Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Three IN Cops Charged With NFA Violations (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/three-cops-charged-nfa-violations-49286/)

alsaqr 10-04-2011 08:52 PM

Three IN Cops Charged With NFA Violations

These rocket scientists bought over 70 full auto weapons using the letterhead of the Sheriff's Dep't they worked for. Looks like they sold some of the guns in the internet. They were scoffed up by the BATFE.

USAO Press Release -

Quote:

Between September of 2008 through January of 2010, Kabella, Kumstar and Slusser, used their positions as sworn law enforcement officers to acquire approximately 74 fully automatic H&K machineguns in the name of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department knowing that the Lake County Sheriff’s Department was not the true owner of these machineguns.

When acquiring the machineguns, the defendants knew the machineguns could only be acquired by law enforcement agencies and not individual law enforcement officers. The purchases were made by using Lake County Sheriff’s Department letterhead and purchase orders, providing their own funds for payment. The machine guns were shipped to the Sheriff’s Department and then removed to Slusser’s residence, where they would be prepared for sale on the internet.

PowerViolence 10-04-2011 08:57 PM

No ones safe from the ATF

Mack Bolan 10-04-2011 09:03 PM

when i first heard the report of this on the radio, i thought they were talking about Lake Co., IL which i think would be even more shocking, not because its a better county then the one in indiana( though they probably think they are), but because in line with illinois the gun restrictions are more stringent.

Either way, they'll use this to draw attention to the fact that they police their own, while F&F continues to unravel...

JonM 10-04-2011 10:29 PM

wasnt the only murder ever committed with a registered nfa weapon a law enforcement officer too??

perhaps the sherriffs should be asking permission of the citizens to buy nfa items instead of us having to ask.

after the gunwalker crap i think its time to take away nfa items from law enforcement and give the rights back to the people where they belong...

seems its the leos violating batfe and nfa more than anyone here lately.

ttolhurst 10-04-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsaqr (Post 593514)
These rocket scientists bought over 70 full auto weapons using the letterhead of the Sheriff's Dep't they worked for. Looks like they sold some of the guns in the internet.

What could possibly go wrong???

fmj 10-04-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 593580)
wasnt the only murder ever committed with a registered nfa weapon a law enforcement officer too??

perhaps the sherriffs should be asking permission of the citizens to buy nfa items instead of us having to ask.

after the gunwalker crap i think its time to take away nfa items from law enforcement and give the rights back to the people where they belong...

seems its the leos violating batfe and nfa more than anyone here lately.

again showing in glaring light it is no longer "of the people, by the people for the people" but instead" of the Govt, by the Govt For the Govt"

BenLuby 10-04-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerViolence (Post 593518)
No American is safe from the ATF

Fixed.

:)

TekGreg 10-04-2011 11:01 PM

Government created the market

I wish someone would get serious about repealing the 1986 NFA Act and updating the law for civilian ownership so that this type of crime wouldn't even be worth it! 70 full auto weapons would be worth about $1 mil on the legal market, but who knows what the markup these guys were asking when there was no paperwork required. The only reason they had a market was because LEOs can purchase post-1986 full autos and demand almost any price.

c3shooter 10-04-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

LEOs can purchase post-1986 full autos and demand almost any price.
Not to split hairs, but LEOs cannot purchase post 86 full autos. LE AGENCIES can, but not for transfer to an individual. If they were acquiring Class IIIs as an agency purchase, then illegally transferring them to other persons, they are looking at a LONG time in a Fed Pen.

BenLuby 10-04-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 593618)
Not to split hairs, but LEOs cannot purchase post 86 full autos. LE AGENCIES can, but not for transfer to an individual. If they were acquiring Class IIIs as an agency purchase, then illegally transferring them to other persons, they are looking at a LONG time in a Fed Pen.

Removed. That was just poor taste and don't need the mod's berating me.

You're right c3. They will be out in a loong time. If they're lucky.