Transfer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Default Transfer

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong spot for those thread. I live in Oregon, and I was given one of my late grandfathers rifles for Christmas. How can I get it registered to me? I don't even know off it was in his name ever.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 03:43 AM   #2

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Check with a local LEA it's your best bet, but I'm sure there are online resources for your state's laws and regulations.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Yep, check with your local LEA. Depending on your states laws, you may have to register it, or may not have to do anything.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8876 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

What is this "registration" 0f which you speak?

Common misconception- that all firearms are "registered" with some agency. That some law requires this. False.

There is no FEDERAL law that requires registration of ordinary firearms, such as rifles, pistols or shotguns. SOME states (very few) require it. Oregon is not one of those states. See link to NRA summary of Oregon law: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ORSL.pdf

When you get a gun from a DEALER, the dealer must retain a record of the sale. It is in a filing cabinet at the dealer's place of business. They keep it for 20 years.

When you acquire a gun from a state other than the state where you reside, it must pass thru a dealer. There is an exception in Federal law for inherited guns. Covered in US Code Title 18 Section 922. The Executor of the estate can send those directly to you so long as you can legally own that gun in your home state.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
What is this "registration" 0f which you speak?

Common misconception- that all firearms are "registered" with some agency. That some law requires this. False.

There is no FEDERAL law that requires registration of ordinary firearms, such as rifles, pistols or shotguns. SOME states (very few) require it. Oregon is not one of those states. See link to NRA summary of Oregon law: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ORSL.pdf
I stand corrected.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #6

I mean to put it in my name. That way i can prove i own it. In the case that it ever gets stolen or anything.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Was it in a will by any chance? And is there any documentation that he owned it, such as gunsmith service receipts?

In my state, its up to the owner to prove ownership in the case of theft, which having the SN recorded and reporting it stolen in a timely manner generally suffices.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Understand what you are saying- but you are looking for something that does not exist- ie- you can't put your TV 'in your name". Same thing with a gun in most places. There is no place to do it. There is no "Department of Gun Registration".

Here is what I do- I maintain an inventory, on computer, with a copy backed up on a CD stored elsewhere. Do a page for each gun- make, model, caliber, serial number, when acquired from who- and a pair of photos.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:54 AM   #9

Alright. I will do that. So then when I buy off of sites such as auctionarms.com do i have to go through and FFL and fill out all the background check and registration papers. They arent selling me the gun. They are acting as a middle man... Confused.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

When you buy a gun from someone in another state, you receive it thru a dealer in your home state. Again, if you INHERIT a firearm, that is the one exception spelled out in Federal law (well, there are a couple of others, but if you do not live on a remote island in Alaska, and are not a LEO, etc they do not apply)

The dealer has you complete a form 4473, and runs the computer check. THAT IS NOT REGISTRATION OF THE GUN. The computer check does not list what you bought. The form 4473 goes in the dealer's files, is retained for 20 years.

You may acquire a gun from a private citizen without going thru a dealer when you both reside in the same state. Some states (NC for example) requires you to have a handgun purchase permit, even in a private sale. Oregon does not.

IF your grandad's guns are in another state from you, and you are buying them, they need to be sent to a dealer in your state, and processed thru him. If they are passing to you as part of Gramp's estate, they can come straight to you.

C&P from the Federal law- 18 US Code 922. It shall be unlawful.......

(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport
into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person
is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it
maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise
obtained by such person outside that State, except that this
paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires
a firearm by bequest or intestate succession
in a State other
than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or
receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to
purchase or possess such firearm in that State

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.