Thoughts on this
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Thoughts on this

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Default Thoughts on this

I wanted to get some thoughts on this system. I want to take my Remington 870 and keep it in this bag in the back of my truck: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-Diversion-Carry-Racquet-Bag-Grey-Red-65DC63GYRD-/331256508698?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d206d 311a

Ammo would be kept in the original boxes in the glove box. Could I keep the bag with the gun unloaded behind a truck seat. Keep in mind that because of the length of the 870, the barrel would have to be taken off and placed next to the stock. All I would have to do is take the barrel, slip it on and then screw the barrel nut on, something I can do very fast.

The philosophy of this would be a SHTF gun.

The only legal problem I think would be the ammo stored in the glove box and the gun behind my seat in the truck. The truck is pretty small.

For reference, I live in Ohio.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I personally see no problem. I keep thinking that the 3 step rule applies, you'd have to get ammo out of glove box, get gun from behind seat, put same together and then load it. What I mean by 3 step is it should take more than 3 steps to put weapon into action, at least that is what I was taught long ago when transporting a gun.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:56 AM   #3

Chances of being pulled over: Somewhat small

Chances of truck being searched: Little, I have no bad record nor plan to have one.

I mean the shotgun will be broken in half. But if I ever needed to use it

I could just say I take daily trips to the range.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8744 Times on 4712 Posts
Likes Given: 18503

It looks like it would be fine if you have a permit. I got this from legal heat.
Vehicle Transport: No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case; (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle; (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose; (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight. (5) Has a permit and immediately informs the officer of the permit and the presence of the firearm. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. 2923.16.

No offense and none taken
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 AM   #5

So with how this looks, the shotgun is going to be stripped which should cancel out the part where it would have to be further than my back seat. I think the permit thing is for CCW AND is just an option, you don;t need a permit to have the gun but it has to be unloaded and follow the rest of the guidelines you listed.

Ohio is one of the weirdest states, our gun laws are pretty awesome but transportation of firearms is confusing and very contradicting.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
It looks like it would be fine if you have a permit. I got this from legal heat.
Vehicle Transport: No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:
(1) In a closed package, box, or case; (2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle; (3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose; (4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight. (5) Has a permit and immediately informs the officer of the permit and the presence of the firearm. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. 2923.16.

I don't see how you took this and came up with the Permit requirement?

No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess

Lawfully possess, does not mean must have a permit. it means that the person in question is NOT a "Prohibited Person" under both State and Federal Law.

the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

Pick one, does not require all of the below or more than one, only one.

(1) In a closed package, box, or case; The case shown in the OP does this.

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

(5) Has a permit and immediately informs the officer of the permit and the presence of the firearm.

Ohio Rev. Code Ann. 2923.16.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
I don't see how you took this and came up with the Permit requirement?

(1) In a closed package, box, or case; The case shown in the OP does this.

(5) Has a permit and immediately informs the officer of the permit and the presence of the firearm.
I don't know if a bag satisfies the definition of package, box, or case. I was thinking it meant a hard case. You could be right. However, if he has a permit, the "case" is irrelevant.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I don't know if a bag satisfies the definition of package, box, or case. I was thinking it meant a hard case. You could be right. However, if he has a permit, the "case" is irrelevant.

There is No "permit" available for long guns.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
There is No "permit" available for long guns.
Well that changes everything.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I've carried my 870 on a rack in the back window of my pick-up. But this is Florida, not Ohio. I even got pulled over once by the Highway Patrol for exceeding the speed limit. The trooper, approaching the truck, gave the shotgun a good hard look...but never once mentioned it. And yeah, I got a ticket.