Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #111
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5926 Times on 2930 Posts
Likes Given: 6285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Apples and Oranges Mike,

I appreciate you looking at the law and arguing for the citizen shooter but buddy, come on...

The vast majority of gun toting members here see serious errors in this guys judgement and find no fault with the verdict.

If you can't get 11 other jurors behind you at FTF with this argument, how could possibly expect a random jury to come to any different conclusion?

I can only speak for myself when I say that carrying a gun, which I've done daily for 17 years, is not a good idea for folks looking to prove something, as I believe this fellow was.

Tack
TB, you hit the primer right in the center with this one! The reason this one keeps going round is its so very subjective. Even 2nd Supporters have varying degrees of support or non for this case. The jury is the final decider and this one said he was wrong, thats what really matters.

This wasnt a decision against the right to self defense or CCW, it was a clear conclusion that loud music aside, this guy was angry and trolling for this reaction and when he got it, he reacted with a planned execution, murder. Those that are active supporters of the 2nd have to be diligent in our support but also ready to cast off false profits for what they are, vigilantes. You cant possibly believe its a smart idea to wade into a drunken crowd alone with a Camera, tell them to stop doing what they are doing and be prepared to defend yourself at the same time. Thats ridiculous, making him a poster child for self defense is a very weak argument at best, a strong deterrent to CCW at worst.

As much as vigilantes may seem justified (especially to themselves), they are called that because they become judge, jury and executioner without a badge. Movies often glorify it, we all like to see A$$+o13s get what they deserve but death in this case wasnt the right call. He chose to deal with a minor infraction instead of waiting for the police, before he played Movie producer, he should have thought twice and waited.

This man risked his own life, innocent bystanders and even killed someone all spawned by loud music entering his private property. Those that are trying to protect our right to carry, own and shoot must be able to separate ourselves from the actual 2nd discussion to determine if its really the case or just bad judgement that led to a horrible outcome or a justified self defense move.

I think he was trying to get his 5 minutes of fame and he did that well, hes famous!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #112

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Apples and Oranges Mike,

I appreciate you looking at the law and arguing for the citizen shooter but buddy, come on...

The vast majority of gun toting members here see serious errors in this guys judgement and find no fault with the verdict.

If you can't get 11 other jurors behind you at FTF with this argument, how could possibly expect a random jury to come to any different conclusion?

I can only speak for myself when I say that carrying a gun, which I've done daily for 17 years, is not a good idea for folks looking to prove something, as I believe this fellow was.

Tack
How is the neighbor coming to my door any different than a man standing across the street to report a disturbance to 911. Oh wait I know my neighbor was on my property and those 3 guys attacked him.

Is being attacked by three (3) assailants overwhelming odds enough to warrant deadly force in order to defend yourself? Hell yes it is.

I have not seen a single post w/ a differing opinion state anything other than "he shouldn't have." No reference to actual law(s) he actually broke. This is my issue. When did we start sending people to prison for half a lifetime over what we feel a citizen should or shouldn't have done. What happen to convicting over violations of the law?

Just like saying he went down there to "prove" something. Where's the proof? Saying that is nothing but opinion. Do we convict on personal opinion? Salem Witch Trials, anyone? It's my opinion you're a witch therefore you are. Sad world we have here. The law used to mean something. Now people feel they can interpret it however they feel best suites their opinion.

Last edited by MikeJK; 07-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #113

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
How is the neighbor coming to my door any different than a man standing across the street to report a disturbance to 911. Oh wait I know my neighbor was on my property and those 3 guys attacked him.

Is being attacked by three (3) assailants overwhelming odds enough to warrant deadly force in order to defend yourself? Hell yes it is.

I have not seen a single post w/ a differing opinion state anything other than "he shouldn't have." No reference to actual law(s) he actually broke. This is my issue. When did we start sending people to prison for half a lifetime over what we feel a citizen should or shouldn't have done. What happen to convicting over violations of the law?

Just like saying he went down there to "prove" something. Where's the proof? Saying that is nothing but opinion. Do we convict on personal opinion? Salem Witch Trials, anyone? It's my opinion you're a witch therefore you are. Sad world we have here. The law used to mean something. Now people feel they can interpret it however they feel best suites their opinion.
There is a law that expressly says you cannot shoot and kill someone.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2066 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 3104

Defend Rodriquez forever if that you want: There is nothing you can do because a jury of his peers found Rodriquez guilty of murder: That will not change. Numerous witnesses testified for the prosecution. No witnesses testified for the defense. Rodriquez did not take the witness stand.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-found-guilty-killing-neighbor-dispute/story?id=16563913

Quote:
The defense did not present much of a case as it called no witnesses and Rodriguez didn't testify. Legal experts say if defendants are going to successfully argue self-defense, the jury wants to hear from them.

Last edited by alsaqr; 07-03-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 07-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #115

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sure sound like an open and shut case. The defense rested before it even started.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #116

Liked 4715 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post

A neighbor coming to your door is quite different than approaching a house party with a gun, a video camera, an attitude, all while revealing that your armed and quoting stand your ground laws.

Yes, being jumped by 3 men is a reason to fire HOWEVER, that old saying of "judged by 12 or carried by 6" is a nice slogan but you can't forget the "judged" part.

Stand your ground or not, if you're ever forced to take a life a Grand Jury will have 3 months to tear apart a decision you had 3/10th's of a second to make. Your local DA will have twice that time to prepare your prosecution. And even if your vindicated and never spend a day in jail, you still get to live the rest of your life second guessing your decision to fire.

The measure is not simply what the shooter did after he was attacked, it's what he did to instigate the attack.

Had Mr. Rodriguez been out for a stroll with his CCW and jumped for no reason, this never would have gone to court.

I'm sorry Mike but your just wrong. I say this out of general concern for you and those around you.

I suggest you focus more on how to AVOID needing to shoot someone rather than worrying about why this fellow should have gotten away with it.

Tack
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #117

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh--according to the news report he did in fact trespass on the private property--and in addition to killing the one man he continued shooting, wounding two others--fire fighters oddly enough. He shoulda been charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder. I think he got away too light--if anything.

Loud music is a civil matter--not a criminal one. Just how loud is loud has to be measured and determined in violation of zoning or if determined to be a public nuisance.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #118
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 78

OK you guys! Here I am! y'all better shut up now, cause I'm
standing my ground and since I said I'm standing my ground,
I can kill you and not go to jail for it! Sure...... Why the heck
is this ridiculous discussion still going on? The guy is an idiot!
He cannot be allowed to be loose in public, ever again!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #119

Liked 4715 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbob9 View Post
OK you guys! Here I am! y'all better shut up now, cause I'm
standing my ground and since I said I'm standing my ground,
I can kill you and not go to jail for it! Sure...... Why the heck
is this ridiculous discussion still going on? The guy is an idiot!
He cannot be allowed to be loose in public, ever again!
The thread had been quite for over 4 hours until you chimed in Bob...

Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
The thread had been quite for over 4 hours until you chimed in Bob...
Well Tackleberry1, it has been going on for 6 days and 12 pages now!
What's four hours? I just received an e-mail notifying me there had
been another response! That makes well over 30 e-mails I've received
on this inane subject!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 07-03-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Closed Thread