Target forms new policy - thanks to Texas Open Carry
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Target forms new policy - thanks to Texas Open Carry

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default Target forms new policy - thanks to Texas Open Carry

WELL it didn't take long for the Texas Open Carry morons to get the ball rolling!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/target_bans_guns_in_stores_says_firearms_arent_fam ily-friendly.html

We have this group to thank for a TON of negative publicity surrounding carry rights lately. They wanted to push this to a head and the inevitable happened: they pushed he wrong people, too far

I have no respect for these fools nor do I consider them a part of my 'cause'. They have hurt the rest of us, and defending this bull cr*p in any way just won't cut it.

Like I said, they are taking 2A backwards, not forwards. More to come I am sure. A bunch of misguided fools listening to some other fools' dime-store philosophies........
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 594 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Default I agree

I open carry and conceal carry all the time. Handgun - in a holster. Almost no one blinks. But if I walk into ANY place and see a bunch of guys toting rifles, I am going to bug out of there or if no escape path, go to a ready state.

I am a shooter but I know enough about this world to deem someone in a store with a rifle as a threat. I know their point is to say "Look, get used to it, see, its not a threat". But in todays society, how does one tell the good guy (albeit not to bright) expressing his rights from a guy on a rampage ?

I don't understand why they don't get it...
"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 627

When the West was young, people carried rifles and carbines both to hunt and as protection. But even when you rode your horse into town, the rifle stayed in the saddle sheath, which would be the equivalent of leaving it in your car. You took it out at night to bed down wherever you were: hotel, home or campfire. This was a time when you could be set upon by wild animals or felonious humans fairly regularly. Your pistol was your always at hand first form of defense then as now. The open carry laws were intended not to victimize law-abiding citizens who wished to carry their pistol in a peaceful manner.

This makes me wonder why anyone would then think that, in this emotionally charged atmosphere we are in now, carrying a semiautomatic rifle into Target, especially when done in groups of three or four, would somehow engender support for 2A and carry rights. I would fully back them if they shopped at target and had their sidearm on while they did it, holstered but in plain view. This makes them look perfectly normal, just armed, and makes people have to deal with the fact that carrying. A gun does not make you automatically a criminal, nor crazy. But you can hardly blame the general public from shying away from a group of people that show up at Target with an assortment of ARs and AKs. I myself would be suspicious if I saw that, and I grew up in a mountain town where everyone had rifles and shotguns in their pickup and pistols on their hip! Guns weren't looked upon as any different than a shovel, but no one took a long gun shopping with them.

This movement would have been best served if the pro-carry groups had dressed in polo shirts and slacks, no camo, looking like insurance salesmen, and then volunteered at soup kitchens, car washes or other charitable events, or even just walk their dogs around the neighborhood to look as normal as possible. If they play with their dog in the park, people have to reconcile the fact that this is just a normal, working, tax-paying citizen who loves his family and just happens to carry a gun. It gives Joe Q. Public the image of guns being a part of everyday life and not inherently evil. Now, if anything, the rifle carry in Target, Starbucks and other public places has done almost as much damage as the actual shootings, only because the public sees rifle carriers as part of a splinter faction that has a point to make, just like terrorists. They don't want to take the time to figure out if their safe or not and just lump them all together in the "Crazies" category and run away in fear. If that's what they were trying to accomplish, then in a way they're no different than a domestic terrorist.

Just like everything else done in public, there is a right way and a wrong way. By applying a little common sense and a forethought, we can create a sense of familiarity and comfort in the general public when confronted with a firearm. In this way, we benefit both sides of the argument and make everyday life easier for everyone.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1279 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Just another example of people either not having or not using good sense.
Open carry should be tailored according to the environment. It would be pretty inconvenient for somebody to carry a rifle and do any serious shopping at the same time. And to intimidate the customers and staff of a business is hardly a way to bring positive attention to gun owners. Maybe some of it is being done by anti's just for the sake of the negative reaction it generates. Either the rifle-toters are not mentally adequate to be having guns, or they are knowingly sabotaging the 2nd amendment for the rest of us.
People who go to those store are intending to shop for clothes, bath towels, toasters, or school supplies, etcetera. The last thing they want is to see a bunch of clowns wearing camo, bloused combat boots, and carrying semi-auto rifles strutting around pretending they are an occupying army.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 07-02-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3296 Times on 1596 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

I agree! It is simply common sense!

Here is the quote from Target!

*Target joins a collection of other national chains, primarily restaurants, that have asked
customers not to bring weapons into stores, or not to display them openly.

I do not have a serious problem with and respect their position! It is their right regarding their stores. If one takes serious offense do not go there! If you notice they are not saying that they are not allowing people to exercise their Second Amendment Right to protect themselves only that if carried they be concealed. It is idiots that want to play cowboy and march around with open weapons like rifles and other large weapons that are the ones that are truely damaging our cause with the public! Let's use some common sense! I carry most everywhere even if there is a sign on the door. But the key is, I use common sense and no one knows I am carrying! And I do not tell anyone! Only my wife or a good friend would even know I have a piece on me!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1279 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Amen, '03.
A good guess is that a lot of these clowns could not qualify for a CWP. And apparently don't realize that a good third of the people they are offending have CWP's and are carrying concealed while being subjected to that stupid show.

Now Target is going the way of Chipotle and Starbucks.
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Troll Scout

Liked 1205 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 736

Another "Target" rich environment.....
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #8

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Amen, '03.
A good guess is that a lot of these clowns could not qualify for a CWP. And apparently don't realize that a good third of the people they are offending have CWP's and are carrying concealed while being subjected to that stupid show.
have CWP and instead of enjoying my shopping experience, wondering where the a**holes with the rifles are while I'm trying to otherwise shop

Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3821 Times on 2611 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Right on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant_one View Post
I know their point is to say "Look, get used to it, see, its not a threat".
Only as an excuse. The real point is giving everyone a giant middle finger. Beneath the surface it is anger and resentment, not the goodness of heart. People do things because they can. They are testing us, and they want to be tested.

I have not met any of them, but their behavior shows them as reckless and dangerous individuals.
People Like This 
Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I asked the group on their Facebook page if they understand that they are just repeating history, the same way California got OC banned. Not a single direct response to my questions. They make us all look like the gun crazies MDA paints us to be...

Closed Thread