Stolen Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stolen Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Stolen Gun

I made a thread almost a year ago where I told you the police had a gun of mine that had been reported stolen. They told me that they had to send it to the state police to be tested. Cool.

Well, I got a letter in the mail telling me to come pick it up about a week ago. The first time I went to get it, I was told only the detective could release it to me, but he wasn't there. I was told to call back. I called and spoke to the detective. He said to get it back, I had to produce a purchase permit. His attitude is like he really doesn't want to give it to me. I couldn't find the permit. But I know that they know it belongs to me, because they called me when they found it. I reported it missing to the Detroit Police, it was Lathrup Village that found it. Furthermore, they sent me a letter to come claim it. Why now, do I have to have a purchase permit to get it?

Is this a law, or is the detective just trying to make me jump thru hoops? If I can't find the permit or get another copy, what should my next step be?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #2

It may be as simple as a new background check. Any FFL should be able to do it.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That seems a little rediculous that you have to be cleared the buy the weapon that you were cleared to own a year ago....Sorry for the headache but don't try to make sense out of gun laws.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-14-2011, 02:29 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They should be open to telling you what you need. Jump through the hoops like a good little dog and get your friggin gun back!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #5

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think they are just trying to find out if you legally own the weapon. Let's say when you reported it stolen, unless you presented the Detroit Police with some form of ownership, they entered the gun in the LEIN and NCIC systems with you as the person reporting the offense. That doesn't mean you own the gun.

On the other hand, if the gun was registered to you, your name would show as the owner and you should get the gun back without having to produce a purchase permit. I have returned many guns to the registered owners without having them show a purchase permit or a purchase receipt as long as they were the registered owner on record.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Why wouldn't they just run the serial number and verify that he's the legal owner? Azzhats.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #7

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

if you remember where you purchased it, go back to that establishment and ask for a copy of the 4473 form you had to fill out...........from there you should be able to substantiate that it is yours.

all firearms dealers are required to keep EVERY 4473 on file until they close down, after that i don't know what happens to the forms.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Why wouldn't they just run the serial number and verify that he's the legal owner? Azzhats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
On the other hand, if the gun was registered to you, your name would show as the owner
If its a handgun, YES, Michigan requires a purchase permit AND registratiuon(BULLSH!T)

Long guns require neither.

IF its a handgun and you purchased according to state law, they should have the records of purchase and registration.

Per a long gun, go back to your dealer and get a copy. They only keep 4473 records for & years.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

I don't think the issue is proving it is his. I think the issue is he needs to have his social security number called in to verify that he can legally own it before they let him have it. He could have committed a crime in the year the firearm was missing.

Just my take on it.

Lifetime NRA Member
Paul Harris Fellow - 3 Diamond Level

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #10

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i kinda went through the same BS here a lil while back....i had to go down to the evidence dept.,show my CHP,D.L.'s,copy of the report,receipt for the purchase of the gun 22lr NAA mini revolver...then i was told that i had to wait about a month,so the FBI could do some kind of background check on it.the lady told me if i wasnt the org. buyer of the firearm there was no way i would get it back...:/..then i was told that when it came back to them charlotte meck. police dept./evidence dept. i could get it back....well a lil more than a month went by,i went down to the police dept. and i was told that i had to go to court to see if the judge would let me get my gun back...so about 3 months later,i got my gun back...good luck