Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   is time for a new political party? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/time-new-political-party-39736/)

prof-milton-fireballs 03-13-2011 03:27 PM

is time for a new political party?

Does anyone feel that the political organizations now representing gun lovers are doing a good job?

Do you feel as if you are fighting a losing battle?

Would another organization supporting gun ownership be welcomed? Would it be possible to join forces with other personal freedom groups? Gun rights is not the only personal freedom.

Other personal freedoms the government likes to invade our privacy about include drug taking. (I don't care what you take as long as you don't endanger me.)

Sexual activity: anyone can do anything they want with a consenting adult, as long as they don't bother me.

All these activities give the government the excuse to invade our privacy and legally violate the 4th amendment.

Internet privacy, which governments all over the world are making it harder and harder to get.

Internet censorship-- (like being able to get the working drawings of the WWII British pencil gun online). Which, of course the liberals don't want us to have.

Access to books like those at Delta Press, Paladin, Loompanics...(those that are still around)

If not a new political party, then a new organization to fight for personal freedoms.

pandamonium 03-13-2011 04:41 PM

I don't think we need another political party, and I don't think another 2A advocacy group is needed. I think the still fledgling Tea Party will do well representing my/our conservative opinions. As far as 2A advocacy, what we need is for ALL gun owners to join the NRA, GOA and as many others as possible, and make our voices heard! I have seen numbers saying that there are over 80 million gun owners in the US, if ALL of them/us stood up and spoke up, our congress critters would probably not be so quick to discount our votes!!

We will always have to work to keep our freedoms, our rights are worth fighting for. Please keep in mind that when I say 2A advocacy, I really mean all of our rights, but 2A is the one that the libs feel they can just take away for whatever asinine reason they can convince themselves is good enough. The Second is the right that lets us keep the rest of them. Checks and Balances..

dunerunner 03-13-2011 04:43 PM

Efforts are currently divided among three or four major gun advocacy groups as it is, more would just muddy the waters.

CA357 03-13-2011 05:11 PM

A third party will split the vote and allow the Statists to win. Remember Ross Perot?

Support the Tea Party. If we can hold the Republicans feet to the fire, we can defeat the Demofascist party's takeover. We can also boot out the RINO's.

None of them can be trusted, Dem or Repub unless we put the right people in. Then, if we can get enough numbers, we can force the policies that we want and know are right.

A third party will split the vote and allow the Statists to win.

JTJ 03-13-2011 05:40 PM

1st. Ross Perot was right. It was too bad he diid not follow through as he could have won. Just think, No NAFTA.
2nd. The current 2 major political parties dont represent the people. They represent their own interests. An honest politician is one that stays bought. There are several minor political parties out there but none are yet viable enough to really challenge the major parties. The Tea Party has made some inroads, but is it sustainable? If they can keep up the momentum and do a clean break from the Republican Party, they could field some candidates under their own banner.

bkt 03-13-2011 07:26 PM

Parties aren't the problem.

A lack of principled individuals IN the parties is the problem.

IGETEVEN 03-13-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 464046)
1st. Ross Perot was right. It was too bad he did not follow through as he could have won. Just think, No NAFTA.
2nd. The current 2 major political parties don't represent the people. They represent their own interests. An honest politician is one that stays bought. There are several minor political parties out there but none are yet viable enough to really challenge the major parties. The Tea Party has made some inroads, but is it sustainable? If they can keep up the momentum and do a clean break from the Republican Party, they could field some candidates under their own banner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 464093)

IMHO, both "QFT!" :cool:

Cnynrat 03-13-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 464093)

^^^^
THIS!

The Libertarian party will do for me if the Republicans loose their direction.

CA357 03-13-2011 08:42 PM

There's the rub. The Libertarian Party is too small to do anything other than split the vote.

I have a hybrid Libertarian/Conservative/Constitutionalist viewpoint. However, the Libertarian platform contains too many things that I disagree with. The first that comes to mind is open borders. As a Christian, I also cannot support same sex marriage.

Hold the Republicans feet to the fire. We essentially have to completely replace any sitting Reps with our Tea Party people.

I can't realistically see any Third Party making inroads at this time or in the near future. Unless the SHTF or there's a Civil War, I don't see any radical change from what is essentially a two party system.

It's a wonderful thing to have principles, but to hold to those principles and ultimately create more problems is not just foolhardy, it could result in a loss of more freedom for the Country.

k2000k 03-14-2011 05:10 AM

Third parties traditionally haven't been viable in the United States, we have always had a two party system, the Republicans filled the breach left by the fracturing Whig party prior to the civil war. Political parties in the US seem to be far more looser collectives than in Europe, based off of my admittedly biased and largely uninformed observation, where they seem to be more ideologically set but force them to form coalitions with other parties to form any governing faction. For example I consider myself a republican, of the libertarian strain, for example, I do not care if gays get married, and I can tell you I have family members, also republicans, that feel very differently. I hope the tea party can change things, though honestly I wouldn't hold my breath, more often than not movements are co-opted and then left behind. We already see this with certain political individuals in our country, some of whom are very prominent and popular amongst conservatives, who voiced support for policies that were fiscally irresponsible and totally against the concepts of liberty, and now try to position themselves as the movers and shakers of the group. I think in the next few years one of two things will happen, a) the republicans have actually seen the light and will actually nominate someone for POTUS who has been addressing the most fundamental issues in this country, or b) they will cop out and elect someone who really isn't that much different than the POTUS we have now, save perhaps possessing certain conservative values. If b) happens things will get ugly and they will get ugly fast.