STOP assuming its over and READ THIS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > STOP assuming its over and READ THIS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
Done. What's next?
Ride your Congress critters like they were pogo sticks, make sure you stay up to date on what is happening in the Senate and the House of Representatives, the more you know the better you can refute any lies being told.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68

I would like to see someone draft an all encompassing letter, covering all aspects of "NO MORE GUN CONTROL", and post it so it could be (copied) printed and used as a format by each individual.
Huh? I don't get it.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:08 AM   #13

Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Don't assume it will or won't happen.

A new ban looks unlikely, doesn't mean the gun grabbers won't try for it anyway. A slim chance is still a chance. We need to fight every proposed bill.

I may finally throw in the towel and join NRA, GOA, and SAF finally. I've been resisting forever, but it looks like they're needed now more than ever.
I feel your pain, I'm old enough to remember the NRA throwing us under the bus in '86 and again in '94. Maybe I'll send an E-mail with my membership.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The NRA lost me when they blamed violence in games and tv on the shootings. The NRA can go screw itself for all I care. They pissed on the 1st amendment. I love the 2nd amendment too, but it was not a "viloent game or film" that loaded a gun and killed 20 children. It was a deranged individual whose parents apparently didn't want to suffer the negative image of getting proper treatment for their kids. They wanted to keep up that positive image and also keep their kid in a damned bubble. They either over protected the kid and he never got a dose of reality because of his pain management issues, or they were afraid of him, either way the parents are to blame. Saying he was 20 and not a kid and spewing out he should have been institutionalized because he was crazy means he was not capable of taking care of himself so therefore his parents were still his caretakers. They are the ones that gave him access to guns and taught him how to use them. THEY ARE TO BLAME, not Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Magnum PI, Dirty Harry, or anything else in a game or on TV. The parents.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
Good point...do we all just sit back and wait now?? Or could we be more proactive? What more can we do besides contacting our elected officials
A) Consider joining the NRA (or renew). And consider donation $5 or $10 to the NRA-ILA (nra-ila.org). Seriously folks, despite what you think, this is really our only bulwark against this kind of stuff that has actual teeth.

B) Feel free to re-post the OP any other place you want, email to friends etc.

C) A lot of this is about timing. Definitely DO NOT write your reps continually every single day etc, otherwise you may get spam marked. Instead think strategically. Send in a reminder email/letter when something is actually brought to the floor, or goes into committee etc. Watch the news. When the news gets heated up, we need to get heated up.

D) Inform your friends and family about this issue. Create a little email list for your circle of friends and family and keep each other informed on the issue as it progresses. Don't just "fire and forget" links to articles/videos etc. Actually discuss the topic amongst friends and newcomers to the issue.

E) Consider going to any local rallies should they be organized in your community/state.

F) Lastly, remember that forums like this are "rallying the base". We should only spend a limited amount of times talking w/ each other here. As gun owners we need to reach out to our neighbors and those who are maybe more in the "low information" voter category. Get them up to speed on this issue and why it is important to them as well.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #16

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68

I would like to see someone draft an all encompassing letter, covering all aspects of "NO MORE GUN CONTROL", and post it so it could be (copied) printed and used as a format by each individual.
Go to Oregon firearms federations page, follow the link to write, the guy that runs that site is very eloquent with words.

I used a couple of his templates, added a few of my own words to make it more personal,

Was surprised that I actually got responses from what appeared at least to be our state reps.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5814 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

What can you do???????? Simple.

WRITE YOUR CONGRESS CRITTER. noit an E-mail, a letter, hand signed.

JOIN THE NRA. iF YOU'RE AN ANNUAL MENBER, UP GRADE TO LIFE MEMBER.

And probably just as important, write nice, logical reasonable sounding letters to your local editor. NO NAME CALLING!

Winston Churchill

Old 12-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #18

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post
The NRA lost me when they blamed violence in games and tv on the shootings.
Quote:
The NRA can go screw itself for all I care.
They pissed on the 1st amendment. I love the 2nd amendment too, but it was not a "viloent game or film" that loaded a gun and killed 20 children. It was a deranged individual whose parents apparently didn't want to suffer the negative image of getting proper treatment for their kids. They wanted to keep up that positive image and also keep their kid in a damned bubble. They either over protected the kid and he never got a dose of reality because of his pain management issues, or they were afraid of him, either way the parents are to blame. Saying he was 20 and not a kid and spewing out he should have been institutionalized because he was crazy means he was not capable of taking care of himself so therefore his parents were still his caretakers. They are the ones that gave him access to guns and taught him how to use them. THEY ARE TO BLAME, not Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Magnum PI, Dirty Harry, or anything else in a game or on TV. The parents.
Well, you still have obumma & hilliary

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Red face Letter To Be Sent to Legistlators!!

Huh? I don't get it.[/QUOTE]

Many of us don't have the knowledge or the skills to draft a letter that covers all phses of any kind of a new ban. With a letter formatted, each individual could print as many copies as wanted, sign them and mail to his or her legistlators. Get it now??

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
George S. Patton

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #20

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzebubba View Post
The NRA lost me when they blamed violence in games and tv on the shootings. The NRA can go screw itself for all I care. They pissed on the 1st amendment. I love the 2nd amendment too, but it was not a "viloent game or film" that loaded a gun and killed 20 children. It was a deranged individual whose parents apparently didn't want to suffer the negative image of getting proper treatment for their kids. They wanted to keep up that positive image and also keep their kid in a damned bubble. They either over protected the kid and he never got a dose of reality because of his pain management issues, or they were afraid of him, either way the parents are to blame. Saying he was 20 and not a kid and spewing out he should have been institutionalized because he was crazy means he was not capable of taking care of himself so therefore his parents were still his caretakers. They are the ones that gave him access to guns and taught him how to use them. THEY ARE TO BLAME, not Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Magnum PI, Dirty Harry, or anything else in a game or on TV. The parents.
I think the NRA is getting a lot of unnecessary grief over this. Our entertainment is more violent than ever. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Why is Hollywood not taking any accountability for the movies they make? Why is our culture ok with 12 year olds playing increasingly violent games.

No one is calling for getting rid of these things, but as a culture I think we're well beyond asking when it is enough.

Frankly, I vote with my wallet in this regard.