Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Teachers in SD now armed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 3

Default Teachers in SD now armed

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/08/sd-governor-signs-bill-allowing-teachers-to-be-armed/

I think this is a good, what does everyone else think?

Now, my reps in WI need to pass a law allowing me to carry at my university. I don't need to be a statistic in another Virginia Tech scenario.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Meh, I think there are other ways to provide armed security than arming teachers

but it is better than anouncing to the world "hey, I can't put up any resistance!"

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Good For Them!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #4

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj
Meh, I think there are other ways to provide armed security than arming teachers

but it is better than anouncing to the world "hey, I can't put up any resistance!"
Agreed.....!!!!!

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #5

Liked 319 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 510

I think it is a great idea. I understand that there are approx. 2 dozen other states considering similar legislation.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I believe teachers and staff is a better solution than guards. Give them the proper training for their special set of scenarios just like LEOs. Teachers are already vetted to work around our children and are generally very responsible. I mean, we ALREADY trust them with our children, why does that change if they choose to be armed? Also, they are already on the payroll, give them a monthly bonus for taking the extra responsibility, it's a lot cheaper than hiring full time guards. Also, teachers and staff know who belongs and who doesn't so they are more effective at spotting unwelcome visitors/people. And lastly, teachers are ON the scene from second one to the end. A guard could take a couple mins to get across a large campus. Arm teachers properly and post signs saying any attack will be met with lethal force.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #7

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I believe teachers and staff is a better solution than guards. Give them the proper training for their special set of scenarios just like LEOs. Teachers are already vetted to work around our children and are generally very responsible. I mean, we ALREADY trust them with our children, why does that change if they choose to be armed? Also, they are already on the payroll, give them a monthly bonus for taking the extra responsibility, it's a lot cheaper than hiring full time guards. Also, teachers and staff know who belongs and who doesn't so they are more effective at spotting unwelcome visitors/people. And lastly, teachers are ON the scene from second one to the end. A guard could take a couple mins to get across a large campus. Arm teachers properly and post signs saying any attack will be met with lethal force.
the same could be accomplished with our returning vets ... it gives them a job, it gives them purpose and they have actual experience in shooter situations. The costs of guards vs the costs of paying teachers more will end up being a wash when everything is factored in.

Let teachers focus on teaching the children and our vets focus on protecting the children

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2013, 03:37 AM   #8

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Dog: I think both of our opinions are good ideas. Maybe one or the other depending on availability of vets/qualified teachers. The problem is all the law makers won't be on board. The MSM will paint both the ideas as dangerous and somehow racist and or unfair, yada yada yada.

I am so fn sick of all these lame a$$ reactive solutions. The only solution is a proactive solution. I'm just amazed that many educated people can't see this simple concept.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #9
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Knowing the teachers are packing, what changes in student behavior would one expect to see, as opposed to a gun free zone?

If there is just a chance students would be more respectful, for whatever reason, that would be a plus.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default South Dakota Schools

Sky news just said South Dakota voted to allow guns in the schools. Anybody have more info?