Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Texas Father To Be Charged For Killing Drunk Driver Who Killed His Kids

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,780
Liked 5143 Times on 2933 Posts
Likes Given: 4356

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Well, I haven't seen anything yet to prove the guy was drunk yet. The article say's "suspected drunken driver ".

Also, firearms are to be carried for self defense, not the administering of street justice.

What happens if the "suspected drunken driver " wasn't drunk? Does he get to come back to life?
Excellent post.
__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,446
Liked 7737 Times on 4469 Posts
Likes Given: 9983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Well, I haven't seen anything yet to prove the guy was drunk yet. The article say's "suspected drunken driver ".

I have not read that the dead guy was or was not drunk. Absent any information on this fact I will go off of what the article says.

Quote:
Also, firearms are to be carried for self defense, not the administering of street justice.
Totally agree. But the fact is that this will sometimes happen.

Quote:
What happens if the "suspected drunken driver " wasn't drunk? Does he get to come back to life?
If he was not drunk then I believe that changes everything.

Since the guy is going to trial I imagine this will all come out.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 45
Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

If anything bad happens to my children whoever did it better hope the law finds him/her before I do.

__________________
Curt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,780
Liked 5143 Times on 2933 Posts
Likes Given: 4356

Default

[QUOTE=Vikingdad;1141925
If he was not drunk then I believe that changes everything.
[/QUOTE]


Really?? It changes the fact that he was shot down in cold blood????

Drunk or not, he was shot down in cold blood.

__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,446
Liked 7737 Times on 4469 Posts
Likes Given: 9983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Really?? It changes the fact that he was shot down in cold blood????

Drunk or not, he was shot down in cold blood.
Well, I take it that you would never succumb to the grief and horror of the moment and do something rash. Good for you. I would hope that I would do the same.

Duly noted.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,780
Liked 5143 Times on 2933 Posts
Likes Given: 4356

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Well, I take it that you would never succumb to the grief and horror of the moment and do something rash. Good for you. I would hope that I would do the same.

Duly noted.

Vike, I think you know very well that with my background I certainly understand this guy's feelings. And I have a very bitter hatred of drunk drivers. Always have.

But as a (hopefully) responsible citizen, and as a retired LEO, I also know that we all have a responsibility to not allow our emotions of the moment to so cloud our judgement that we react based on primal instinct and totally disregard the rule of law.

And I think if you step back and take a deep breath you will agree with me.
__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,446
Liked 7737 Times on 4469 Posts
Likes Given: 9983

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Vike, I think you know very well that with my background I certainly understand this guy's feelings. And I have a very bitter hatred of drunk drivers. Always have.

But as a (hopefully) responsible citizen, and as a retired LEO, I also know that we all have a responsibility to not allow our emotions of the moment to so cloud our judgement that we react based on primal instinct and totally disregard the rule of law.

And I think if you step back and take a deep breath you will agree with me.
I would daresay that none of us will have the same reactions to a horrific event. I do not have the same background as you. Perhaps having this discussion here would give us the opportunity to think about what might happen if we do find ourselves in a situation where we might lose it and kill a person where it is not justifiable.

I maintain that this guy acted emotionally and rashly. I am not saying he did the right thing, but putting him in jail while awaiting trial for something that he is (in all likelihood) beating himself up over and will be doing so for the rest of his life (if he has any measure of humanity) is not necessarily the right way to approach it.

He will be put on trial. I am good with that. I think he should be. But is further punishment really necessary?

Quite often drunk drivers who kill people go on to drive drunk again. There is oftentimes very little or no remorse. They can and do kill again in some cases.

My bet is that this guy will never have his surviving kids get out of the car on a road at night again. He will probably never use a gun rashly again (if he carries again).
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 8,780
Liked 5143 Times on 2933 Posts
Likes Given: 4356

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad;1143035 Perhaps having this discussion here would give us the opportunity to think about what might happen if we do find ourselves in a situation where we might lose it and kill a person where it is not justifiable.

[COLOR=Blue
And that is definitely a good thing[/COLOR]!



He will be put on trial. I am good with that. I think he should be. But is further punishment really necessary?

That will be for a judge and jury to decide after examining all of the facts


Quite often drunk drivers who kill people go on to drive drunk again. There is oftentimes very little or no remorse. They can and do kill again in some cases.

Very definitely. I've seen it happen, and there is no excuse for it


My bet is that this guy will never have his surviving kids get out of the car on a road at night again. He will probably never use a gun rashly again (if he carries again)

And let us hope that everyone who hears of this case will learn the same lessons


.
I've often wondered why something like this must happen for us to remove our heads from our arses and pay attention to what we're doing.
__________________

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

locutus is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TheDesertFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 535
Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Default

Makes me wonder about what I would do if that was one of my family members.

__________________
TheDesertFox is offline  
BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Chris Kyle shot and killed at a Texas gun range Shihan Politics, Religion and Controversy 73 02-12-2013 02:29 PM
Drunk Driver Joke CA357 The Club House 3 01-31-2013 01:20 PM
Not Pleased! What has happened to "letting kids be kids" in the school system? orangello Politics, Religion and Controversy 32 10-18-2012 07:45 PM
Tack Driver Billy9mm Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 8 12-24-2011 03:29 PM
Arab on student visa charged with WMD in Texas. Maverick Politics, Religion and Controversy 16 02-26-2011 04:38 AM



Newest Threads