Threat or Really Distasteful Joke? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Threat or Really Distasteful Joke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I'm not sure how to look at this. The idea that he has not been charged with a crime but had weapons removed from his home does not set too well threat or not. I've threatened to put my boot up the rear of many people. Some had held office when I said it. Someone want to take my shoes?

According to the quote in the story from the link he didn't say he was going to shoot anyone. I do think it was a dumba$$ thing to say to say the least. I'm not too sure anyone had been threatened. take away the shooting in az. and this quote has no real weight. How many people have said on these boards that they would love to take rep A or Sen-B out and smack the crap out of them? I can't see that as any different. The level of violence is different. But both will be a crime is followed through with. What about all the gun ho youtube ninjas that advocate taking the country back by force if necessary? Should we send a SWAT team to get them? or at the least take any weapons they might have? I didn't real the blog. I'm just going from the article. But takng actino like this sets a tone that I am not all that comfortable with. It just looks like the skin is getting a little thin and it can get a whole lot thinner. Just where should the line be drawn? I'm no lawyer adn I really have no knowledge of what constitutes a threat when it comes to the law. I would imagine it would at the least require the name(s) of those that are being threatened.

I think what has me so unsure is the idea that at the time of this article no charges have been filed but there's enough to take away the mans personal property and possibly remove his right under the 2A. I think if it as me I would be more than a little upset if police took property out of my house but not arrest me or at least file charges giving me a court date. If it's that big a deal then I think it be pretty easy to charge the dumbass man. For something beyond being a dumb as a rock anyway.
It could be his stuff was taken as evidence while an inquiry/investigation is conducted, and/or charges are pending/not yet filed.

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

They would be disarming Thomas Jefferson!! Granted, this person isn't Jeffersonian in any respect and the tone of his speech is not rhetorical but incites violence. These are dangerous times, my friends. May the path of this nation be laid by cooler heads with sound judgment.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrinavatan View Post
It could be his stuff was taken as evidence while an inquiry/investigation is conducted, and/or charges are pending/not yet filed.
But what will be the charge? did he name anyone? I'm asking because I'm too lazy to look for the full blog. It just smells a little to me but as I said I do not have the whole story and nothing ruins a good story faster than learning the other side.

There are tons of sites that call for the head of this or that guy but that wont get the cops out there unless It's some person in the federal government I guess. how long till we get some new and improved flavor of the sedition act?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brandenburg V. Ohio (1969) held that:

"Freedoms of speech and press do not permit a State to forbid advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action"

I can't find his original post so I can't judge whether his advocacy is directed to incite imminent violence, but I smell a civil rights lawsuit in the works. The man has not even been charged with a crime. His remarks anger me, but I hope for the sake of free speech, privacy, due process, and the right to bear arms that the officials involved in this are forced to detail exactly why they did this. Anything less is an insult to the Bill of Rights.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Neither a joke nor a (vague) threat are crimes. This is a knee-jerk reaction by idiots, in light of the Tucson shooting, screwing with someone's rights. That's not good.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm sorry but I really don't see what the issue is other then his statement is extremely insenitive to congresswoman and her family.

Remember the books about killing Bush? The play about it? The endless comments about it. I personally take someone more serious who takes the time to right a book about how to assasinate the sitting POTUS then some guy on a blog. Where those people investigated and their (if they owned any) weapons taken away?
If you want to see threats being made just watch Chris Matthews on national "news".

Outside of being in poor taste the man made a statement and that's it. A very dumb one that will hurt converatives and gun owners.
IMO, his rights have been violated if they are going to take his firearms lincense. Maybe they should come take my soccer shoes because I've said I'd like to kick Obama in the junk.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2187 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 3328

What the guy did is very dumb. The fact that he did it in MA is expotentially dumb.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

That wasn't terribly bright, but i'm not sure i'm OK with a summary suspension of his 2A rights while some judge mulls it over. Did we have a charge, a formal accusation, a grand jury, a trial, anything? It sounds like we had some instant "justice" beyond just authority (even if well-within the bounds of common good taste & sense).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i still dont think we are getting the full story. generally, even after the az thing, the cops dont "come and get ya" for running your mouth on the interweb. there is usually more than just one thing going on.

i generally fall on the side of law enforcement giving them the benefit of the doubt. i think more details of this guy's prior history needs to be let out before a real opinion can be formed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 AM   #20

Given the political climate, anyone who read his post should be immediately disarmed for fear of what they might be inclined to do after reading that vitriolic rhetoric. Dumb, yes! Insensitive, Yes! He now has a "suitability" hearing to determine if he is sane as a result of his blatherings. I say take them away and forever forbid him from owning a firearm if congress is completely wiped out within the next few weeks.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero