Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years - Page 21
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #201
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Viiking,
Yes

I wonder if baytown still has to pay his retirement?

Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
I just watched the video, if i was on the jury i would have aquitted the man. This conviction is a tradgedy, whats worse is reading most of your comments. This is so clearly a jusrified shooting its amazing it even went to court.

If this guy was a lone deputy sheriff in the same situation he would have been given a medal. This conviction is very sad. My suspicion is he was convicted becuase of his looks.
Amen, I agree,
it's Been interesting to read this thread,
A citizen can make an arrest, just ask Barney jk,

Really, I just think his lawyer used the wrong defense. Stand your ground does not apply here. Self defense does....
He actually approached the situation thus not standing his ground, the video could have been carried in his pocket a smart phone, so maybe his hands were free to make a phone call. Obviously a concealed Firearm was not concealed any more, That in itself escalated the situation.
A deputy only has the rights of a private citizen in an confrontation "meet force with enough force to control the situation"
Since he was being attacked physically even out numbered.... A good defense strategy and legal team will be able to get an appeal on this case and overturn the verdict. Question is will he run out if resources for the legal expenses.

My biggest issue is the response time of the LEO's yes this may have been dispatched as a low priority case until shots are fired.
But poor budgets and lack of economy for LEO's is a primary reason for low manpower and high response times.
Straight up, no LEO is not going into that situation without back up, and a hand on weapon if not drawn out.
so, why do we prosecute the citizen for doing the same thing ?
Ya, turn the shoulder and the other cheek some time apply.... But that obnoxious drunk neighbor who you have sicked the Leo's on several times already has a chip placed square on his shoulder.

It's obvious a jury of his peers (this forum) would have been a hung jury ...
If some one has the ability to obtain court transcripts it would be an interesting read by me.

"Don't show me yours, and I wont show you mine!!"

Stay safe

Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #203

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Yogi,
Right on brother:-)

Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 AM   #204
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
There is one thing you guys all seem to be missing here.

Whether rodriguez is a murderer or not, the dead guy is STILL DEAD. He would probly be alive if he wasn't an a-hole.

In all likelyhood they are both a-holes, the neighborhood is lucky to be rid of them both.
I agree, but only one ******* went to the party dressed to kill!

Edit:
I want to take that back. We should always carry when legally possible, but this guy
took his camera and was saying, (paraphrasing), ....here I am, I feel threatened and
I'm standing my ground and if anybody attacks me, I'm going to shoot them! And he
did just that!

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 07-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #205

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This one is still being dragged out? An argument of pure absurdity. The partiers had the right to disarm/disable Rodriguez IMO, though the smart thing would have been to retreat and let the cops work it out. The fact they were making loud noise is totally irrelevant other than Rodriguez used it as justification to provoke a confrontation he had already decided he was going to settle by deadly force if necessary. My opinion is that they had the law on their side if they had blown Rodriguez away had they had access to a weapon.
etbob9 Likes This 
Old 07-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #206
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
There is one thing you guys all seem to be missing here.

Whether rodriguez is a murderer or not, the dead guy is STILL DEAD. He would probly be alive if he wasn't an a-hole.

In all likelyhood they are both a-holes, the neighborhood is lucky to be rid of them both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
So is that a vote for killing the dude and a vote for 40 years in the Big House? Harsh!
Triggerjob, make your mind up! one post you are willing to acquit him, now you are saying he deserved the 40 years?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #207

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

MikeJK, I think you are having trouble differentiating between something which may technically be 1000% legal and within a person's rights, against that which is wise, smart, or prudent.

Last edited by RufusTFirefly; 07-04-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #208

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly View Post
MikeJK, I think you are having trouble differentiating between something which may technically be 1000% legal and within a person's rights, against that which is wise, smart, or prudent.
Neither of which apply to this case.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #209

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusTFirefly
Says the guy w/ the "Get off my lawn!" avatar.

It doesn't matter what you feel would have been smart. All that matters is the law.

Most of you keep saying he was looking for a fight because he left his house w/ a concealed firearm which he had a license to carry. So what you're really saying is everyone that leaves there home carrying is confrontational. I understand the backward nature of a lot of you old timers on this forum so I can understand how this might be difficult to wrap your head around. When a ruling is made they use it as a guide for the next incident/case. All of you CCL holders are shooting yourself in the foot and don't even realize it.

The funniest one is still the etob guy who said he would retreat to his home and get a firearm yet he wants to posture like he knows what he's talking about. I woke up laughing about that one.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #210

Liked 1466 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
Says the guy w/ the "Get off my lawn!" avatar.

It doesn't matter what you feel would have been smart. All that matters is the law.

Most of you keep saying he was looking for a fight because he left his house w/ a concealed firearm which he had a license to carry. So what you're really saying is everyone that leaves there home carrying is confrontational. I understand the backward nature of a lot of you old timers on this forum so I can understand how this might be difficult to wrap your head around. When a ruling is made they use it as a guide for the next incident/case. All of you CCL holders are shooting yourself in the foot and don't even realize it.

The funniest one is still the etob guy who said he would retreat to his home and get a firearm yet he wants to posture like he knows what he's talking about. I woke up laughing about that one.
You're right Mike, all that matters is the law. This guy was convicted by a jury of his peers and sentenced to 40 years. I guess the law has spoken about this incident.

People are not saying that everyone who carrys is looking for a fight but when you carry you need to act accordingly and that may mean you can't act the same as when you are not carrying.

You also might want to avoid the personal insults if you want to stick around.

Last edited by Yunus; 07-04-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Closed Thread