Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-stand-ground-shooter-headed-prison-210731482.html

So, what do you all think?

Last edited by MikeJK; 06-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

he should have called police about the loud music first! never showed his ''firearm''before or after, when asking his neigbors to turn down the musicunless the neighbors flashed a ''firearm'' first/ the way the law is wrote..make sure you are not the aggressor!!!!

of course hes not...but the judge want see it that way

Damn shame

Last edited by m72law; 06-27-2012 at 11:33 PM.
hogdoc357 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I see a lot of stupidity here, and from what I saw in the video, I can't say he not guilty.

1. He should have called the police rather than confronting them. It made him the instigator of the confrontation.

2. He should not have showed his gun. You only let them see the gun when you feel you're out of options and you're ready to shoot. I certainly don't get that impression from watching the video. Also, having showed them the gun makes you the instigator once again. The other people might see it as you making a deadly threat to them. One could argue they could get a gun and shoot you in self defense.

3. Since he ignored the first two, he should have left and called police when he became concerned rather than continuing to film. I get the impression he wasn't in danger up until the very end.

4. Carrying a camera and a gun at the same time is just careless.

Last edited by Polygon; 06-28-2012 at 03:48 PM.
hogdoc357 Likes This 
Old 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon
I see a lot of stupidity here and from what I saw in the video, I can't say he not guilty.

1. He should have called the police rather than confronting them. It made him the instigator of the confrontation.

2. He should not have showed his gun. You only let them see the gun when you feel you're out of options and you're ready to shoot. I certainly don't get that impressions from watching the video. Also, having showed them the gun make you the instigator once again. The other people see it as you making a deadly threat to them. Once could argue they get a gun and shoot you in self defense.

3. Since he ignored the first two, he should have left and called police when he became concerned rather than continuing to film. I get the impression he wasn't in danger up until the very end.

4. Carrying a camera and a gun at the same time is just careless.
Did you watch the video? When did he brandish a firearm? The guy even asked where his firearm was. Something like, do you have a pistol in your pocket. He had called 911 multiple times.

Watch the video bud.

There's another I'll post later when I get home.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #5

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

the "castle doctrine" or 'stand your ground" does not give you a reason to murder someone.

i don't know all the facts of this case, but it kind of sounded like the guy went down the road with a gun and started some crap, which ended in someone being shot and killed. IF this is the case, he is guilty of murder.

if dumb A's keep acting stupid, these laws, which protect law abiding citizens protecting themselves with firearms, will come under serious fire. these laws are meant to protect homeowners/citizens who DO NOT start trouble & used a gun to protect themselves.

loud music is not a reason to end someone's life. this isn't why these laws were put into place.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

He made some mistakes, but it looked like they attacked him first. If he was one HIS property, that would give him the right to shoot. If he was on THEIR property, then they had the right to attack him (though, not very smart).

Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #7

Liked 2358 Times on 1376 Posts
Likes Given: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
He made some mistakes, but it looked like they attacked him first. If he was one HIS property, that would give him the right to shoot. If he was on THEIR property, then they had the right to attack him (though, not very smart).
i agree with this. in the end, it doesn't look like anyone's actions were smart though.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5271 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

filming yourself provoking a drunk so you can try and kill them priceless.

guilty as charged.

all he ghad to do was leave and cal the police he put himself into a situation and provoked the attack in a belligerent manner.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
filming yourself provoking a drunk so you can try and kill them priceless.

guilty as charged.

all he ghad to do was leave and cal the police he put himself into a situation and provoked the attack in a belligerent manner.
That's 100% correct. Had he gone back into his house and called the police, he wouldn't be serving 40 years for murder, and his neighbor would not be dead.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #10

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

i wonder if he'll get donations?

hope its cigarettes

Closed Thread