Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > stupid self defense question from a jar head ....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Therewolf has it right, but what's done is done. Do your duediligence, get the RO, document what you can with the PD, and keep in mind there are PLENTY of non-lethal weapons that will make this terd think twice about giving you the business. Know the law, to the letter, try and make safe and smart decisions. It'll blow over eventually. Stay safe, deepest gratitude for your sacrifices...

Vin

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #42

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I would go out of my way to

avoid this guy, all who know him,

and anybody like him.

Yes, you are in the right.

NO, it's not worth killing somebody to

prove it.

What kind of retard uses their

tools of the trade as collateral for

a loan in the first place?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
What kind of retard uses their

tools of the trade as collateral for

a loan in the first place?

Um. i know ding ding ding@!!!! ADRUG DEALER< PEICE OF CRAP!!!!!!
"YOU ARE CORRRECTTTTTTT"..
but seriourly..
im in HVAC-R. i would never sell any of my tools if i needed money... not even backups

Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #44

Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Yeah, sort of a rhetorical question there.

The guy didn't pay back what was owed,

and he wants "his" stuff back

anyway?

Just how are things doing on the planet Zarn

recently?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #45
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20920 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Talking

simple to define, you loaned him money, he refused to pay you back and wants his property back. well until he pays you, it's your property now. he made threats against you and your girlfriend, make a report each and everytime. get a restraining order. find a better class of friends, including the brother. BTDT. if you hang out and socialize with low-life gangster wanna-be's, all you are going to have is problems. as true as it is, a person is defined by his circle of friends.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Okay...there has been some good, not so good, and down right crappy advice given here thus far.

From my perspective:

Since you alreay know you shouldn't have got involved with this turd to begin with, I will not beat that particular dead horse.

At the time you pawned the tattoo gear, I am going to assume he had gone past the date at which he was supposed to pay you back. If that is the case, you owned the items, and they were yours to do with as you saw fit. It is done, done and done. There are no negative legal ramifications for selling/pawning those items, thus you are left with a WBT (wannabethug) who is trying to "Gets mines!".

If I can also assume thet your injuries are service-related (btw, thank you for your service), then those injuries are VERY WELL DOCUMENTED indeed. You walk with the continued assistance of a cane, therefore YOU are physically handicapped and disabled, and would be UNABLE TO DEFEND YOURSELF IN A HAND TO HAND PHYSICAL CONFRONTATION WITH AN ABLE BODIED PERSON, and there fore have a reasonable belief that a fight of that sort could cause you further GRAVE BODILY HARM, and in this case CRIPPLING INJURY.

So, you SHOULD, and damned well better document EVERY contact, and threat made against you by this turd or his friends. Date, Time, Location, Nature Of Threat. Get that all-important paper trail started.

You must NOT say anything that can be contstrued as a threat against him as that COULD lead to a "mutual combat" type scenario, and that would be "no se bueno". You have to be heard as the one always saying things like "I don't want trouble" or "Please, don't hurt me.". Swallow the bitter ego pill...I know it's tough, but remember...if a witness to an incident hears YOU say something like that, than your standing in a claim of self-defense grows exponentially.

Make a DOCUMENTABLE offer to pay him the money back. Make sure you are heard to say something akin to: "Look, I loaned you $______ with the equipment as collateral, and you didn't pay me back as agreed. I sold it to get my money back, but I am willing to give you $__________ though I can't afford it JUST TO AVOID ANY MORE TROUBLE AND TO ENSURE THAT YOU DON'T CARRY OUT YOUR THREAT TO HURT MY GIRLFRIEND OR BREAK ANY MORE WINDOWS ON MY HOME."

That statement has just said that YOU are willing to give him something, though HE defaulted on your agreement, and that YOU don't want HIM to do anything else. You have made an accusation, that he probably won't deny because he is getting the $$ he wants, AND the thought of him being the big bad tough guy will stroke his ego, and even if he didn't toss the brick, he will be more than willing to let you think so. He will step right into his own BS trap, and you have the bonus of having made that statement. You have ALSO said again, that YOU DON'T WANT TROUBLE and that YOU are fearful for your girlfriend's safety based upon threats HE has made.

If he accepts then $$...then GREAT this turd is flushed, you can go on about your life in peace, and for the price, it's a bargain.

If he chooses to move forward with any threats or violence against you or your girlfriend, you now have PROOF that YOU were in fear of death or grave bodily harm.

I hope you don't have to go there, but if you do, be damned sure you can articulate WHY you had to take the action you did.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #47

I just stumbled onto this forum and this thread made me register. I'm surprised at all of the replies telling you to bend over and take it. Well if you're anything like me then your pride/stupidity/whatever won't let you back down. The man is a bully and nothing more. If you give him what he wants he'll get off on it and learn that's how to treat people.

Nobody gets away with threatening me or my family. As far as I'm concerned that person is a dead man. I just need a legal excuse to pull the trigger. Luckily in my state (Washington) the law is on my side:

Quote:
Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or

(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he is.
Remember that a dead man tells no tales. So if you do your job right there's nobody to contradict your version of events. This law leaves the door wide open for justifiable excuses. We have some other great laws too:

Quote:
The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

(5) Whenever used by a carrier of passengers or the carrier's authorized agent or servant, or other person assisting them at their request in expelling from a carriage, railway car, vessel, or other vehicle, a passenger who refuses to obey a lawful and reasonable regulation prescribed for the conduct of passengers, if such vehicle has first been stopped and the force used is not more than is necessary to expel the offender with reasonable regard to the offender's personal safety;

(6) Whenever used by any person to prevent a mentally ill, mentally incompetent, or mentally disabled person from committing an act dangerous to any person, or in enforcing necessary restraint for the protection or restoration to health of the person, during such period only as is necessary to obtain legal authority for the restraint or custody of the person.
So if he shows up bare minimum I get to **** his ass up. The least serious degree of assault in this state is simply making someone feel threatened. So technically you've been assaulted just by him being there. He's trespassing too. Especially if you have a restraining order. I think it's like that in most other states too. So I can use whatever force necessary to get him off of my property. I'd likely just say that he threatened to kill me and looked like he was reaching for a gun. I "feared for my life." BOOM HEADSHOT!

Make sure you do the police report thing too so that you look like an upstanding citizen.

Check the laws in your state and don't take no **** from nobody. Get your girl some firearms training and make sure she's not afraid to use it. And for the love of all that is holy don't pay this mother****er a single cent.

Last edited by Requi3m; 10-13-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #48
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20920 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Cool

Requi3m, pride and dignity won't buy squat in prison! why didn't you just tell him to go hunt the thug down? sometimes backing off is not a sign ow weakness, but of wisdom. only if said thug violates a restraining order and if fear of your life are you allowed to use deadly force. you are the type of person who strikes me as looking for a reason @#$% someone up! a smart person doesn't look for trouble and goes out of his way to avoid it. a smart person will walk away and only defend himself when all other options are exhausted, and only as a last resort, not the first action.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Requi3m, pride and dignity won't buy squat in prison! why didn't you just tell him to go hunt the thug down? sometimes backing off is not a sign ow weakness, but of wisdom. only if said thug violates a restraining order and if fear of your life are you allowed to use deadly force. you are the type of person who strikes me as looking for a reason @#$% someone up! a smart person doesn't look for trouble and goes out of his way to avoid it. a smart person will walk away and only defend himself when all other options are exhausted, and only as a last resort, not the first action.
Why would I go to prison? Read the laws I cited. Oh, you just reminded me of another one of my favorite laws in this state:

Quote:
(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

(2) When a person charged with a crime listed in subsection (1) of this section is found not guilty by reason of self-defense, the state of Washington shall reimburse the defendant for all reasonable costs, including loss of time, legal fees incurred, and other expenses involved in his or her defense. This reimbursement is not an independent cause of action. To award these reasonable costs the trier of fact must find that the defendant's claim of self-defense was sustained by a preponderance of the evidence. If the trier of fact makes a determination of self-defense, the judge shall determine the amount of the award.

(3) Notwithstanding a finding that a defendant's actions were justified by self-defense, if the trier of fact also determines that the defendant was engaged in criminal conduct substantially related to the events giving rise to the charges filed against the defendant the judge may deny or reduce the amount of the award. In determining the amount of the award, the judge shall also consider the seriousness of the initial criminal conduct.

Nothing in this section precludes the legislature from using the sundry claims process to grant an award where none was granted under this section or to grant a higher award than one granted under this section.

(4) Whenever the issue of self-defense under this section is decided by a judge, the judge shall consider the same questions as must be answered in the special verdict under subsection (4) [(5)] of this section.
So not only am I not going to prison, but the state of washington has to reimburse me for my defense.

I don't mess around when it comes to the defense of my family. I didn't tell him to go looking for trouble, but to meet the trouble head on when it comes to him. If someone goes to my home or my or my wife/girlfriend's place of business looking to do harm well then he signed his own death warrant.

Last edited by Requi3m; 10-13-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #50

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requi3m View Post
Why would I go to prison? Read the laws I cited. Oh, you just reminded me of another one of my favorite laws in this state:

So not only am I not going to prison, but the state of washington has to reimburse me for my defense.

I don't mess around when it comes to the defense of my family. I didn't tell him to go looking for trouble, but to meet the trouble head on when it comes to him. If someone goes to my home or my or my wife/girlfriend's place of business looking to do harm well then he signed his own death warrant.
Your first post here did seem a little blood-thirsty. No offense, just my personal observation. Its important to remember that this is a public forum and not everyone that may read posts made here would be considered friendly. In addition, being able to intelligently articulate what exactly it is that you mean is the difference between being perceived as either a strong contributor to the 2A movement and being a loose cannon.

No harm or insult intended mind you. 99% of the members here will advocate that avoiding a legal scenario is always the best option but only if you don't compromise yours or others safety.

This isnt the Marines. Unlike in a war zone, if you shoot someone your very likely going to have to defend yourself in, at the very least, a civil scenario. Your situation due to state laws may be very different (I read the ones you posted, but case law can be dramatically different) from those of the OP.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun