Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Suppressors for Long Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Suppressors for Long Guns

Hey, all, and Merry Christmas!

I'm not all that knowledgeable about things like this so would appreciate your input.

What are the laws concerning "suppressors" for long guns these days. I see them on long guns from time to time but don't know if they are ok to have in all states. I live in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia where the sound of a firearm is not generally appreciated so the idea of keeping the report down appeals to me. Does anybody have any specific, or even general information about these?

I also spend time in Southern Oregon where my son lives. Thanks for any comments.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

California is a whole different beast. Where I live and most states $200 tax approved by the local law enforcement officer and a long wait 3mnths to over a year. Your best bet is find a class 3 dealer locally and talk to them. It is also a good idea to buy it in a trust.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

C3 might stop by, he's kind of our resident subject matter expert on this kind of thing.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
California is a whole different beast. Where I live and most states $200 tax approved by the local law enforcement officer and a long wait 3mnths to over a year. Your best bet is find a class 3 dealer locally and talk to them. It is also a good idea to buy it in a trust.
A $200 federal tax that's approved by local sheriff and ATF.

Trust's are allowed to circumvent the signoff of local law enforcement and allow more than one individual to posses the item.

You may not transport across state lines unless the ATF has approved it beforehand.

Only if Cali allows private ownership of nfa items. If they do...

You find a class 3 dealer. Decide if you want a trust. Buy the item. Dealer fills out the appropriate forms and keeps the item until you receive the stamp.

You will need a 2"x2" "passport " photo to attach to the forms. You can do this yourself, but it need be a recent photo.

If a trust, send paperwork to ATF. If not a trust, take paperwork to police chief or sheriff's department, they will take fingerprints and sign the forms if they approve.

Once approved by LEO, send to ATF and wait. 2 years ago, you would've waited 6-8 months. My last one took 51 days.

A revokable trust is the way to go.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 12-21-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

California you cant own nfa items. Some people DO have them there but they were grandfathered in when the ban came.

Surprisingly several of the top silencer makers are in california and one, if i remember right, will not sell their products to any government agency in ca heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guys, kinda how I figured. If someone would ever came up with a devise that made a gun louder, Kalifornia would probably give you a tax credit to buy it. It would help them in their efforts to restrict firearms even more. Ugh

Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
Thanks guys, kinda how I figured. If someone would ever came up with a devise that made a gun louder, Kalifornia would probably give you a tax credit to buy it. It would help them in their efforts to restrict firearms even more. Ugh
There are such devices. They are called compensators but those are no go in ca too heh. Next thing they will do is outlaw the color black. It takes a lib to think that external coloration is bad...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Yeah, regrets, but CA does not permit possession of suppressors, other than those grandfathered in.

They ARE legal in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Missouri requires that you also have a C&R FFL.

In the states listed above, you apply to the BATFE, just as you would for a machinegun, and pay them a one time $200 tax, and do the paperwork. But CA, sorry Charlie, no can do.

I can get you a Realtor in a free state. You just have to get used to the cost of a house having one less zero.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-22-2011 at 12:57 AM.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yea, I'm 3rd generation here and I'd be outa here in a minute if my two daughters hadn't married and bought houses, one accross the street and one two doors down... now that I'm retired, I'm stuck! I do get to be near 7 of my 10 grandbabies though, and I get out once in a while, mostly up to Oregon where my son lives. I'm not Kalifornian at heart and I do envy you guys. I think I was born in the wrong state, heh.