Texas Open Carry - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 AM   #181
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

[QUOTE=DeltaF;1360617]... Because until the investigation is conducted the officer does not know that this person is "innocently carrying a firearm."

A part of the "investigation" should be staying back a safe distance and OBSERVING. Is this person acting normally or pacing and shouting? You should not necessarily rush in and start asking questions.

We get called out on a daily basis to investigate "a man walking his dog." Yes. This happens. It sucks. The person is almost always cooperative and says "yeah i'm so-and-so, I live right up the road from here at this address, here's my license." Then we take the license down in about 10 seconds and wave at them while they keep walking. Then we write about a 4 sentence BS report.

We get similar calls "strange man jogging down the street. Black male about 35 YOA in shorts and t-shirt." Nope, dispatch cancel that call. THAT is NOT suspicious.

Edit: just recently someone was fired from an agency in this area for deleting these types of calls out of the system late in the shift so he wouldn't have to investigate or write reports on them. It's tempting to try to just fly through these type calls and try to find the quickest exit to all of them, but that's what gets people killed.

There are MANY calls that do not warrant a response. "but there is a dead possum in the street in front of my house. Someone needs to remove it." Yup, and that person is YOU. We do not remove dead animals.[/QUOTE]

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #182
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post

There are MANY calls that do not warrant a response. "but there is a dead possum in the street in front of my house. Someone needs to remove it." Yup, and that person is YOU. We do not remove dead animals.[/QUOTE]
Around here, when the PD gets that call, the PD calls me. I tell them as politely as my smart ass can, that picking up road kill is just as much in their job description as it is in mine. I TREAT GROUND WATER FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. NOT pick up roadkill. Actually, I thinking that picking up roadkill would be closer to the PD's job description than mine, if you want to really stretch it.

You would think they'd learn by now.

And when a resident calls about it, I politely tell them... "Okay. Just wait a little while." them, "you're gonna come pick it up?" Me, "just wait for it..." them, "....Aw man, three cars just hit it again!" Me, "yup, and by the time you wake up in the morning, it'll just be a dark spot on the road."
Old 09-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #183
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1969 Times on 1165 Posts
Likes Given: 936

If they are a traffic hazard we move them, but it is not our job to pick up dead animals. The crows, magpies, and buzzards take care of that!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #184
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
In MS open carry was passed this year, and finally approved by the Supreme Court (no regular tacos for them) last week. So far the only visible impact has been that most every store and restaurant has added a "no firearms" sign to their door. The thing that bothers me is it is "no firearms" not "no unlicensed firearms" (no license required on OC here) or "no visible firearms that might upset our other customers"; it is my understanding that even the enhanced concealed carry permit doesn't allow carry past the signs. I have no problem with property rights or businesses choosing their customer base.
It bothers me also when I see the no firearms signs in stores. We have a shooting range here in Tulsa (2A Shooting Center, if any are interested) that gives away business cards. Not much surprise there, but the cards have a fascinating message:

"Your 'no gun' sign prevents me from patronizing your business.
So I, my family, and other gun owners will spend our money with your competitors.
Look on the back to see why you should remove your sign.
No Guns = No Money"

The other side reads:

"Your 'no gun' sign is bad for business. It does nothing to make you safer or prevent crime. It simply tells criminals you are an easy target and drives away good customers who have a handgun carry license.
As an Oklahoma Handgun License Holder, I ...
- Have no felony convictions (lifetime)
- Have never been convicted of any drug offense
- Have no mental defects or disabilities
- Have passed a criminal history background check.
How much do you know about your other customers?"

Most restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, etc. do NOT display such signs. But a few do, like Buffalo Wild Wings. Perhaps that's because they also have a section of their facility set up as a bar. Also, a lot of their business is people buying beers and margaritas and eating a little chicken while they're there. So, they may be borderline about whether more than half of their business is from selling food. That is the criteria for the restaurant exception to carrying where liquor is consumed.

Surprisingly, none of the liquor stores I've been in have a no gun sign. Shortly after OC was passed in OK, I carried into my regular liquor store. The manager, somewhat nervously, asked if I was allowed to carry in his store. I told him I was allowed to unless he said I wasn't. I told him that the law restricted open or concealed carry in places where liquor is consumed. You can't consume liquor in a liquor store. He was very relieved. I went home and printed out the pertinent section and took it back. We talked some more. His relief was from finding out that he did not need to ask armed customers to leave. He also appreciated getting a copy of the law. On a later visit, I saw him showing the page to a lady. I loitered until she left. He had been explaining to her that I had a right to carry in the store.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 09-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #185
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
It bothers me also when I see the no firearms signs in stores. We have a shooting range here in Tulsa (2A Shooting Center, if any are interested) that gives away business cards. Not much surprise there, but the cards have a fascinating message:

So I, my family, and other gun owners will spend our money with your competitors.
No Guns = No Money"

The other side reads:

"Your 'no gun' sign is bad for business. It does nothing to make you safer or prevent crime. It simply tells criminals you are an easy target and drives away good customers who have a handgun carry license.
very excellent reasons. i like the last line, "How much do you know about your other customers?" pretty danged true!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #186
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

No Guns = No Money"

The other side reads:

I like that. Maybe when I get my CCW permit I'll have some business cards like made up and hand them out.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #187
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I'm not going to read 19 pages of the merits of open v conceal carry, it's been beaten to death a thousand times

This is a great legal update prepared by Mi State Police
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

www.miopencarry.org has done some amazing work in the state thanks to a couple of tireless efforts of a couple of members. Having said that, the organization takes a neutral position on LGOC, choosing to spend their time and effort on hand gun OC.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #188
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 512 Times on 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

No Guns = No Money"

The other side reads:

Most restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, etc. do NOT display such signs. But a few do, like Buffalo Wild Wings. Perhaps that's because they also have a section of their facility set up as a bar. Also, a lot of their business is people buying beers and margaritas and eating a little chicken while they're there. So, they may be borderline about whether more than half of their business is from selling food. That is the criteria for the restaurant exception to carrying where liquor is consumed.

Surprisingly, none of the liquor stores I've been in have a no gun sign. Shortly after OC was passed in OK, I carried into my regular liquor store. The manager, somewhat nervously, asked if I was allowed to carry in his store. I told him I was allowed to unless he said I wasn't. I told him that the law restricted open or concealed carry in places where liquor is consumed. You can't consume liquor in a liquor store. He was very relieved. I went home and printed out the pertinent section and took it back. We talked some more. His relief was from finding out that he did not need to ask armed customers to leave. He also appreciated getting a copy of the law. On a later visit, I saw him showing the page to a lady. I loitered until she left. He had been explaining to her that I had a right to carry in the store.
Could you mail me two of those cards. Please

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 09-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #189
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
Could you mail me two of those cards. Please
Be glad to.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #190
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
...Should police investigate every time the circus comes to town because Orangello fears they might bring a bear? There is no right to bears.
Damn skippy they should and gun that bear down to!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This