as I know it's okay to transport accross state lines as long as my gun is in a case, unloaded and the ammo in another part of the vehicle and inaccessible. I have a Jeep Liberty with no trunk, so the gun will be in the cargo area and the ammo in a locked container in the back seat. I will not be going down I-95 or through DC. Anyone see any problems or issues I may have missed? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

bkt 04-30-2008 12:44 AM

You should be OK with that. Pioneer461 posted this link to the Firearm Owners Protection Act which might help answer any questions you have.

Give your son our thanks.

RL357Mag 04-30-2008 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 22854)
You should be OK with that. Pioneer461 posted this link to the Firearm Owners Protection Act which might help answer any questions you have.

Give your son our thanks.

BKT-
Thank you for the info - it is a very informative article containing AWB info I never knew! When I ordered my DPMS AR it shipped with two 19 rd. mags. I am assuming either DPMS in unaware of NY's high capacity ban, or the mags are pre-ban? The odd thing about DPMS .308 mags however, is that no other manufacturer's mags will fit a DPMS .308 AR! I will have to call them because I don't even know if they made a .308 AR prior to 1994? The scary part as the article pointed out, is LE does know!

I will relay your "thanks" to my son - and thank you again.

bkt 04-30-2008 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RL357Mag (Post 22883)
BKT-
Thank you for the info - it is a very informative article containing AWB info I never knew! When I ordered my DPMS AR it shipped with two 19 rd. mags. I am assuming either DPMS in unaware of NY's high capacity ban, or the mags are pre-ban? The odd thing about DPMS .308 mags however, is that no other manufacturer's mags will fit a DPMS .308 AR! I will have to call them because I don't even know if they made a .308 AR prior to 1994?

Good question. If there were any .308 AR mags made prior to 1994 and your mags have no markings on them that indicate a date (including the stamp of a manufacturer that came into existence after 1994), then you're OK with them.

Magazines are separate from the firearm in NYS; you can own a post-ban rifle and use pre-ban (or unmarked, which is the same thing) hi-cap mags mags with it.