This sucks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > This sucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Default This sucks

Since the big, I don't know, panic buying, I cannot find any small pistol primers on the planet. When do you expect that a body will be able to obtain some more? Had to pull apart some .38 spec. to get the primers for a different loading project. Usually only buy 200 or so. Next time, I guess I will have to get the big box. Scheell's was wiped out. The guy said he could order some for me, but it didn't look like they could order any for themselves.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I never buy in quantities less than 1000. Just does not make sense to me. I used to buy them by the sleeve of 5000, but they have gotten too expensive and my supplier went out of business.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2719 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 267

Same up this way. Primers in general, CCI in particular, have been thinner than usual since the Aurora shooting. I kept holding out hoping that CCI LP would show up. Monday after the Sandy Hook shooting, I went out and bought 2 bricks of LP and 3 Bricks of SR.
There are some out there, it just depends on how desperate you are. I've seen various primers for $40 to $60 a brick in the local classifieds.
When I get to the point where I only have a brick of a particular primers, it's time to buy more. If this feast or famine crap continues, it may become a 3 brick minimum.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5531 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

I try to always buy at least 10,000 of each type.

Not all in one purchase, of course.

When I get down to 5000, I buy more of that type.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I try to always buy at least 10,000 of each type.

Not all in one purchase, of course.

When I get down to 5000, I buy more of that type.
How much powder to you keep around your house? Bullets? and how many things do you need to load for?I have a brick of berdan primers, and a brick of large rifle. was planing on loading up my pantry with rounds during the winter.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,

Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5531 Times on 3132 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
How much powder to you keep around your house? Bullets? and how many things do you need to load for?I have a brick of berdan primers, and a brick of large rifle. was planing on loading up my pantry with rounds during the winter.
I generally buy powder in 8 pound caddies. When I open an 8 pound caddie, I buy another one. That way I always have an unopened 8 pounder in the magazine. You can get very good prices if you buy a case of four 8 pound caddies. BTW, check with your local fire dept. You may need to build a powder magazine (easy and low cost) to comply with the code, and for insurance purposes.

(If you don't belong to a gun club with a FFL, join one or organize one.)

I load mostly 9MM, 5.56X 45, 7.62X51, and .30-06. I buy bullets in case lots of 1000 or 2000, depending on caliber.

(Hint- buy Remington or Winchester military type FMJ bullets for practice. They're much less expensive and will kill a soda can just as dead as a Sierra Match King.)

I load other calibers as well--.45 ACP, .38 and .357 mag, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .25 ACP, .40 S&W, 10MM, .30 carbine, ,303 Brit, .338 WinMag, .375 H&H, 6MM Remington, but I don't stock very much ammo or reloading supplies for these since I don't shoot them very much.

I buy through my gun club that has an FFL, so I get dealer cost.

Winston Churchill

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Gun club with a license sounds pretty good. Wish there was more interest around here, to even just have a gun club. Bought a key to a range about 2 hours from my house. Have only been there twice and haven't met any of the officers yet. My usual 200 yd county range was recently shut down because a round allegedly left the range and hit a farmer in his field. They have raised the berms, but no news about if it will re-open, or how it will be supervised.

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,