Tombstone, OK Corral, The Earps & the 2A

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Tombstone, OK Corral, The Earps & the 2A

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default Tombstone, OK Corral, The Earps & the 2A

The Earps are always portrayed as the "good guys" in the movies and the Clantons and the Cowboys' gang are portayed as the corrupted bad guys.

The Earps were appointed as town sherriff and deputies and had imposed a town ordinance/law of "no guns carried in town". The shootout at the OK corral was the Earps attempt to disarm the group of cowboys who were bearing arms against the town ordinance.

Were the Earps really the good guys?

Some quotes:

"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)]

"The provision in the Constitution granting the right to all persons to bear arms is a limitation upon the power of the Legislature to enact any law to the contrary. The exercise of a right guaranteed by the Constitution cannot be made subject to the will of the sheriff." [People vs. Zerillo, 219 Mich. 635, 189 N.W. 927, at 928 (1922)]

Many Wild West towns had troubles in many forms including public intoxication, street murders, prostitution, and common stagecoach robberies, etc. Some hero sherriffs cleaned it up and eventually established law and order accross the territories, but what do you think about the Earps and the 2A? Did they do it right?

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #2

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Anyone who has done actual reading on the Earps, knows that they were not the "good guys" as played out to be. They were mixed up in shady stuff, and brought a lot of their problems on themselves.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

racer_x Likes This 
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

Tombstone is my all time favorite movie, you are ruining it for me! I have watched that movie hundreds of times and never thought about that! Damnit man! Lol, oh well, Doc was my hero anyway!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #4

Liked 4545 Times on 2263 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Doc wasn't so good either, but they didn't try to make him out to be a hero good guy in the movie.

Fun fact, Wyatt Earp really did walk out across the river like he did in the movie, and have a straight up shoot out. They got that right.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #5

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Turkeyhunter , check out the movie "Wyatt Earp" stars Kevin Costsner

Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turkeyhunter View Post
Tombstone is my all time favorite movie, you are ruining it for me! I have watched that movie hundreds of times and never thought about that! Damnit man! Lol, oh well, Doc was my hero anyway!
I liked it so much that when I rented on VHS I watched it 10 times in a row in an all-day marathon until I got a headache and ill. After I recovered, I then bought it outright. I've seen it over 100 times too... Doc is a lunger though you'd agree.

Here is a modern review of the "no guns in town" ordinace that is still on the books in Tombstone. It's never enforced though and is in contradiction to and trumped by Arizona state law even today.

http://www.theepitaph.com/news/1-news/512-no-guns-in-town-a-long-standing-law-yet-generally-ignored

"Right to Bear" is the next big supreme court battle though, so it's important to educate everyone that movies like "tombstone" and confiscations like in Hurricane Katrina make most people think that sherriffs have the power to disarm law-abiding people.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6029 Times on 3160 Posts
Likes Given: 432

the earps and doc holliday were nothing more than murderous thugs that used their "badges" to eliminate anyone that disagreed with them.

no different than billy the kid or jeffery dhamer or adam lanza. \

just murdering scumbags

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
the earps and doc holliday were nothing more than murderous thugs that used their "badges" to eliminate anyone that disagreed with them.

no different than billy the kid or jeffery dhamer or adam lanza. \

just murdering scumbags
I wouldn't go quite that far. Virgil was more of a straight-up lawman. Even in the OK shootout Virgil was recorded in history to have said "No, that's not what we want" in a last-ditch effort to stop the shootout. Virgil also did not participate in the hunting down revenge and Virgil also went on to be a town sherriff in a different town.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
The Earps are always portrayed as the "good guys" in the movies and the Clantons and the Cowboys' gang are portayed as the corrupted bad guys.

The Earps were appointed as town sherriff and deputies and had imposed a town ordinance/law of "no guns carried in town". The shootout at the OK corral was the Earps attempt to disarm the group of cowboys who were bearing arms against the town ordinance.

Were the Earps really the good guys?

Some quotes:

"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)]

"The provision in the Constitution granting the right to all persons to bear arms is a limitation upon the power of the Legislature to enact any law to the contrary. The exercise of a right guaranteed by the Constitution cannot be made subject to the will of the sheriff." [People vs. Zerillo, 219 Mich. 635, 189 N.W. 927, at 928 (1922)]

Many Wild West towns had troubles in many forms including public intoxication, street murders, prostitution, and common stagecoach robberies, etc. Some hero sherriffs cleaned it up and eventually established law and order accross the territories, but what do you think about the Earps and the 2A? Did they do it right?
If you will remember, Wyatt was threatened by Ike Clanton upon his release from jail.
Also, the Cowboys were a renegade bunch of killers and thieves.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkick View Post
If you will remember, Wyatt was threatened by Ike Clanton upon his release from jail.
Also, the Cowboys were a renegade bunch of killers and thieves.
No Ike did NOT threaten Wyatt in real life. It was the other way around. Wyatt told Ike that if he started trouble in town again it wouldn't matter if Ike was armed or not cuz Wyatt would "gun you like the mangy cur you are Ike". Proven historical fact. Of all of the movies about Wyatt Earp the one w Costner is the most historically accurate. Doc was thought to be the one who actually killed the shotgun guard on the Bisbee stage shortly before the Cowboys/Earp war broke down to a powder and lead dispute.