Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Taking a firearm OUT of California?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 6

Default Taking a firearm OUT of California?

Hello all,

I am a VA resident and will be heading to Cali for Christmas. My grandfather passed a few years ago and I have been negotiating with my uncle to purchase my grandfathers handguns from him. Does anyone know about the rules surrounding this? DO we need to "publish" the sale of them? Or can I just give him the money and fly out with them in accordance with TSA regulations? And help and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm not 100% with the family aspect, but usually, wouldn't an out-of-stater need to get them sent from a Commie er Cali FFL/gunshop to a FFL in their home state to purchase them? It may be different with a relative, not certain.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Bureau of Firearms | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf
Page 37 doesn't look good for you. Maybe a Commie er Cali FFL would have some advice on a legal way around it, maybe not.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You may need to get a Ph.D to understand all the rules. One small mess up and you'll have a TSA or local cop at the airport snapping on a pair of latex gloves and wanting to interview you.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8609 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer. Am gun nut, held collector's FFL since 1976.

This is governed by Federal law- 18 US Code 922.

If you INHERIT a firearm, either by bequest, or being next of kin with no will, the executor of the estate CAN send the firearm directly to you in another state, as long as you can own it legally in that state.

With that exception, unless you have a FFL, you may not acquire a handgun in a state you do not reside in, and you cannot acquire a long gun in another state except from a FFL dealer.

You CAN have uncle SHIP guns to a FFL in your home state. He will receive guns, do a 4473 and background check, just like you were buying them in home state. Does not need to be shipped FROM a FFL, but does need to go TO a FFL.

A non-dealer can only ship handguns by UPS/ FedEx Next Day Air- very pricy. A California Dealer CAN ship by US Mail, much cheaper- so may want to locate a CA dealer, pay him to ship to your VA dealer.

Gunbroker.com has a "find a FFL" function to locate dealers that have indicated they will act as transfer agents. Find one in CA, one in VA.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt