stopping the evil
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > stopping the evil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default stopping the evil

North carolina becomes third state to get it right!! more states need to follow this. i would posit that the police be forced to make these firearms available to the poor and indigent for self protection at a greatly reduced priced for those able to pass a back ground check like any other gun sale.

Quote:
States Rights

North Carolina law prohibits police from destroying guns

Published September 03, 2013
FoxNews.com

Jan. 26, 2013: Hand guns are seen in a box in Trenton, N.J., during a gun buyback event.AP

A new law going into effect this week in North Carolina law prohibits law enforcement from destroying unclaimed guns and firearms acquired through gun buyback programs.

The so-called "save the gun" law passed the Republican-controlled Legislature in the spring as the state moved to strengthen gun rights in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, the Los Angeles Times reports.

The law requires that law enforcement agencies donate, keep or sell confiscated guns to licensed gun dealers. Guns may only be destroyed if they are damaged or missing serial numbers, according to the report.

In the past, North Carolina law enforcement agencies needed a judge's permission to sell or destroy guns. The move to strip judges and local police's options in dealing with unclaimed guns was backed by the National Rifle Association.

"It is critical for you to contact your state Representative TODAY and urge her or him to oppose any efforts to amend H 714 in a way that will allow any discretion by judges or law enforcement to destroy lawful functioning firearms," read an alert issued by the NRA's lobbying arm while the bill was being debated.

A gun buyback program held last week in Wilmington lasted just 30 minutes before it ran out of money. Organizers set aside $4,000 from private donors, planning to pay $100 for handguns, shotguns or rifles and $200 for assault weapons. A total of 67 guns were collected.

In July, state lawmakers approved a bill that allows concealed-carry permit holders to take firearms into bars and restaurants and other places where alcohol is served as long as the owner doesn't expressly forbid it.

The measure, which takes effect in October, also allows concealed-carry permit holders to store weapons in locked cars on the campus of any public school or university. Guns will also now be allowed on greenways, playgrounds and other public recreation areas.

The final bill dropped a controversial provision that would have repealed the long-standing law requiring a background check and permit issued by county sheriffs for handgun purchases.

Similar laws prohibiting the destruction of firearms by law enforcement agencies have been passed in Kentucky and Arizona, according to the Los Angeles Times

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/03/north-carolina-law-prohibits-police-from-destroying-guns/#ixzz2dpkkUnuE

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Gotta Love nc. Can't wait to move there.

I don't need No stinking signature.

People Like This 
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #3

Liked 640 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Good! People shouldn't need permission to buy a handgun. The campus thing is big too. Just bc you are trying to better yourself shouldn't mean the days you have class you have to be unarmed or waste time and gas to drive home and retrieve your sidearm after you leave campus.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had a huge issue with their "permit to buy" laws. I refused to purchase a handgun while living there just because of that.

Luckily, I was considered a Mississippi resident, so I could just go home and buy one.

Glad they did away with that bull ****.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I had a huge issue with their "permit to buy" laws. I refused to purchase a handgun while living there just because of that.

Luckily, I was considered a Mississippi resident, so I could just go home and buy one.

Glad they did away with that bull ****.
Maybe I misread it, but I think the permit thing still stands. I'm not a big fan of being limited to 5 purchases in a year either. But I guess if you don't use the permit you can still get 5 more the next year. If you only buy 1 gun a year (Yeah right) you could stockpile a good amount of the permits and then go on a shopping spree.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

It's a start!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7339 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9054

That is good news. I sometimes see the pile of guns the police departments have from a buy back program and it makes me sick to think they will be destroyed.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-03-2013 at 03:58 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post

Maybe I misread it, but I think the permit thing still stands. I'm not a big fan of being limited to 5 purchases in a year either. But I guess if you don't use the permit you can still get 5 more the next year. If you only buy 1 gun a year (Yeah right) you could stockpile a good amount of the permits and then go on a shopping spree.
Ah, no, I misread it. It says the bill DROPPED the controversial provision that WOULD do away with requiring it.

I thought it said it dropped the controversial provision that requires it.

My bad. This is an infringement, and I don't understand how rights loving Americans can tolerate having to go ask "pretty please can I buy a hand gun?" I didn't tolerate it. Being a Mississippi resident, but permanently stationed in NC, I could get one in either state.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

5 a year would put a serious crimp in my gun trading and buying. I've done 5 in a month before. I thought Illinois FOID was bad enou but I don't have to ask permission to buy however many guns I wanted. My personal record is 3 in one day and ever since then I've gotten a delay from the NICS system.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There is almost always a trade off of some kind. In ma I can (so far) buy as many guns as I want but since working in the shop I get delayed every time and I am seriously limited in what I am allowed to purchase.
In nc I will only be able to buy 5 a year (you just go to the station and pay $25 for your 5 permits) but I have alot more options for what I can purchase and there will be no delay.
Even in NH where things are pretty lax at this point you have to buy a gun to get a box of 9mm.
I see it as a step forward for NC when Most places are standing still or taking a step back. Eventually the permit thing will get replaced with a better system or the limit will be dropped. I can't wait to move.