Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Three IN Cops Charged With NFA Violations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

That is kind of funny. A few months ago I shipped a stolen/recovered handgun to the rightful owner who now resides in a small municipality in Lake County, IN. It is nice to see that criminals are getting their just deserts, even if they happen to wear a badge when they commit their crimes.

There was a similar situation round these parts a few years back. A neighboring Sheriff's Office allowed Deputies to purchase Ruger AC-556 rifles on agency letterhead. The scheme was legal as they could keep the guns as long as they were employed by that agency. If they ever left their agency, they had to sell the gun to another employee (at or below the original price) who would then keep it as an issue gun. Things got sticky when the Sheriff died and a new guy stepped in. He found records that his agency owned several machine guns, but could not determine where they actually were. He called ATF for assistance. ATF tracked all of them down. One was in possession of a State Trooper who never worked for the Sheriff's office.

ATF gave them the option of giving up the gun or face prosecution. I guess the main difference in the situation was they were not reselling to God knows who for a profit.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

not full auto cop an robbers related but in my small town (4000 pop) our cops decided they needed a harley davidson. I mean really a harley davidson. But yet my neighbors are still cooking dope.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

They'll find a way to prove it's our gun store owners' faults. Did you guys know that border state gun stores have been selling fully automatic weapons to Mexican cartels for years?

Old 10-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I guess the ATF took "Don't steal, the government hates

competition." to heart...

Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #15

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
They'll find a way to prove it's our gun store owners' faults. Did you guys know that border state gun stores have been selling fully automatic weapons to Mexican cartels for years?
Isn't there an additional license one must have to even sell those types? I know that you can't buy one made after 1986 unless you're law enforcement, so, doesn't that also mean that they can't even sell them?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1315 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not to split hairs, but LEOs cannot purchase post 86 full autos. LE AGENCIES can, but not for transfer to an individual. If they were acquiring Class IIIs as an agency purchase, then illegally transferring them to other persons, they are looking at a LONG time in a Fed Pen.
Correct, C3, that's what I meant was in their enforcement duties they could purchase them through their agency who actually owns the firearm. You weren't splitting hairs, it's an important distinction! Thanks for pointing it out.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2049 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 3083

Quote:
I know that you can't buy one made after 1986 unless you're law enforcement, so, doesn't that also mean that they can't even sell them?

The gun can be sold to another LEO in the same department, no one else.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
I wouldn't think it could be sold or transferred to anyone at all, LEO or not. Don't these guns have to be the property of the agency itself?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Not to split hairs, but LEOs cannot purchase post 86 full autos. LE AGENCIES can, but not for transfer to an individual. If they were acquiring Class IIIs as an agency purchase, then illegally transferring them to other persons, they are looking at a LONG time in a Fed Pen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
I'm trusting C3 on this but I think he knows the details. The LEO never owned the gun it's owned by the agency or office not the officer. They might internally have some kind of system to track inventory and what officer has what gun but I believe that legally the agency is the permanent and only owner of the gun. Unless there is some exception for agencies to transfer guns which I believe there is considering when I was in the Air Force we got a shipment of M-16 A1's from the Army.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #20

Liked 1282 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

Cops are just like the rest of us, most are honest, some are crooks. The crooks usually confuse the issue that they are the law, rather than they enforce the laws.

I had a good laugh, when a few weeks ago, the "Chief of Police" in our neighboring (one cop) town was arrested, by the sheriff's dept., on a domestic battery charge. His wife was also arrested. The pair's photo appeared in the local paper, and he looked like he had the hell beat out of him. And the deputies didn't do it. The pair's mug shots looked like a couple of meth-heads having a bad hair day.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan