Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Transporting Handguns Across country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Transporting Handguns Across country

I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is how can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Arrange to have your handguns sent to a FFL for transfer to your uncle. I'm in Rochester and if your uncle is relatively nearby I can recommend a good FFL.

Unfortunately, you can't be in possession of your own handguns until you get your NY permit.

What county are you applying in?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Arrange to have your handguns sent to a FFL for transfer to your uncle. I'm in Rochester and if your uncle is relatively nearby I can recommend a good FFL.

Unfortunately, you can't be in possession of your own handguns until you get your NY permit.

What county are you applying in?
He is right just mail them FFL to FFL
unless you just want to resurch every states laws !?!

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
He is right just mail them FFL to FFL
unless you just want to resurch every states laws !?!
This isn't necessarily true. The Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows for interstate transportations of your personal firearms while travelling, as long as it's legal for you to posess them on both ends of your trip. The firearms must also be unloaded, locked in a case and inaccessable to people in the vehicle while in motion. (locked in the trunk)
In this case, it's legal to have them in NM, but NOT in NY, so the law dosen't apply. But if he were travelling to Vermont, or any other state that recognizes his NM gun permit, it would be legal to do so.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 04-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
This isn't necessarily true. The Gun Owners Protection Act of 1986 allows for interstate transportations of your personal firearms while travelling, as long as it's legal for you to posess them on both ends of your trip. The firearms must also be unloaded, locked in a case and inaccessable to people in the vehicle while in motion. (locked in the trunk)
In this case, it's legal to have them in NM, but NOT in NY, so the law dosen't apply. But if he were travelling to Vermont, or any other state that recognizes his NM gun permit, it would be legal to do so.
wow really i did not know that well now i do thanx Zappa

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Zappa is 100% correct. Go to the following link to get the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Zappa is 100% correct. Go to the following link to get the details.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
Yes, he is correct. You can transport handguns through states if your destination is a state that will honor your permit from another state. But the OP wants to end up in New York State which has absolutely no reciprocity with any other state. So, until he has his permit, he can't legally bring his handguns here himself.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Yes, he is correct. You can transport handguns through states if your destination is a state that will honor your permit from another state. But the OP wants to end up in New York State which has absolutely no reciprocity with any other state. So, until he has his permit, he can't legally bring his handguns here himself.
Not all gun owners have carry permits. Unless you need a permit to own a firearm in NY state, the law applies.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer461 View Post
Not all gun owners have carry permits. Unless you need a permit to own a firearm in NY state, the law applies.
The firearm in question is a handgun and yes, you certainly do need a permit in New York State to even touch one legally. (Permits in New York are either CCW or just plain ownership like for target shooting or hunting.)

So while you are absolutely 100% correct that he can legally pass through New York State on the way to a destination where his permit (or lack thereof) is legal, he can't move to New York and bring his handgun until he has his permit.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenr19 View Post
I currently live in New Mexico where the handgun laws aren't that strict. I own three handguns, however in a couple of months I will be getting out of the military and moving home to Upstate New York. I am in the process of getting a pistol permit in New York, but it takes awhile and I will not have it by the time I move home. I plan on keeping them with my uncle who has a permit. The question is how can I drive home with my handguns without getting in trouble?

I live in Upstate NY also - near the Lake George region. You must have your handguns transferred to an FFL. Additionally, you must be a NY resident for 6 mos. before you can even apply for a CCW permit. If you need an FFL in this area let me know!