Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Today's senate committee hearing on gun control legislation

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 252 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215
I know it Loc....and I dont know why I allow my blood pressure to spike with some people.

For Christ sake some people just cannot fathom the concept of a LEGAL gun transfer without lumping it into the registration/anti gun agenda! I would not be here posting about anti-gun laws....this is one pretty common sense and could help prevent DOZENS of illegal purchases at gun shows. Many illegals and criminals have discovered the loophole and are exploiting it every week. Get turned down in their home state.....drive 2 hours west and hit up the gun show and do a private sale. Done, you just armed a criminal because you chose profit before principals. By the way this bill got full support even from pro-gun Senators....

some people are just clueless. I understand your frustration and unwillingness to give up your gun rights but this is not one of them! If you do things LEGALLY we wont have these anti-gun liberals barking up our dang tree so much!
I went to a gun show a couple of weeks ago in Slidell, LA. As I was walking around I noticed a lot of vendors doing a NICS check and filling out the 4473's. I hadn't noticed this happening at the previous Slidell shows.
I also saw several people walking around with handwritten FOR SALE signs taped to the muzzles of MSR's and to backpacks of ammo. This really didn't sit well with me. I asked myself if this was right, then also asked myself "why not?. I could not come up with a satisfying answer.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

For the 3rd time....and my last on this thread....

You ask "why not?"

Well, you seem like a good enough guy JG, although I have no idea who you are......but what if the gang banger who just drove 100 miles to attend this show thought the EXACT same thing you did? Instead of wearing his gang colors and baggy sweat pants.....he put on a polo tee and slacks, shaves up a bit and looks presentable. Think the private seller would turn him down? No, many of these guys see money money money....

There is your answer. Step outside of your little world and understand whats happening all over the country right now. Its about responsibility and doing whats right for the entire gun community so that the media starts to portray us in a more positive light. Sure an FFL transfer takes maybe 20 minutes and $30 but for that low cost you have just done the RIGHT thing, legally, and if everyone had to play by these rules there would be much less illegal gun purchases or straw purchases.

END.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #13

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

So now folks want to put in an exemption for ex military and ex-LEO? Does that make the rest of us second class citizens? I think so. As for purchasing records being kept on file , that is a non-starter, as private sales involve zero records most of the time. I do not know the rules in PA , but here in AZ, we do not have to drive to the next state to make a private purchase; in fact that would be illegal. In many of the private transactions I have seen, the buyer usually shows a drivers license to the seller.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #14

Exactly JW.....the bills Feinstein has put on the table are downright despicable. I think a group of vets need to create a class action lawsuit against her for the exact reason you said, she's trying to classify all combat soldiers past and present as mentally "unfit" to carry assault weapons. She wants all combat soldiers to fall under the PTSD umbrella. Thats discrimination at its best...against the people who lay their goddam lives on the line for us daily.

In her sick mind, only cops and active duty should be allowed to own semi auto rifles.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #15

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
For the 3rd time....and my last on this thread....

You ask "why not?"

Well, you seem like a good enough guy JG, although I have no idea who you are......but what if the gang banger who just drove 100 miles to attend this show thought the EXACT same thing you did? Instead of wearing his gang colors and baggy sweat pants.....he put on a polo tee and slacks, shaves up a bit and looks presentable. Think the private seller would turn him down? No, many of these guys see money money money....

There is your answer. Step outside of your little world and understand whats happening all over the country right now. Its about responsibility and doing whats right for the entire gun community so that the media starts to portray us in a more positive light. Sure an FFL transfer takes maybe 20 minutes and $30 but for that low cost you have just done the RIGHT thing, legally, and if everyone had to play by these rules there would be much less illegal gun purchases or straw purchases.

END.
I'm listening and I understand what you're saying completely. I think a lot of my opinions come from me not selling or buying firearms to or from people I don't know. If there was a clause in the bill where I could get a permit or license saying I was a lac then I would not be so against it.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1927 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Your purchase records are on file, plus you are supposed to keep your paperwork on EVERY gun you purchase as proof. Always.

Your statement though is EXACTLY my point about selling guns to people that you dont know for a fact would pass a background check. You dont know, thats why you buy/sell/transfer using a licensed FFL
I would never sell a gun to someone without a proper background check and/or FFL transfer. Law or no law. People that think this is infringement of their 'rights' don't understand how straw buyers get guns into the hands of criminals.....it s big business selling un-registered weapons. Not all criminals commit crimes with stolen guns.

You taking garbage from somebody because you support responsible gun ownership is unfortunate. Especially on a firearms site. Fodder for those who would paint us red-neck idiots
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #17

Thanks for your posts Chloe and Casey. although I wouldnt lose sleep over some of the comments up top....I do personally find it important to discuss these things for all the reasons we discussed and if I can shed light on even 1 person who didnt fully understand the importance of these issues and walked away with a different outlook.....I'm happy.

Is it sometimes a little frustrating to do the right thing? Sure. Does it cost a few extra bucks? Sure. But its ethically, morally, and lawfully the right thing to do for gun transfers to go through an FFL. There's just too much margin for criminal error and THEY KNOW IT.

Unfortunately when you stand behind a principal you dont get to make exceptions for things like a dad passing guns down to his kids.....but there are a LOTTA folks out there that have been doing it the right way for a long time and they deserve kudos. In fact, I would say maybe 1/3 of the time I visit my LGS I see a new face coming in with a bag of guns from his/her recently deceased father who wants to either sell them legally, or transfer to their name legally. Ive also seen MANY gun transfers between 2 parties at the FFL dealers which is very encouraging.

We need to follow the laws to keep the law on our side folks! We cannot succumb to the reckless, irresponsible demographic that some far leftists are trying so hard to paint us with. Us gun folks need to stick together, fly straight and do whats right on the right side of the law. Always. No exceptions.

We can all do the right thing and profit....as buyers, sellers, dealers, etc.

PRINCIPALS BEFORE PROFITS.

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 03-07-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #18

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The enforcement of existing laws, prosecution, punishment and making all gun related crimes which involve injury a federal offense will do much more than a universal background check. 99.99% of gun owners are law abiding and a universal background check won't affect crime, just the ability of legal gun owners to obtain weapons from friends, family and private sellers. Criminals will always be able to find guns without any help from legal sellers. Laws are only as good as the enforcement put upon them. Less than 10% of gun arrests are prosecuted...and those are criminals, not law abiding citizens. Just like an attempt to ban assault weapons will do little to stop gun deaths, but it's a "feel good" law.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #19

Miss - you are 110% right about our government agencies sitting on their asses and not enforcing many of the current laws and prosecuting crimes & reporting cases of mental illness to NICS. that system is broken and needs repair....but now with this goddam sequester we cannot rely on gov to step up and enforce many laws because they are about to slash over 500k government jobs!

Anyways, lets focus again on my post about legal gun transfers and purchases through FFL.....as it pertains to fixing the private sale/gun show loophole. I do NOT support universal background checks/registration, none of us should. I DO support FFL transfers. PERIOD. Uggghhh some of you people seriously need to read before you start typing. This dance is getting old

Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #20

Liked 4672 Times on 2259 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Quote:
Your purchase records are on file, plus you are supposed to keep your paperwork on EVERY gun you purchase as proof. Always.

Your statement though is EXACTLY my point about selling guns to people that you dont know for a fact would pass a background check. You dont know, thats why you buy/sell/transfer using a licensed FFL
SS

I don't think your pushing gun control but I also DO NOT support universal background checks for some simple reasons.

Reason #1 is because they will do no more to curb illegal gun sales than our current system of checks... Our Government currently puts ZERO effort into prosecuting people who get rejected by the NICS despite the fact that it's a Federal crime to lie on the paperwork. Last year 77,000 attempted purchases were stopped, only 44 were "refered" for prosecution and a measly 14 resulted in convictions. To me, ^^THIS^^ proves that it's not about controlling criminal behavior... It is about burdening Law Abiding gun owners.

Reason #2 Serious criminals like the gangbangers who are responsible for the majority of the mayhem will pay no more attention to UBGC's than they currently pay to NCIS... They will simply continue to send "Shenqua" who has no record into FFL's for straw purchases.

Reason #3 I do not think it's remotely possible "even if criminals took part", to effectively have any system of UBGC's without demanding the registration of all firearms... Which is simply a bridge to far.

UBGC's may sound like a reasonable compromise for keeping our AR's and Standard Cap Mags but it's NOT. It is actually the worst of all these proposals and posses the greatest risk to both those who would try to comply AND those who would justifiably refuse.

Tack

Closed Thread