Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > this is stupid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Default this is stupid

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/24/7th-grader-suspended-for-playing-with-airsoft-gun-in-own-yard/?intcmp=latestnews

One part that ticks me off the worst is this line right here
"The school's so-called "zero-tolerance" policy on guns extends to private property, according to the report"

I don't know what this kid does but before school but when I was in school I was trying to finish homework or catch up on reading before school. I never had time to play.

The kid shouldn't have been playing airsoft in the front yard before school but on the other hand the school had no reason to react and it should have just been a thing between the parent and child.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

I'll say it again. The liberals are out of control in our nations schools.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5882 Times on 2910 Posts
Likes Given: 6245

So wrong, everyone with a Public Servant ID Card is a judge now! Stay the phuck out of my bedroom, living room and home sweet home!!!!!

Thats all I can say...

Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6617 Times on 3619 Posts
Likes Given: 12968

It sounds like the boy was shooting at other children who did not consent to participate in his game. A school bus stop is considered an extension of school property. Misbehavior at the bus stop can be disciplined at school (weird but true.)

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

There is so much more I would like to know before I pass judgement on this. Were these kids he was playing with also armed with airsoft guns? Was it a planned playtime? Was anyone not involved in the playtime threatened or hit?

If these kids were waiting for their school bus that tells me they were way outside the gun-free zone located around the school, but it would depend on state statutes as to whether or not a school bus stop is also a gun free zone. According to US Code, private property is not included in gun free school zones, but the state may be able to override that.

Pay attention now. This is one of the very few times you will ever see me write this. This sounds like a perfect case for the <gag> ACLU.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Liked 374 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
It sounds like the boy was shooting at other children who did not consent to participate in his game. A school bus stop is considered an extension of school property. Misbehavior at the bus stop can be disciplined at school (weird but true.)
Not really weird, Mr. Mc. Some companies consider outside their buildings, including to and from the workplace, to be an extension of the workplace. Two guys duking it out on the sidewalk or at the bar across the street at lunch time is no different than if they were on company property and subject to the same disciplinary action.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The property is approx. 200' from the bus stop. All the kids participated. The boy had a target on their tree in the front yard with a net to catch the pellets. The neighbor who called 911 is the mother of one of the boys and knew it wasn't a real gun. She decided it was easier to call the law than step out of her front door. Chasing eachother around, they came within 10' of the bus stop area. The local ordinance states it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150' of another building unless you are on private property. A little ambiguous.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2688 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
The property is approx. 200' from the bus stop. All the kids participated. The boy had a target on their tree in the front yard with a net to catch the pellets. The neighbor who called 911 is the mother of one of the boys and knew it wasn't a real gun. She decided it was easier to call the law than step out of her front door. Chasing eachother around, they came within 10' of the bus stop area. The local ordinance states it is unlawful to discharge a firearm within 150' of another building unless you are on private property. A little ambiguous.
Within 10' of the bus stop area? WTH does that mean? Is the "area" the actual stop or the same zip code?

Since when is an airsoft gun a "firearm"?

I agree, this is STUPID!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #9

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Maybe it is the principle from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

http://www.casondrabrewster.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/principal-rooney-middle-finger-ferris-buellers-day-off-261x300.jpg

Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6958 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8370

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Children waiting at a bus stop to go to school are not to be bullied, etc. same as if in the actual school.

But if the kids playing were NOT at the bus stop, then I wouldn't think the bus stop rules apply.