Texas Open Carry - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #111
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2415 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Come to West Monroe or any other area I frequent and see if you keep that opinion.
A more appropriate question concerning my carry habits would be "why do you carry at all?" Instead of my choice in holsters.

Ya know what?

Here they are. Put'em on and walk a mile.
I am afraid that those boots would pinch my toes too much for me to comfortably walk a mile in them. If you have a nice pair of Bates GX8s I could borrow that would be a different story.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #112

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Why they gotta be nice? I have a pair of Bates boots issued to me in basic training in 2002. They're still comfortable, but between the mud, blood, water and oil/grease they've been soaked in, they're far from nice.

Picky bastage. Wanna talk about how others live their life, then basically tell them their boots ain't good enough for you to walk a mile in.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #113
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Trip, are those boots retreads?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Why they gotta be nice? I have a pair of Bates boots issued to me in basic training in 2002. They're still comfortable, but between the mud, blood, water and oil/grease they've been soaked in, they're far from nice.

Picky bastage. Wanna talk about how others live their life, then basically tell them their boots ain't good enough for you to walk a mile in.
Hey now... "nice bates gx8s" meant that they would be nice if they were bates gx8s. My boots themselves are far from "nice". I walk through all that stuff in them just trying to get out of Central Booking at the prison.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Trip, are those boots retreads?
They're identical to my last pair, which had been "retread" several times until they were just too broken down to repair anymore. I sincerely hope I don't have that issue in any other areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Hey now... "nice bates gx8s" meant that they would be nice if they were bates gx8s. My boots themselves are far from "nice". I walk through all that stuff in them just trying to get out of Central Booking at the prison.
I don't even know what gx8s are. The ones I have at home are just standard issue USMC jungle boots.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
They're identical to my last pair, which had been "retread" several times until they were just too broken down to repair anymore. I sincerely hope I don't have that issue in any other areas.

I don't even know what gx8s are. The ones I have at home are just standard issue USMC jungle boots.
Probably the same basic thing except black with a reinforced toe and a side zipper.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 09-05-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #117

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Robo, almost every time I've interacted with LEOs while CCing I've been disarmed against my will. I didn't feel it was legal, but I'm not going to argue with a LEO. SOP in Florida seems to be disarm, even when no crime has been committed.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Robo, almost every time I've interacted with LEOs while CCing I've been disarmed against my will. I didn't feel it was legal, but I'm not going to argue with a LEO. SOP in Florida seems to be disarm, even when no crime has been committed.
The only thing about this is...

If it's properly concealed, you're interacting with LEO because you've attracted their attention somehow. Maybe you called them to report a crime, maybe you got pulled for speeding, something. I don't know nor care.

I had a friend one time trying to lay out this elaborate scheme for getting away with something highly illegal we'd done as teens (statute of limitations has long since expired, I'm not worried about getting caught now, but I'm not going to advertise what I did. I will say, there was no victim.). Oh, he was coming up with all kinds of stories to tell cops and judges, excuses for what we'd done, yada yada yada... My method for getting away with it? DON'T GET CAUGHT, DON'T ATTRACT ATTENTION.

I have been pissed off myself at the same thing. I've been "disarmed" when pulled over for speeding. After a negligent discharge, my gun being dropped and the grips chipped, and having it pointed at my head with the safety off and LEO's finger on the trigger (3 different instances, 3 different LEOs), I just don't tell them I'm armed anymore. There's no duty to inform in Louisiana, but I believe I DO have to tell them if they ask (regardless of law, I will tell if they ask, and I'll voluntarily inform if I'm asked to get out of my vehicle). Those three problems happened consecutively too. With that kind of track record, I felt it was only a matter of time before I got killed due to carelessness and negligence.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #119
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

The only thing about this is...

If it's properly concealed, you're interacting with LEO because you've attracted their attention somehow. Maybe you called them to report a crime, maybe you got pulled for speeding, something. I don't know nor care.

I had a friend one time trying to lay out this elaborate scheme for getting away with something highly illegal we'd done as teens (statute of limitations has long since expired, I'm not worried about getting caught now, but I'm not going to advertise what I did. I will say, there was no victim.). Oh, he was coming up with all kinds of stories to tell cops and judges, excuses for what we'd done, yada yada yada... My method for getting away with it? DON'T GET CAUGHT, DON'T ATTRACT ATTENTION.

I have been pissed off myself at the same thing. I've been "disarmed" when pulled over for speeding. After a negligent discharge, my gun being dropped and the grips chipped, and having it pointed at my head with the safety off and LEO's finger on the trigger (3 different instances, 3 different LEOs), I just don't tell them I'm armed anymore. There's no duty to inform in Louisiana, but I believe I DO have to tell them if they ask (regardless of law, I will tell if they ask, and I'll voluntarily inform if I'm asked to get out of my vehicle). Those three problems happened consecutively too. With that kind of track record, I felt it was only a matter of time before I got killed due to carelessness and negligence.
Trip is correct, if you are being stopped for a traffic violation then you are being stopped for committing a "crime." And you are being detained while that "crime" is being investigated. While detaining an individual who has committed a crime the Supreme Court has ruled that it is not a violation of the individuals rights for the officer to temporarily disarm them for his safety. Your duty to notify the officer who stops you that you are CCing varies from state to state. He is also correct that there is no duty to notify in Louisiana unless asked unless they have changed something recently. But some states have a strict notification policy.

One of my first questions when I come into contact with anyone as a LEO is "do you have any guns, knives, hand grenades, bazookas, nuclear bombs or anything else on you that might cause one of us to get hurt?" Usually I get a goofy grin and a laugh from people.

And Trip, I would never fire, drop or point any of their guns at them. But there are definitely some numb nut LEOs out there who clench their butt cheeks anytime anyone else has a gun. They are usually the ones who are completely incompetent with their own guns and probably shouldn't be in law enforcement to begin with. Next time a LEO pulls that kindof crap, please report it so they can get their @$$ reamed and learn from it. God knows they won't listen to their co-workers. Maybe they'll listen to a write up and some days off.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

People Like This 
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #120

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The instances I was refering to were when friends have been pulled for speeding and I was an occupant. I don't have a duty to inform in FL, but I do out of respect. After providing my credentials, disarmed. Not a good feeling.

Only time I haven't been disarmed was at a birthday party that got a noise complaint. Cops were making sure no one was underage and asked for everyone's id. I showed credentials and informed. Both cops said they weren't worried about me and I returned to eating my BBQ.

I expect any and everthing if I'm pulled over speeding. I always get searched hardcore when I'm driving and pulled over.