Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

The way it looked to me was he went looking for trouble when he left his property once he did that all these defend your ground, your family or yourself went out the door. I was told years ago by a Dallas police officer that if you shoot a intruder make damn sure he's in your house, not your yard, not your porch and if you do shoot someone that's not in your house than drag he ass in your house it will go a lot easier on you in court. JMHO

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1673 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

Quote:
I meant if your approaching my home, the street in front of my home is my territory. I apologize as i was pissed off and was incorrect in my statement. That being said, he went looking for trouble, intentionally or not. He was trying to control people and flashed a gun. Your provoking drunk people at their house/party/street wherever the hell they were, with a gun and a video camera?????!!!! Are you kidding me?! Man... Calls the cops dude, and wait, even if they dont come. O wait no, thats too repsonsible, lets go over packing with a video camera, yes thats what ill do!!!! Lmao, dont drop the soap brother..
+1

Rodriquez is a bullying idiot who caused trouble with several neighbors. He was kicked out of the firefighters union for causing trouble with his fellow firefighters.

Rodriquez went looking for trouble with a video camera and a gun. He murdered a man scant minutes before the police arrived on the scene. Rodriquez is where he belongs. The Huntsville, TX prison is not a pleasant place. Bubba and Leroy from the Outlaws motorcylcle club will take mean out of Rodriquez.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #43

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade

I meant if your approaching my home, the street in front of my home is my territory. I apologize as i was pissed off and was incorrect in my statement. That being said, he went looking for trouble, intentionally or not. He was trying to control people and flashed a gun. Your provoking drunk people at their house/party/street wherever the hell they were, with a gun and a video camera?????!!!! Are you kidding me?! Man... Calls the cops dude, and wait, even if they dont come. O wait no, thats too repsonsible, lets go over packing with a video camera, yes thats what ill do!!!! Lmao, dont drop the soap brother..

Btw im Texas born and bred3!
It is not your "territory." In fact if you live in the city of most towns some of what you think is your yard is in fact city/ municipal property.

Comments like yours prove to me why a defensive shooting would land a man in prison. No knowledge of the law and judging right or wrong by what you personally would or would not do. And lack of comprehension skills.

At what point did he flash a firearm?

What proof do you have he was looking for trouble? The fact that he had his CCL and CCW on his person? Well that would make most people on this site fit into the "looking for trouble" category.

I'm guessing you're fairly young so I'll give you a little advice. Read. Especially if you plan on getting your CC permit.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this will just be a agree to disagree post.

imo, people who willingly engage in a cofrontation, should NOT be protected by these laws. its kind of like the "who threw the first punch argument." there is a huge difference between a fight and an assault. in the end, the fact is....people are dead and hurt over LOUD MUSIC....its not a reason for someone to die over.

imo, to be protected by the castle doctrine or stand your ground, the person using the deadly force should be a victim, not someone starting a confrontation or fight. the person with the firearm should do everything in their power to get away from or deescalate the situation. the only expection to this imo, would be someone protecting their property or home, in which they should not have to try and escape imo.

to me, this only draws ONE important similarity to the trayvon case. to decide guilt, one must decide if the shooter was the victim of an assault OR simply willingly involved in a confrontation, in which they used a gun to kill someone.

ending a willing fight, argument, or confrontation with a gun is murder.

if i'm in this situation with a gun, i back off the moment it starts getting threatening. i use language like "i don't want any trouble" or "please back away" and "just let me leave." i walk away from this, cause i know it is not worth me being hurt, or the other party being killed. i think gun owners NEED to understand, 'stand your ground" laws are not in place so you can use a gun to be a tough guy, or win petty arguments. these are laws are to protect gunowners who are victims of UNPROVOKED violent crimes.

just my opinion, of course. i normally stay out of the political forums for good reason, this will be my last post and thanks for listening.
Thanks hawkguy! I totally agree.

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 151 Times on 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus
"Stand your ground" is a bad name for these laws.

They don't give people the right to go provoking people and then shoot someone. From the limited evidence we have seen it seems like they got the verdict correct
I agree with This you cant go looking for trouble and then stand your ground all this dumbass had to do to descalate the situation was leave and let the cops do their job he is a dummy for not thinking. What happened to common sense you have to use rules of engagement

Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #46

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

It is not your "territory." In fact if you live in the city of most towns some of what you think is your yard is in fact city/ municipal property.

Comments like yours prove to me why a defensive shooting would land a man in prison. No knowledge of the law and judging right or wrong by what you personally would or would not do. And lack of comprehension skills.

At what point did he flash a firearm?

What proof do you have he was looking for trouble? The fact that he had his CCL and CCW on his person? Well that would make most people on this site fit into the "looking for trouble" category.

I'm guessing you're fairly young so I'll give you a little advice. Read. Especially if you plan on getting your CC permit.
Im 30 so yea guess im fairly young. The guys said you showed a gun to the wrong MF'er and when i come back im goin to be equal to you baby. Here is my point. He went to confront people, people that were drinking none the less, with a gun and video camera.... Now stop, that alone right there is wrong, something common sense tells you is wrong. And yes the CHL instructor told my class never confront neighbors about something when your armed, its never goin to turn out good for you if something happens.

Now since you assume im young ill assume your 40+? We as licensed carriers know we are supposed to be low key and avoid trouble, and most importantly only show/use our gun as a last resort. The fact your arguing what im saying, even if you just dont like how im saying it, kinda tells me you think this guy did nothing wrong..... Which is very scary. Might as well confront drunks leaving the bar with a gun and vid camera and tell them they shouldnt be drinking so much. And when they come after you, o well, you were just defending yourself.

Provoking cancels any and all rights. 2nd ammend all you want, but when you provoke/confront like this, have fun getting the DA to agree with you..
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1673 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

Quote:
Provoking cancels any and all rights. 2nd ammend all you want, but when you provoke/confront like this, have fun getting the DA to agree with you..
Bingo!!! If a you find yourself in front of jury you have failed a few tests:
1. The cops did not beieve your story.
2. The prosecutor did not believe your story.
3. Most importantly, the grand jury did not believe your story.
There is every chance a jury of your peers will not believe your story.

In the Rodriquez case, the blithering idiot convicted himself by taking a gun, cell phone and video camera two houses down the street from his home and across the street to confront some drunks. "I'm standing my ground": Yeah right.

Last edited by alsaqr; 06-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #48

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The guy clearly provoked the confrontation, not matter what the reasons he thought he had. Unfortunately the others were drunk--I personally wouldn't have hesitated to blow the guy's head off if he showed up giving me swag talk about he doesn't approve of loud music and he was armed, brandishing weapon and prepared to stand his ground. The only thing wrong with the outcome is the wrong guy got shot/killed.

This guy was clearly prepared for this kind of confrontation by the video and using what he thought was the proper dialogue that would justify him shooting someone. Dumb ****.

Last edited by pantherBDC; 07-01-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #49

Liked 200 Times on 152 Posts

To bad common sense isn't handed out with permits. Most people know you can not reason with a drunk much less a group of drunks banded together. The guy was an idiot for leaving the safety of his home to walk down the street to confront a bunch of men he knew was drunken. Yes I heard that he made two calls to the police, he should have made more untill it was handled. It is not like he was out for an evening walk and happened up on a bad situation. When he left his house he intentionally meant to confront them. Until that point no one was is danger, they may have been annoyed, but not in danger. While I don't think he went with the intention of killing I don't think murder is the right charge, but manslaughter or at least wonton endangerment probably would fit.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #50

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I just watched the video, if i was on the jury i would have aquitted the man. This conviction is a tradgedy, whats worse is reading most of your comments. This is so clearly a jusrified shooting its amazing it even went to court.

If this guy was a lone deputy sheriff in the same situation he would have been given a medal. This conviction is very sad. My suspicion is he was convicted becuase of his looks.

Closed Thread