Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Supreme Court to decide on CC legality?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default Supreme Court to decide on CC legality?

I just saw on Fox News that the Supreme Court is going to decide whether we have the right to carry concealed weapons outside the home, apparently the Fed court in Colorado said the 2A doesn't grant this right, and Fed court in Illinois decided it does fall under 2A and in New York they say you have to prove reason to need a permit. So now the high court is going to decide on the issue. Hopefully the court agrees with the decision in Illinois that keep and "bear" arms references to carrying loaded weapons outside the home otherwise there will be a huge blow dealt to our freedoms.

I personally don't see how it's any business of the Federal Govt to stick their nose into the issue, the larger and more corrupt the Fed becomes the more the need for State's Rights grows.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

papaj1 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

If this is true we are in serious trouble.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure it's true, here is the link to the Fox story, its is a video: http://video.foxnews.com/v/2188707945001/?playlist_id=928378949001
Found this on Facebook, its Denver Post article giving some info on the cases in CO and IL: http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22648641/federal-court-no-second-amendment-guarantee-concealed-carry

Old 02-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Not good. Not good at all.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

To "bear" means to carry.

Molon Labe!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #6

Liked 178 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 52

It looks like they are supporting the Tenth Amendment; they will leave it up to the states to write the concealed carry laws. Which is nothing new.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

In Florida alone there are more than a million people with concealed weapons licenses. That's just one state. Seems to me the issue's already been decided. If they now rule that concealed carry is unconstitutional then the mother of all class-action lawsuits gets filed against every state that tries to revoke CC licenses by license holders who will want to recoup all the money they spent on licensing fees.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
People Like This 
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

I don't really believe it will be a issue of whether or not cc is constitutional but rather whether cc is legal under 2a which would mean it would be legal throughout the nation, the challenge comes from a WA resident who applied for a CO cc permit and was denied as CO only issues to residents so he challenged based on 2A. I think the court will say States have the ability to decide, as it is now, not say CC is illegal.

BigByrd47119 Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5485 Times on 3105 Posts
Likes Given: 4763

The federal courts will eventually rule that the states cannot ban carry, but may impose "reasonable" regulation. And then other cases in the future will be needed to define "reasonable.

At least, that's my guess.

Golda Meier.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The federal courts will eventually rule that the states cannot ban carry, but may impose "reasonable" regulation. And then other cases in the future will be needed to define "reasonable.

At least, that's my guess.
They already have, the 7th Circuit ruled exactly that in December and affirmed it last week. Illinois has about 60 days left to enact a concealed carry law or it becomes a Constitution Carry state by default. I also believe that the Maryland decision last year struck down the "reasonable need" requirement in that state's law. We now have several different precedents set by the various Circuit Courts...add Heller and McDonald to the mix and it's increasingly apparent that SCOTUS needs to take the issue and the only real solution is incorporation of the 2A to the states which neither Heller nor McDonald has done.

The CO case, as stated, was a narrow decision on Constitutional Carry, the plaintiff sued because he was denied a CO CCW and there was no reciprocity with his resident state. The Courts ruling upheld the rights of the states to regulate who can carry a firearm within their borders...it was not necessarily determinitive of whether the 2A affords one the right to bear arms.

Problem is I do not trust the Roberts Court to do the right thing, not enough pure constitutional conservatives, hope I am wrong.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 02-26-2013 at 03:46 AM.