Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > talked to my state rep yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Default talked to my state rep yesterday

Yesterday afternoon I stopped in to see my state rep, a democrat. We spoke about gun control in the nation and the state. He told me about some of the good laws that they have passed in Frankfort and. About what he thinks on the matter. He told me that it is easy to demonize a weapon after such tragedies as we seen in ct and that rushing around trying to fix the problem with banning of that weapon is pointless. He said without training a man could have killed more defenseless people with four revolvers as he did with the semi auto weapons used in that massacre. He said that our schools are vulnerable and that he will be looking into ways to keep our kids safe in Kentucky as soon as he gets to Frankfort on Feb 5th for opening day of the general assembly. I told him that his constituents have great ideas if he would listen and he urged me to set a date and a place and he would clear his schedule to listen to what we have to say. I called the state senator that represents my district and am waiting for a call back. I am going to set this meeting up as soon as I can. I am going to urge for introducing the firearms freedom legislation which many states have passed under the tenth amendment, sheriff's first legislation to curb overreaching by the feds in the state of Kentucky and propose doing away with the gun free zones in the state. I think if we can get these bills on the floor of our house they can pass with some push from our 2a friendly dems.

As far as doing away with gun free zones in the state, I was thinking that if the state passed a law saying that in order for you to carry in a school you must have a background check ran yearly, a serpa type holster where the firearm has a lock that must be pushed and a concealed carry permit. Studies show that if fathers volenteer at their children's school the fathers students will actually get better grades and be a better student. This could help with the education in the state that is less than great and keep our children safe. I think more fathers would volenteer more If they could carry a firearm to keep their kids school safe.

Last edited by CaseyChadwell; 01-18-2013 at 02:08 PM.
CA357 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

What about the mothers??

Just giving teachers the option to ccw by removing gun free zones is enough. There are already federal and state laws not being enforced in every state by district attournies when criminals are caught doing criminal things.

The azahna spa shooter in milwaukee had an armed stand off with police weeks before the shooting but the da didnt press charges the police didnt arrest him...

Automating the nics gun background check system and allowing private citizens to submit background checks when they make private sales would help.

What you dont need is more hoops that private citizens need to go through in order to carry a gun. Sherpa holster have a long history of glock leg syndrome and lots of folks refuse to use em. I dont think you need eleborate ccw plans when simply allowing your state ccw and oc laws to work in schools and other public venues

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Great post. I have had good luck contacting reps in the past and an still doing so. The squeaky wheel gets the most grease. Parent involvement is a hugely overlooked issue.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
What about the mothers??

Just giving teachers the option to ccw by removing gun free zones is enough. There are already federal and state laws not being enforced in every state by district attournies when criminals are caught doing criminal things.

The azahna spa shooter in milwaukee had an armed stand off with police weeks before the shooting but the da didnt press charges the police didnt arrest him...

Automating the nics gun background check system and allowing private citizens to submit background checks when they make private sales would help.

What you dont need is more hoops that private citizens need to go through in order to carry a gun. Sherpa holster have a long history of glock leg syndrome and lots of folks refuse to use em. I dont think you need eleborate ccw plans when simply allowing your state ccw and oc laws to work in schools and other public venues
I will take your advice, that is why i posted. However, I think that pointing out that fathers have a huge impact on the education of young children would help the bill pass, would you think so as well?If allowing fathers, and mothers of course, will keep our children safe AND help the education of our young children, why not do that. As for the background checks, those have to be done anyway in Kentucky to volenteer at schools...at least in my children's schools.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Best of luck. I hope you get a fair and unbiased hearing. Being reasonable will do much more than getting irate. However, we don't need any more "reasonable" restrictions on the Second Amendment.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Best of luck. I hope you get a fair and unbiased hearing. Being reasonable will do much more than getting irate. However, we don't need any more "reasonable" restrictions on the Second Amendment.
One thing I love about my state rep is he is so calm and collective. It is hard to be irate when the man is listening to what you have to say, then speaks when you're finished. He is a democrat, however he is a strong supporter of the second amendment and is usually backed and endorsed by the nra. Evenwhen there is a strong republican candidate facing him. He has voted for the vast majority of the laws pertaining to the second amendment and even voted for some that didn't pass.

Like I told him yesterday, this problem with the second is not a problem with dems or republicans, it is a problem with people wanting to violate the constitution. He agreed and when went on to say that the problem, he feels, lies more with the mental health issue than it ever could with the firearms use. In these shootings. He said background checks would not help because people will get the tools they want to conduct such acts whether it be legal or illegally done. If Americans stop looking at this froma meet vs right mentality maybe we can fix the actual issues and move on to more pressing issues like the economy.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 AM   #7

Just got off the phone with state senator Harris. He too will be joint in on this meeting. As of right now we are looking at venues in Carrollton Kentucky and the possible dates are the 29 30 or 31 of January. Even if you don't live in the same district you should attempt to attend. Hoping to be a very large turnout. Have glaubers sports on board in getting people to come out and voice their opinions. I have to say, I am getting excited about this! I can wait!!