They're at it again. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

They're at it again.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
The vast majority of people here live in the larger cities and suburbs...The vast majority of Mayors and Police Depts. want better gun control...Their coalition is led by billionaire Mayor of New York Blumberg. far and away the majority of people living in these cities which are the majority of the population want better gun control...Gun control is at this point heavy background checks...Taxes levied on ownership and gun schools run by police depts....all designed to limit ownership...Plus many more restrictions I won`t go into here..Yes ammo restriction...through availability and scarceness have been around but dont discount these as silly they will return because thats the fast way around 2 amendment...

It`s not just about Chicago it`s every big city...it was just a personal example...

I`ve read the latest polls regarding gun control...Far and away up into the 80% of people want better gun control...People don`t want large capacity mags or assault guns...and they don`t want everyone owning guns...there will be limitations I hope your`re right but don`t think there's a chance...

Since Colorado they are screaming about this guy getting 6000 rounds off the internet and all these guns in a few months..All we can hope is that this all dies down till after elections but I have my doubts
Sorry your statements are not correct. Per the information as quoted below, the last time anywhere near 80% of the public were in support of more restrictive gun control was 1978. As of 2011 only 43% were so inclined and 55% wanted the laws to remain the same or become more lenient. For what it is worth I don't think you are a troll just misinformed. For the record I was born and raised in New York City and understand urban living, but to say the majority of urban dwellers are in support of more restrictive gun controls is not factual.

According to a Gallup poll in 1990, 78 percent of those surveyed said laws covering the sale of firearms should be stricter, while 19 percent said they should remain the same or be loosened.

By the fall of 2004 support for tougher laws had dropped to 54 percent. In last year's sounding, 43 percent said they should be stricter, and 55 percent said they should stay the same or be made more lenient.

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is Godís job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3701 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Instead of the negative issues of CCW. As the anti-gun people would try to imply. I have a positive and correct thought regarding it. I would like to think that if a few in the Theater would have had a CCW and a little training JR would have not shot as many people as he did. I feel the reason that it probably did not happen was the fact that it was almost 1:00am in the morning and the theater was packed with innocent young people mostly. Who unfortunately have slightly been indoctrinated somewhat to the anti gun leaning. So probably never have even given it a thought about a situation occurring like this or personal protection in this sense. So they were totally at the mercy of a lunatic. God bless the victims and their families! My heart goes out to all of them. I think that if there had been some of us older war horses there with a CCW things might have turned out differently for the dirt ball and he could have had some serious problems. Obviously we would have had to pick the best time and the place! However we are usually home counting sheep at that hour of the day and hour of the night. It only reminds me of the shooting at the Columbine, the military base, the college shooting in Virginia and this shooting where there was no one who could take a stand, protect others and use force to subside the ruthless threat and murders of the incident. So gun control in America as far as the law abiding citizens and any attempt at confiscation from the public will destroy America due to the total civil unrest and situations it will create. America will be finished! It is a Constitutional Right and always will be in my lifetime if I have anything to do about it!

God Bless America

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Instead of the negative issues of CCW. As the anti-gun people would try to imply. I have a positive and correct thought regarding it. I would like to think that if a few in the Theater would have had a CCW and a little training JR would have not shot as many people as he did. I feel the reason that it probably did not happen was the fact that it was almost 1:00am in the morning and the theater was packed with innocent young people mostly. Who unfortunately have slightly been indoctrinated somewhat to the anti gun leaning. So probably never have even given it a thought about a situation occurring like this or personal protection in this sense. So they were totally at the mercy of a lunatic. God bless the victims and their families! My heart goes out to all of them. I think that if there had been some of us older war horses there with a CCW things might have turned out differently for the dirt ball and he could have had some serious problems. Obviously we would have had to pick the best time and the place! However we are usually home counting sheep at that hour of the day and hour of the night. It only reminds me of the shooting at the Columbine, the military base, the college shooting in Virginia and this shooting where there was no one who could take a stand, protect others and use force to subside the ruthless threat and murders of the incident. So gun control in America as far as the law abiding citizens and any attempt at confiscation from the public will destroy America due to the total civil unrest and situations it will create. America will be finished! It is a Constitutional Right and always will be in my lifetime if I have anything to do about it!

God Bless America

Sniper03 I agree with your assessment and would add that not only was the timing well thought out by the shooter, but the obvious confidence he had that law abiding citizens would comply with the gun free zone the theater was enforcing. Once again it comes as a surprise to some that the shooter did not obey the law and brought his weapons into a gun free zone. Hence the only cure is even more restrictive controls which again will only be obeyed by the law abiding victims. I for one will not speculate on what could have been but will from this point forward carry for the protection of myself and those I love. I refuse to become a victim.

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is Godís job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #34

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxltd1 View Post
Sorry your statements are not correct. Per the information as quoted below, the last time anywhere near 80% of the public were in support of more restrictive gun control was 1978. As of 2011 only 43% were so inclined and 55% wanted the laws to remain the same or become more lenient. For what it is worth I don't think you are a troll just misinformed. For the record I was born and raised in New York City and understand urban living, but to say the majority of urban dwellers are in support of more restrictive gun controls is not factual.

According to a Gallup poll in 1990, 78 percent of those surveyed said laws covering the sale of firearms should be stricter, while 19 percent said they should remain the same or be loosened.

By the fall of 2004 support for tougher laws had dropped to 54 percent. In last year's sounding, 43 percent said they should be stricter, and 55 percent said they should stay the same or be made more lenient.
I don`t discount what you say but there are many many polls the last poll I read as I recall said what I just posted....Urban areas want gun control far more than rural areas....The polls are weighted based on when the the polls are taken and what incidents surround the poll...I`m expecting a big backlash against gun owners once they start showing the pictures of the children murdered in Colorado....Don`t get me wrong I in no way wish for gun control...I have vested interests....but I am looking at the world and what is happening...More people need to understand what the ramifications of a unarmed citizenry and how do we protect the Republic...The party known for protecting gun rights may be for obvious reasons ..the vote to keep them in office...but it has passed some serious laws against the constitution and our rights the latest is the Patriot Act...I trust no party when it comes to our freedom I think if given a chance to stay in office forever they would all vote us into slavery....Frankly I hope your stats are correct..I`ll have to do some searching not to prove you wrong but for my own interest...I do suspect polls may change soon though,,,

Old 07-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

26% of people polled want to ban handguns while 73% are for handgun ownership. 53% of people polled are for the ownership of assault weapons while 43% oppose it. This poll was conducted using 1005 adults http://www.gallup.com/poll/150341/record-low-favor-handgun-ban.aspx

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The reason why I personally don't pay any attention to these polls is the fact the basing everything off if a handful of people. You want a different outcome call more people I chicago. These polls show you the message they want you to see. If not the would have called 10000 instead of 1005.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjc View Post
I don`t discount what you say but there are many many polls the last poll I read as I recall said what I just posted....Urban areas want gun control far more than rural areas....The polls are weighted based on when the the polls are taken and what incidents surround the poll...I`m expecting a big backlash against gun owners once they start showing the pictures of the children murdered in Colorado....Don`t get me wrong I in no way wish for gun control...I have vested interests....but I am looking at the world and what is happening...More people need to understand what the ramifications of a unarmed citizenry and how do we protect the Republic...The party known for protecting gun rights may be for obvious reasons ..the vote to keep them in office...but it has passed some serious laws against the constitution and our rights the latest is the Patriot Act...I trust no party when it comes to our freedom I think if given a chance to stay in office forever they would all vote us into slavery....Frankly I hope your stats are correct..I`ll have to do some searching not to prove you wrong but for my own interest...I do suspect polls may change soon though,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
The reason why I personally don't pay any attention to these polls is the fact the basing everything off if a handful of people. You want a different outcome call more people I chicago. These polls show you the message they want you to see. If not the would have called 10000 instead of 1005.
I think we can agree that polls are always influenced by the emotion of the moment and the narrative that the media is setting forth as the direction they would like the public to take. I am not tied to any political party but I am a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment and the rights it affords me. So what it comes down to is whether or not I stand my ground and have the conviction of my beliefs, or do I choose to compromise by beliefs to appease those committed to taking away my constitutional rights through whatever back door methods they employ in the hope of preserving some portion of those rights. Given those choices it is not hard for me to make that decision. I will speak only for myself and I respect that others may have very different opinions and will make very different choices. I can only hope that as gun owners we will coalesce and fight together against those so determined to restrict our rights. We do need open debate, but must quickly come to consensus and present a united front.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
I understand your thoughts om that. Here's a very good example of the education part though. Many that say guns should be outlawed, I have an aunt that feels this way, are absolutely ignorant of many things that go along with proper gun ownership. Much of what she thinks is based off of fear. I talked with her about these things and even though she will never own a firearm she now at least knows that if she's around me and I have one she won't get killed by gun being close to her. She actually thought a firearm could just be leaning in the corner and kill someone on it's own. It's hard for us to imagine that line of thinking but it exist and the news people exploit it and make it even worse.

I've also got a daughter in law that was afraid of guns. Now, after some plinking at targets with a 22, she enjoys them. She is more intellegent than I could ever hope to be but had never been around firearms. Her smarts made her easy to teach safety and even the mechanical side to forearms. Like my aunt she was living in fear. Not anymore. People like these examples are won over to our side even if they never pull a trigger as long as they understand we have the right to keep and bear arms.

Leading by example is number one.
Thanks for putting those examples to "leading by example," Jim1611 -- they're exactly the kind of thing I meant.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #39

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Forgive me if I missed it as I haven't had time to read this entire thread but.......

Obama and Romney are both for stricter gun control aren't they?

If that's correct, we're in for a rough ride either way come November no?

alsaqr Likes This 

Newest Threads