Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Teachers in SD now armed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/teachers-sd-now-armed-86096/)

verbete4 03-08-2013 10:31 PM

Teachers in SD now armed

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03/08/sd-governor-signs-bill-allowing-teachers-to-be-armed/

I think this is a good, what does everyone else think?

Now, my reps in WI need to pass a law allowing me to carry at my university. I don't need to be a statistic in another Virginia Tech scenario.

dog2000tj 03-08-2013 10:33 PM

Meh, I think there are other ways to provide armed security than arming teachers :cool:

but it is better than anouncing to the world "hey, I can't put up any resistance!" :o

AR10 03-08-2013 11:33 PM

Good For Them!

deadsp0t 03-09-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj
Meh, I think there are other ways to provide armed security than arming teachers :cool:

but it is better than anouncing to the world "hey, I can't put up any resistance!" :o

Agreed.....!!!!!

Warrior1256 03-09-2013 12:23 AM

I think it is a great idea. I understand that there are approx. 2 dozen other states considering similar legislation.

1911love 03-09-2013 01:37 AM

I believe teachers and staff is a better solution than guards. Give them the proper training for their special set of scenarios just like LEOs. Teachers are already vetted to work around our children and are generally very responsible. I mean, we ALREADY trust them with our children, why does that change if they choose to be armed? Also, they are already on the payroll, give them a monthly bonus for taking the extra responsibility, it's a lot cheaper than hiring full time guards. Also, teachers and staff know who belongs and who doesn't so they are more effective at spotting unwelcome visitors/people. And lastly, teachers are ON the scene from second one to the end. A guard could take a couple mins to get across a large campus. Arm teachers properly and post signs saying any attack will be met with lethal force.

dog2000tj 03-09-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1169191)
I believe teachers and staff is a better solution than guards. Give them the proper training for their special set of scenarios just like LEOs. Teachers are already vetted to work around our children and are generally very responsible. I mean, we ALREADY trust them with our children, why does that change if they choose to be armed? Also, they are already on the payroll, give them a monthly bonus for taking the extra responsibility, it's a lot cheaper than hiring full time guards. Also, teachers and staff know who belongs and who doesn't so they are more effective at spotting unwelcome visitors/people. And lastly, teachers are ON the scene from second one to the end. A guard could take a couple mins to get across a large campus. Arm teachers properly and post signs saying any attack will be met with lethal force.

the same could be accomplished with our returning vets ... it gives them a job, it gives them purpose and they have actual experience in shooter situations. The costs of guards vs the costs of paying teachers more will end up being a wash when everything is factored in.

Let teachers focus on teaching the children and our vets focus on protecting the children :cool:

1911love 03-09-2013 04:37 AM

Dog: I think both of our opinions are good ideas. Maybe one or the other depending on availability of vets/qualified teachers. The problem is all the law makers won't be on board. The MSM will paint both the ideas as dangerous and somehow racist and or unfair, yada yada yada.

I am so fn sick of all these lame a$$ reactive solutions. The only solution is a proactive solution. I'm just amazed that many educated people can't see this simple concept.

AR10 03-09-2013 06:50 AM

Knowing the teachers are packing, what changes in student behavior would one expect to see, as opposed to a gun free zone?

If there is just a chance students would be more respectful, for whatever reason, that would be a plus.

Jagermeister 03-09-2013 05:32 PM

South Dakota Schools

Sky news just said South Dakota voted to allow guns in the schools. Anybody have more info?