Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/texas-man-sentensed-40-years-67212/)

MikeJK 06-27-2012 10:50 PM

Texas Man Sentensed to 40 Years

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/texas-stand-ground-shooter-headed-prison-210731482.html

So, what do you all think?

m72law 06-27-2012 11:31 PM

he should have called police about the loud music first! never showed his ''firearm''before or after, when asking his neigbors to turn down the music:confused:unless the neighbors flashed a ''firearm'' first/ the way the law is wrote..make sure you are not the aggressor!!!!

of course hes not...but the judge want see it that way:(

Damn shame

Polygon 06-27-2012 11:45 PM

I see a lot of stupidity here, and from what I saw in the video, I can't say he not guilty.

1. He should have called the police rather than confronting them. It made him the instigator of the confrontation.

2. He should not have showed his gun. You only let them see the gun when you feel you're out of options and you're ready to shoot. I certainly don't get that impression from watching the video. Also, having showed them the gun makes you the instigator once again. The other people might see it as you making a deadly threat to them. One could argue they could get a gun and shoot you in self defense.

3. Since he ignored the first two, he should have left and called police when he became concerned rather than continuing to film. I get the impression he wasn't in danger up until the very end.

4. Carrying a camera and a gun at the same time is just careless.

MikeJK 06-27-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polygon
I see a lot of stupidity here and from what I saw in the video, I can't say he not guilty.

1. He should have called the police rather than confronting them. It made him the instigator of the confrontation.

2. He should not have showed his gun. You only let them see the gun when you feel you're out of options and you're ready to shoot. I certainly don't get that impressions from watching the video. Also, having showed them the gun make you the instigator once again. The other people see it as you making a deadly threat to them. Once could argue they get a gun and shoot you in self defense.

3. Since he ignored the first two, he should have left and called police when he became concerned rather than continuing to film. I get the impression he wasn't in danger up until the very end.

4. Carrying a camera and a gun at the same time is just careless.

Did you watch the video? When did he brandish a firearm? The guy even asked where his firearm was. Something like, do you have a pistol in your pocket. He had called 911 multiple times.

Watch the video bud.

There's another I'll post later when I get home.

hawkguy 06-27-2012 11:59 PM

the "castle doctrine" or 'stand your ground" does not give you a reason to murder someone.

i don't know all the facts of this case, but it kind of sounded like the guy went down the road with a gun and started some crap, which ended in someone being shot and killed. IF this is the case, he is guilty of murder.

if dumb A's keep acting stupid, these laws, which protect law abiding citizens protecting themselves with firearms, will come under serious fire. these laws are meant to protect homeowners/citizens who DO NOT start trouble & used a gun to protect themselves.

loud music is not a reason to end someone's life. this isn't why these laws were put into place.

texaswoodworker 06-27-2012 11:59 PM

He made some mistakes, but it looked like they attacked him first. If he was one HIS property, that would give him the right to shoot. If he was on THEIR property, then they had the right to attack him (though, not very smart).

hawkguy 06-28-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 851408)
He made some mistakes, but it looked like they attacked him first. If he was one HIS property, that would give him the right to shoot. If he was on THEIR property, then they had the right to attack him (though, not very smart).

i agree with this. in the end, it doesn't look like anyone's actions were smart though.

JonM 06-28-2012 12:22 AM

filming yourself provoking a drunk so you can try and kill them priceless.

guilty as charged.

all he ghad to do was leave and cal the police he put himself into a situation and provoked the attack in a belligerent manner.

texaswoodworker 06-28-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 851445)
filming yourself provoking a drunk so you can try and kill them priceless.

guilty as charged.

all he ghad to do was leave and cal the police he put himself into a situation and provoked the attack in a belligerent manner.

That's 100% correct. Had he gone back into his house and called the police, he wouldn't be serving 40 years for murder, and his neighbor would not be dead.

m72law 06-28-2012 12:40 AM

i wonder if he'll get donations?

hope its cigarettes:D