Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
He made some mistakes, but it looked like they attacked him first. If he was one HIS property, that would give him the right to shoot. If he was on THEIR property, then they had the right to attack him (though, not very smart).
Have to agree with Texaswoodworker on this one. It could've been handled better than it had. But then, putting stupidity aside, the man was attacked on his property. He didn't go stalking them with intent to shoot.

Last edited by PanBaccha; 06-28-2012 at 08:33 PM.

Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 AM   #32
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8130 Times on 4192 Posts
Likes Given: 9338

Well, Im gonna error on the 2nd, he had a legal right to carry, if he stayed on his own property and they attacked him first, he had the right to defend himself. Thats the law of the land, Im not sure what the grounds were that were presented to the courts by the prosecutor if those were the simple facts but they must have been compelling against those facts or it shouldnt have even reached the courts.

Thats the legal version, I would never try to deny anyone the right to defend themselves with a stick. gun or a block of C4 if thats what it takes to live till the next day. I think we can all agree living to talk about it is more important than dying or rotting in a jail.

Today, people are completely unpredictable, they react in ways that cannot be anticipated to the least provocation and even without any. Even when I drive, I avoid challenging butt-holes that drive like maniacs cause those same jerks that refuse to follow the traffic rules will run you off the road or shoot you in a heartbeat. Even if I was packing, it wouldnt matter as is many a case, just because you have a piece doesnt mean you will get the shot off first and hit your mark.

Some situations need to be avoided like the plague and I want to live long enough to enjoy My Grandchildren's Children. Being right and dead or essentially locked up for life aint my cup of tea. Just like here, this conversation could get heated, Ive sensed some of that already. Most of the voices Ive heard on this forum are truly 2nd supporters and I believe all here at his table are also. I wont challenge your concerns here either cause its better to keep the conversation alive than kill it with a Mexican standoff.

Both sides have legitimate concerns and they really are the same side, dont tread on me, let me protect myself if your not there to defend me, my property and my family and guns arent bad, only people are. I hope none of us needs to do this to find out how it turns out.

Thats why I live in the boonies, no neighbors but Im friends with most everyone for miles around! I know our 10th Mountain guy knows what thats like, Ive spent allot of years in his neck of the woods, pretty peaceful other than a little Arty, some treadheads, a few A-10's and a little lead flying down the ranges! Get off the fort near Antwerp and there's nothing thats gonna screw your day up except a dear stuck to your truck.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #33

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Well, Im gonna error on the 2nd, he had a legal right to carry, if he stayed on his own property and they attacked him first, he had the right to defend himself. Thats the law of the land, Im not sure what the grounds were that were presented to the courts by the prosecutor if those were the simple facts but they must have been compelling against those facts or it shouldnt have even reached the courts.

Thats the legal version, I would never try to deny anyone the right to defend themselves with a stick. gun or a block of C4 if thats what it takes to live till the next day. I think we can all agree living to talk about it is more important than dying or rotting in a jail.

Today, people are completely unpredictable, they react in ways that cannot be anticipated to the least provocation and even without any. Even when I drive, I avoid challenging butt-holes that drive like maniacs cause those same jerks that refuse to follow the traffic rules will run you off the road or shoot you in a heartbeat. Even if I was packing, it wouldnt matter as is many a case, just because you have a piece doesnt mean you will get the shot off first and hit your mark.

Some situations need to be avoided like the plague and I want to live long enough to enjoy My Grandchildren's Children. Being right and dead or essentially locked up for life aint my cup of tea. Just like here, this conversation could get heated, Ive sensed some of that already. Most of the voices Ive heard on this forum are truly 2nd supporters and I believe all here at his table are also. I wont challenge your concerns here either cause its better to keep the conversation alive than kill it with a Mexican standoff.

Both sides have legitimate concerns and they really are the same side, dont tread on me, let me protect myself if your not there to defend me, my property and my family and guns arent bad, only people are. I hope none of us needs to do this to find out how it turns out.

Thats why I live in the boonies, no neighbors but Im friends with most everyone for miles around! I know our 10th Mountain guy knows what thats like, Ive spent allot of years in his neck of the woods, pretty peaceful other than a little Arty, some treadheads, a few A-10's and a little lead flying down the ranges! Get off the fort near Antwerp and there's nothing thats gonna screw your day up except a dear stuck to your truck.
Upstate NY is beautiful, wildlife everywhere. Perfect if it wasn't for the long cold winters. A10s will always be welcome for dinner at my place, lol.

------

It doesn't matter if he was on his property or not and they did attack him first. The fact is he was sent up the river. Verdicts like this are bad for all of us. When juries are allowed to interpret the law as they please and pass judgment based on opinion rather than law something has gone horribly wrong. Who knows it could be one of us next. I'm a criminal justice major and will more than likely carry a firearm for a living once again. After seeing this case unfold it's a little scary to know that they are taking away the "reasonable fear" and substituting it w/ whatever the jury decides that day.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8130 Times on 4192 Posts
Likes Given: 9338

You would have loved this years winter, we didnt really have one! First time for as long as I can remember, I didnt shovel once and my snowblower sat in the barn cold the whole winter.

I do agree the precedence this sets is dangerous to everyone not just 2nd amendment supporters. While I would prefer the LEO's to take care of these types of issues before they end like this, thats not happening enough that you can depend on it. Those that legally carry will be less likely to respond in a threat on behalf of other that dont carry.

When things go south, it happens fast, just like in that short film clip, a 30 minute response time is useless except for the Coroner with a body bag or 2. I will continue to live in la la land where things like this happen once in 100 years, the odds are better that way for me.

I wish you great luck and safe passage in your future LEO career plans. I did 21 years in the Army, 16 TOW. I consider myself one of the luckiest NCO's ever, In that entire time, nobody ever shot at me and I never had to shoot at anyone. Unfortunately thats likley never going to be the case again. I pray it will be that way for you.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #35

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

The guy is an idiot and gives liberals ammo to fire back at all the rest of us. Just call the cops and let it be. And if you must go ovr conceal a knife or something. Or just the it go, one nite of loud music???? I used to live in some ghetto apts when my daughter was first born. Plenty nights people were outside talking yelling and partying thru all hours of the nite. Once i went out and asked them politely to keep it down, they actually apologized. Dudes with do rags on and sagging pants apologized??? Now im sure I got lucky, or maybe its cause i didnt act all big and bad idk. Bit there were at least 20-30 nites i just lived with the outside noise, then I moved you gotta pick your battles and not every battle requires a gun.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #36

This guy never should have gone on their property and Zimmerman never should have persued. Both were looking for trouble and they found it.... Doesnt matter if they were attacked first, neither should have been where they were, end of story.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
You would have loved this years winter, we didnt really have one! First time for as long as I can remember, I didnt shovel once and my snowblower sat in the barn cold the whole winter.

I do agree the precedence this sets is dangerous to everyone not just 2nd amendment supporters. While I would prefer the LEO's to take care of these types of issues before they end like this, thats not happening enough that you can depend on it. Those that legally carry will be less likely to respond in a threat on behalf of other that dont carry.

When things go south, it happens fast, just like in that short film clip, a 30 minute response time is useless except for the Coroner with a body bag or 2. I will continue to live in la la land where things like this happen once in 100 years, the odds are better that way for me.

I wish you great luck and safe passage in your future LEO career plans. I did 21 years in the Army, 16 TOW. I consider myself one of the luckiest NCO's ever, In that entire time, nobody ever shot at me and I never had to shoot at anyone. Unfortunately thats likley never going to be the case again. I pray it will be that way for you.
Global warming, call Al Gore. You know, the guy who invented the internet. Lol.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #38

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Al Gore is still searching for Man-bear-pig. He's cereal too.

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
This guy never should have gone on their property and Zimmerman never should have persued. Both were looking for trouble and they found it.... Doesnt matter if they were attacked first, neither should have been where they were, end of story.
At what point did he enter someone else's property?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK

At what point did he enter someone else's property?
I meant if your approaching my home, the street in front of my home is my territory. I apologize as i was pissed off and was incorrect in my statement. That being said, he went looking for trouble, intentionally or not. He was trying to control people and flashed a gun. Your provoking drunk people at their house/party/street wherever the hell they were, with a gun and a video camera?????!!!! Are you kidding me?! Man... Calls the cops dude, and wait, even if they dont come. O wait no, thats too repsonsible, lets go over packing with a video camera, yes thats what ill do!!!! Lmao, dont drop the soap brother..

Btw im Texas born and bred3!

Closed Thread