Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Tell Major League Baseball to Ignore Boycott Calls!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default Tell Major League Baseball to Ignore Boycott Calls!

Tell Major League Baseball to Ignore Boycott Calls!

Please CALL Major League Baseball and Tell Them You Hope They Will Keep the All-Star Game in Phoenix!

As you are aware, several pro-amnesty cities and organizations are supporting boycotts of Arizona due to the state's passage of SB 1070 -- the state's immigration enforcement legislation. These states and locales include California, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Oakland, Washington, D.C., New York City, and St. Paul, Minnesota. The newest target for the boycott advocates is Major League Baseball (MLB).

Next year, MLB is planning on holding its annual All-Star Game in Phoenix and pro-illegal alien activists are urging them to move the game. This movement was started by Rep. Jose Serrano (D-NY), who, in a letter to MLB Commissioner Bud Selig, said, "This anti-immigrant law is unjust, wrongheaded, mean-spirited and unconstitutional.... It is important that everyone who believes in justice and our national spirit of decency speak out against this measure.... MLB has a very loud megaphone, and their rejection of Arizona's action would be an important demonstration to Arizona that we do not tolerate such displays of intolerance in our nation." Clearly, Rep. Serrano is not familiar with the law and is simply trying to help illegal aliens.

Sadly, the calls for a boycott do not end there. Michael Weiner, the executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, has made it clear that his organization opposes Arizona's bill because of the "international players" who live in Arizona and travel through Arizona. He neglected to mention that MLB's international players are not affected by the law because they are here legally.

What you can do:

1) Please call Major League Baseball at (212) 931-7800 and urge them to ignore the calls for a boycott. Talking Points are below.

2) Please call the Major League Baseball Players Association at (212) 826-0808 and ask them to ignore calls to join the boycott. Be sure to remind them that MLB's international players are not affected by Arizona's law because they are in this country legally. Additional talking points are below.

3) Please call your favorite and/or local MLB teams and urge them to oppose the calls for a boycott. You may click here to see a list of all teams and their phone numbers. Additional talking points are below.

Suggested talking points:
  • Most media reports suggest that almost everyone involved in Major League Baseball believe the Arizona law is racist. This is far from the truth. Indeed, former Puerto Rican MLB great and current Cleveland coach Sandy Alomar has said, "Certainly I am against profiling any race and having stereotypes, but at the same time my feeling is what does baseball have to do with politics? Let the politicians stay in politics and the baseball players play baseball." I agree with his question: what does baseball have to do with politics? The answer is nothing!
  • Arizona's immigration enforcement law is not racist because it does not target a specific race; it only targets those who have already broken the law by coming to and residing in the United States illegally. This is clearly not something Major League Baseball needs to get involved in.
  • Arizona's new immigration enforcement law is not racist and will help put unemployed Americans back to work -- principally Black and Hispanic Americans because these Americans have the highest unemployment rates and compete against illegal aliens for jobs.
  • Please do not believe the lies being spread about Arizona's immigration enforcement law. Anti-American worker, pro-illegal alien activists are using race-baiting scare tactics to bully people into avoiding Arizona. Please do not join that list and do not support moving the 2011 All-Star game from Phoenix
  • More than two-thirds of the American people support the Arizona immigration enforcement law and most of these Americans are fans of Major League Baseball. If the 2011 All-Star game is moved away from Phoenix, it would set a dangerous precedent. Sport is supposed to rise above petty partisan politics. Please don't give in to the small group of vocal, lying pro-illegal alien, anti-American worker activists!
  • If Major League Baseball decides to boycott Arizona, I and millions more Americans will boycott Major League Baseball. We want nothing to do with an organization that would work to subvert the rule of law and and the wishes of the American people.

Or the canebrake response:
I have been a baseball fan for most of my 63 years. I remember the strike of 1981 as a hiccup in my following. Then came the 1994 strike and the work stoppage has had a lasting effect on my involvement with MLB. I have been softening and returning to the ball park for a game now and then with my family. (As opposed to a season ticket holder in the past.) With the current buzz about the 2011 All-Star game being moved away from Phoenix, I can assure you that if this action is taken, you will lose me and millions of MLB fans forever. If you boycott Phoenix/Arizonian I will see that not only me but everyone I come in contact with will know my feelings, with respect to this decision, and boycott any involvement with MLB. This includes attending games, viewing games on TV, votes on any local support for the teams and the purchase of any and all MLB swag/memorabilia. If this Phoenix/Arizonian boycott is taken by MLB you will lose me as a fan forever.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree Cane, this sh!t is gettin outta hand! Everybody wants to boycott Arizona,I myself feel that Arizona just did what they had to do! Granted,securing the borders is SUPPOSED to be the job of the Feds, but when our legislators try to be SO DAMN politicaly correct that they won't even pass stong enough laws to keep people from entering OUR country illegaly, and there are illegals murdering CITIZENS, then I can understand Arizona taking the ball and running with it! maybe this will shake em up enough to get thier heads out of thier arses and do something to KEEP OUR BORDERS SECURE!!
I also feel that this profiling controversy is a bunch of crap! It is human nature to profile, Everybody does it! People like to put things into catagories, that includes other people. If the illegal immigrant problem was with the Canadian border then I would fit the profile. Well if I was asked to show my DL or passport to show that I am a citizen then so be it, whatever it takes to help plug the drain on the system! The gov is too afraid of hurting some a$$wipes feelings to pass the laws and do what they have to do.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This makes me sick, especially considering the Rasmussen polls show the nation overall to approve of the legislation and the state of Arizona polled a very high approval rating also.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1750 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

I am in the mood to boycott baseball, period! It started with their strike years and years ago! I have not attended a game since mid-70's! New Mexico does not have a team and the do have a minor in Albuquerque; however, I prefer the football and hockey violence!

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 05-03-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
I am in the mood to boycott baseball, period! It started with their strike years and years ago! I have not attended a game since mid-70's! New Mexico does not have a team and the do have a minor in Albuquerque; however, I prefer the football and hockey violence!
Go Isotopes!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I also feel that this profiling controversy is a bunch of crap! It is human nature to profile, Everybody does it!
+1 on profiling pandamonium, and our gub'mint is the biggest perpetrator. They even regulate it!

Ever heard of affirmative action?

If you strike down the Arizona law, you better take a look at the affirmative action laws in our country!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #7

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I may use part of your response Cane. That was well written.

The bill that our Great State of Arizona put together and passed is a better bill than the federal one regarding illegal immigration. It basically mirrors the federal law but has extra safeguards built into it regarding profiling. The people that are bad mouthing the legislation have either not read the bill and have no understanding of it or are intentionally lying about to serve their political cause.