Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stolen gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Exclamation Stolen gun

First off Hi I'm new to the forum and would be very gratefull for any help you can give me. On monday my house was broken into and among other things they stole my rifle. Most of my guns are stored at my dads farm and the one other gun that is here they did not find. I have given the police the sn and description of the gun. This morning I went to every pawn shop in town and to several of the gun shops that buy used guns and gave them the same. Do yall have any other tips on recovering this gun? Its a ruger #1 so it is a rather pricey gun but the sintamentle valvue is even greater. My grandfather gave me this gun and he is now near his death bed. Any help would be great. I dont know if this is the right place to post this so please move it if needed. Again thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

So far you've done the right things by checking the pawn shops. When you have time, do it again and then go a bit further each day and do more shops. Most thieves will try to get rid of the stuff within a few days.

Keep an eye on Texas Gun Trader, you don't have to sign up for an account unless you want to buy/sell/or contact someone, and check your local papers in the sporting goods section. You might also want to check bulletin boards at local sporting/hunting/fishing goods stores.

Good luck.

Also if you'd like to hang around with us, go over to the intro section and let us know a bit about you. Lot of good people here with a lot of knowledge.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Keep a eye on craigslist guns are posted on there every few hours but get flagged rather fast so you have to keep a good look out.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you know the serial number you can contact the police and let them know that serial number has been stolen as well as local pawn shops/gun shops.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Spit- I will pass up the obvious shot about reading skills in NC- the OP has done that.

To the Original Poster- sounds like you have done the things that would be doable. If they catch him, hope they hang him.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

it wouldn't hurt to write to other forums(ruger forum,,the high road,,etc) add some more information like caliber,sn, type of stock. you might get lucky. a lot of texicans on those sights

the north had us outnumbered and outgunned but we had them outmanned .......................................... join the NRA

Old 06-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If the gun turns up in Tx. you got a good chance of getting it back, but if it turns up in N.J., N.Y., D.C. Chitcago, or Ca. don't get your hopes up.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2612 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 203

If you provided the serial number, the Police will enter the gun into a database called NCIC. Guns remain in the system forever. I have recovered guns stolen as many as 37 years earlier.

Pawn shops in Texas are forbidden from putting pawned items out for display/sale for 90 days. Many pawn brokers are not very forthcoming with civilians.

I checked, but did not find any Ruger #1's pawned in either Lubbock or Amarillo in the last week.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you provided the serial number, the Police will enter the gun into a database called NCIC. Guns remain in the system forever. I have recovered guns stolen as many as 37 years earlier.

Pawn shops in Texas are forbidden from putting pawned items out for display/sale for 90 days. Many pawn brokers are not very forthcoming with civilians.

I checked, but did not find any Ruger #1's pawned in either Lubbock or Amarillo in the last week.
I called the police department back today and my case hasnt even been put in the system yet. I figured if there was a stolen gun it would kind of be high on the list.

As for the pawn shops most were very helpful and at least acted like they would help. Tho a few did just take the flyer I made and threw it on a back desk then walked away.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 AM   #10

Also the people I suspect of the robbing are just small time gang bangers so I dont think that the stuff will get to far.