Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Stolen gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/stolen-gun-43888/)

bigbomar4 06-15-2011 05:32 AM

Stolen gun

First off Hi I'm new to the forum and would be very gratefull for any help you can give me. On monday my house was broken into and among other things they stole my rifle. Most of my guns are stored at my dads farm and the one other gun that is here they did not find. I have given the police the sn and description of the gun. This morning I went to every pawn shop in town and to several of the gun shops that buy used guns and gave them the same. Do yall have any other tips on recovering this gun? Its a ruger #1 so it is a rather pricey gun but the sintamentle valvue is even greater. My grandfather gave me this gun and he is now near his death bed. Any help would be great. I dont know if this is the right place to post this so please move it if needed. Again thanks for any help.

Car54 06-15-2011 06:07 AM

So far you've done the right things by checking the pawn shops. When you have time, do it again and then go a bit further each day and do more shops. Most thieves will try to get rid of the stuff within a few days.

Keep an eye on Texas Gun Trader, you don't have to sign up for an account unless you want to buy/sell/or contact someone, and check your local papers in the sporting goods section. You might also want to check bulletin boards at local sporting/hunting/fishing goods stores.

Good luck.

Also if you'd like to hang around with us, go over to the intro section and let us know a bit about you. Lot of good people here with a lot of knowledge.

deathkricket 06-15-2011 07:17 AM

Keep a eye on craigslist guns are posted on there every few hours but get flagged rather fast so you have to keep a good look out.

spittinfire 06-15-2011 11:38 AM

If you know the serial number you can contact the police and let them know that serial number has been stolen as well as local pawn shops/gun shops.

c3shooter 06-15-2011 12:37 PM

Spit- I will pass up the obvious shot about reading skills in NC- the OP has done that.

To the Original Poster- sounds like you have done the things that would be doable. If they catch him, hope they hang him.

moonpie 06-15-2011 03:09 PM

it wouldn't hurt to write to other forums(ruger forum,,the high road,,etc) add some more information like caliber,sn, type of stock. you might get lucky. a lot of texicans on those sights

opaww 06-15-2011 03:41 PM

If the gun turns up in Tx. you got a good chance of getting it back, but if it turns up in N.J., N.Y., D.C. Chitcago, or Ca. don't get your hopes up.

robocop10mm 06-16-2011 01:11 AM

If you provided the serial number, the Police will enter the gun into a database called NCIC. Guns remain in the system forever. I have recovered guns stolen as many as 37 years earlier.

Pawn shops in Texas are forbidden from putting pawned items out for display/sale for 90 days. Many pawn brokers are not very forthcoming with civilians.

I checked, but did not find any Ruger #1's pawned in either Lubbock or Amarillo in the last week.

bigbomar4 06-16-2011 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 523489)
If you provided the serial number, the Police will enter the gun into a database called NCIC. Guns remain in the system forever. I have recovered guns stolen as many as 37 years earlier.

Pawn shops in Texas are forbidden from putting pawned items out for display/sale for 90 days. Many pawn brokers are not very forthcoming with civilians.

I checked, but did not find any Ruger #1's pawned in either Lubbock or Amarillo in the last week.

I called the police department back today and my case hasnt even been put in the system yet. I figured if there was a stolen gun it would kind of be high on the list.

As for the pawn shops most were very helpful and at least acted like they would help. Tho a few did just take the flyer I made and threw it on a back desk then walked away.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

bigbomar4 06-16-2011 02:04 AM

Also the people I suspect of the robbing are just small time gang bangers so I dont think that the stuff will get to far.