Texas Open Carry
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Open Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2985 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Default Texas Open Carry

With the rising number of 2nd Amendment activists across the Country, we have made it a point to train all our LE people, including communications personnel on the legalities of open carrying long guns in Texas.

I did a class for our shift (abbreviated) today.

The bottom line is the Open Carry advocates are looking for video of officers acting inappropriately. If they do not get the reaction they are looking for in or jurisdiction, they will go into the city where they are much more likely to get the "you tube" moments they want.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #2

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
With the rising number of 2nd Amendment activists across the Country, we have made it a point to train all our LE people, including communications personnel on the legalities of open carrying long guns in Texas.

The bottom line is the Open Carry advocates are looking for video of officers acting inappropriately. If they do not get the reaction they are looking for in or jurisdiction, they will go into the city where they are much more likely to get the "you tube" moments they want.
A couple thing's I'd to say.

1) Thank you.

2) I am an open carry advocate (as far as rights go), and I would not do that. The people that do are dicks!
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Personally, I think anyone running around with a camera is violating the rights of innocent bystanders. No one has my permission to film me. And no, I don't give a **** if I'm in a public place. If I'm being filmed, I'll be taking whatever recording device is being used, and either destroy it, or keep it until I can erase my image at my leisure. And yes, I've done both. It's illegal to do so too. (Edit to add: obviously its impossible to avoid security cameras in most places. These are a known entity to me though, and not a random jack ass on the street acting like... a Jack ass)

Now, add a gun into the mix so you can get your 15 minutes of YouTube fame. Just a bad idea.

I'm an open carry advocate, as I'm sure most are aware. But the point of open carry is NOT to draw attention to yourself. It is to carry in a means and way that is comfortable and legal for the carrier. That is all.

My gun is like my penis. I like it. I think it looks cool. Every now and then I like to pull it out and play with it (in private). It feels good in my hands, and in my pants. Everyone knows I've got it. But I see no need to wave it around in anyone's face, saying, "oooh, lookey what I've got!" No, no. It's fine sitting right where it is while I quietly go about my day to day life.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #4

Liked 4792 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Trip there are no Uuum! skeletons in your closet.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #5

Liked 195 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Personally, I think anyone running around with a camera is violating the rights of innocent bystanders. No one has my permission to film me. And no, I don't give a **** if I'm in a public place. If I'm being filmed, I'll be taking whatever recording device is being used, and either destroy it, or keep it until I can erase my image at my leisure. And yes, I've done both. It's illegal to do so too. (Edit to add: obviously its impossible to avoid security cameras in most places. These are a known entity to me though, and not a random jack ass on the street acting like... a Jack ass)

Now, add a gun into the mix so you can get your 15 minutes of YouTube fame. Just a bad idea.

I'm an open carry advocate, as I'm sure most are aware. But the point of open carry is NOT to draw attention to yourself. It is to carry in a means and way that is comfortable and legal for the carrier. That is all.

My gun is like my penis. I like it. I think it looks cool. Every now and then I like to pull it out and play with it (in private). It feels good in my hands, and in my pants. Everyone knows I've got it. But I see no need to wave it around in anyone's face, saying, "oooh, lookey what I've got!" No, no. It's fine sitting right where it is while I quietly go about my day to day life.
Trip you hands down have the funniest posts on here as far as I've noticed. Good analogy by the way.

I've seen several videos of people baiting cops with open carrying .22s that look like mp5s and it's kind of asinine. But LEOs should know the laws of open carry so if the YouTube douchebaggery is a catalyst for better informed officers I guess it's not completely useless.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 325 Posts

I see no point in open carry of a long gun. Or the people to want to get their face on the news doing it .

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm

I see those people on YouTube who go around looking for trouble and trying to get a reaction out of cops to actually hurt our cause, a lot.

I think open carry is a right of all of us if people want to exercise it. I don't mind when I've seen people doing it in the past.

What bothers me is fools walking around with cameras trying to get a rise out of police.

Thank you for what you're doing, Robo.

Quote:

Trip. Perfect analogy.

Always have clean socks.

People Like This 
Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeezy View Post

I've seen several videos of people baiting cops with open carrying .22s that look like mp5s and it's kind of asinine. But LEOs should know the laws of open carry so if the YouTube douchebaggery is a catalyst for better informed officers I guess it's not completely useless.
Well one issue with that, is that it serves just as well to piss of anti gunners and police.

Have we forgotten the death of California carry so easily?

That's exactly what happened there. Their carry laws are so restrictive, it got to the point where the easiest way for civilians to carry was to open carry in condition 4. People got so YouTube happy, going out looking for confrontations on video, that now open carry in condition 4 has also been banned.

A prime example of this is one guy I've seen on YouTube, taking his dog to a ritzy neighborhood (where he didn't even live) and walking a toy poodle with his AR15 and full tac vest. Of course it didn't take long at all for the cops to show up, and he started getting loud and excited.

Can't find it now. YouTube search for dogs these days brings up just about nothing but cops shooting them, unless they're missing two hind legs and they walk around on their front legs with their ass up in the air.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Trip there are no Uuum! skeletons in your closet.
Hell no, I hide the bodies long before they decompose! Just what kinda man do you think I am?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #10

Liked 154 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:

Hey every now and the doing the helicopter won't hurt nothing that right there is self entertainment