is time for a new political party?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > is time for a new political party?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default is time for a new political party?

Does anyone feel that the political organizations now representing gun lovers are doing a good job?

Do you feel as if you are fighting a losing battle?

Would another organization supporting gun ownership be welcomed? Would it be possible to join forces with other personal freedom groups? Gun rights is not the only personal freedom.

Other personal freedoms the government likes to invade our privacy about include drug taking. (I don't care what you take as long as you don't endanger me.)

Sexual activity: anyone can do anything they want with a consenting adult, as long as they don't bother me.

All these activities give the government the excuse to invade our privacy and legally violate the 4th amendment.

Internet privacy, which governments all over the world are making it harder and harder to get.

Internet censorship-- (like being able to get the working drawings of the WWII British pencil gun online). Which, of course the liberals don't want us to have.

Access to books like those at Delta Press, Paladin, Loompanics...(those that are still around)

If not a new political party, then a new organization to fight for personal freedoms.

Last edited by prof-milton-fireballs; 03-13-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think we need another political party, and I don't think another 2A advocacy group is needed. I think the still fledgling Tea Party will do well representing my/our conservative opinions. As far as 2A advocacy, what we need is for ALL gun owners to join the NRA, GOA and as many others as possible, and make our voices heard! I have seen numbers saying that there are over 80 million gun owners in the US, if ALL of them/us stood up and spoke up, our congress critters would probably not be so quick to discount our votes!!

We will always have to work to keep our freedoms, our rights are worth fighting for. Please keep in mind that when I say 2A advocacy, I really mean all of our rights, but 2A is the one that the libs feel they can just take away for whatever asinine reason they can convince themselves is good enough. The Second is the right that lets us keep the rest of them. Checks and Balances..

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Efforts are currently divided among three or four major gun advocacy groups as it is, more would just muddy the waters.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

A third party will split the vote and allow the Statists to win. Remember Ross Perot?

Support the Tea Party. If we can hold the Republicans feet to the fire, we can defeat the Demofascist party's takeover. We can also boot out the RINO's.

None of them can be trusted, Dem or Repub unless we put the right people in. Then, if we can get enough numbers, we can force the policies that we want and know are right.

A third party will split the vote and allow the Statists to win.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2415 Times on 1307 Posts
Likes Given: 695

1st. Ross Perot was right. It was too bad he diid not follow through as he could have won. Just think, No NAFTA.
2nd. The current 2 major political parties dont represent the people. They represent their own interests. An honest politician is one that stays bought. There are several minor political parties out there but none are yet viable enough to really challenge the major parties. The Tea Party has made some inroads, but is it sustainable? If they can keep up the momentum and do a clean break from the Republican Party, they could field some candidates under their own banner.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Parties aren't the problem.

A lack of principled individuals IN the parties is the problem.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
1st. Ross Perot was right. It was too bad he did not follow through as he could have won. Just think, No NAFTA.
2nd. The current 2 major political parties don't represent the people. They represent their own interests. An honest politician is one that stays bought. There are several minor political parties out there but none are yet viable enough to really challenge the major parties. The Tea Party has made some inroads, but is it sustainable? If they can keep up the momentum and do a clean break from the Republican Party, they could field some candidates under their own banner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

IMHO, both "QFT!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

^^^^
THIS!

The Libertarian party will do for me if the Republicans loose their direction.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

There's the rub. The Libertarian Party is too small to do anything other than split the vote.

I have a hybrid Libertarian/Conservative/Constitutionalist viewpoint. However, the Libertarian platform contains too many things that I disagree with. The first that comes to mind is open borders. As a Christian, I also cannot support same sex marriage.

Hold the Republicans feet to the fire. We essentially have to completely replace any sitting Reps with our Tea Party people.

I can't realistically see any Third Party making inroads at this time or in the near future. Unless the SHTF or there's a Civil War, I don't see any radical change from what is essentially a two party system.

It's a wonderful thing to have principles, but to hold to those principles and ultimately create more problems is not just foolhardy, it could result in a loss of more freedom for the Country.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 03-13-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #10

Liked 51 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Third parties traditionally haven't been viable in the United States, we have always had a two party system, the Republicans filled the breach left by the fracturing Whig party prior to the civil war. Political parties in the US seem to be far more looser collectives than in Europe, based off of my admittedly biased and largely uninformed observation, where they seem to be more ideologically set but force them to form coalitions with other parties to form any governing faction. For example I consider myself a republican, of the libertarian strain, for example, I do not care if gays get married, and I can tell you I have family members, also republicans, that feel very differently. I hope the tea party can change things, though honestly I wouldn't hold my breath, more often than not movements are co-opted and then left behind. We already see this with certain political individuals in our country, some of whom are very prominent and popular amongst conservatives, who voiced support for policies that were fiscally irresponsible and totally against the concepts of liberty, and now try to position themselves as the movers and shakers of the group. I think in the next few years one of two things will happen, a) the republicans have actually seen the light and will actually nominate someone for POTUS who has been addressing the most fundamental issues in this country, or b) they will cop out and elect someone who really isn't that much different than the POTUS we have now, save perhaps possessing certain conservative values. If b) happens things will get ugly and they will get ugly fast.