Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Stolen Gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/stolen-gun-39762/)

clip11 03-14-2011 01:26 AM

Stolen Gun

I made a thread almost a year ago where I told you the police had a gun of mine that had been reported stolen. They told me that they had to send it to the state police to be tested. Cool.

Well, I got a letter in the mail telling me to come pick it up about a week ago. The first time I went to get it, I was told only the detective could release it to me, but he wasn't there. I was told to call back. I called and spoke to the detective. He said to get it back, I had to produce a purchase permit. His attitude is like he really doesn't want to give it to me. I couldn't find the permit. But I know that they know it belongs to me, because they called me when they found it. I reported it missing to the Detroit Police, it was Lathrup Village that found it. Furthermore, they sent me a letter to come claim it. Why now, do I have to have a purchase permit to get it?

Is this a law, or is the detective just trying to make me jump thru hoops? If I can't find the permit or get another copy, what should my next step be?

Colossal Urprising 03-14-2011 01:55 AM

It may be as simple as a new background check. Any FFL should be able to do it.

spittinfire 03-14-2011 02:16 AM

That seems a little rediculous that you have to be cleared the buy the weapon that you were cleared to own a year ago....Sorry for the headache but don't try to make sense out of gun laws.

dunerunner 03-14-2011 02:29 AM

They should be open to telling you what you need. Jump through the hoops like a good little dog and get your friggin gun back!!

Car54 03-14-2011 02:50 AM

I think they are just trying to find out if you legally own the weapon. Let's say when you reported it stolen, unless you presented the Detroit Police with some form of ownership, they entered the gun in the LEIN and NCIC systems with you as the person reporting the offense. That doesn't mean you own the gun.

On the other hand, if the gun was registered to you, your name would show as the owner and you should get the gun back without having to produce a purchase permit. I have returned many guns to the registered owners without having them show a purchase permit or a purchase receipt as long as they were the registered owner on record.

CA357 03-14-2011 04:16 AM

Why wouldn't they just run the serial number and verify that he's the legal owner? Azzhats.:mad:

USEBOTHHANDS 03-14-2011 04:28 AM

if you remember where you purchased it, go back to that establishment and ask for a copy of the 4473 form you had to fill out...........from there you should be able to substantiate that it is yours.

all firearms dealers are required to keep EVERY 4473 on file until they close down, after that i don't know what happens to the forms.

willfully armed 03-14-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 464461)
Why wouldn't they just run the serial number and verify that he's the legal owner? Azzhats.:mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 464386)
On the other hand, if the gun was registered to you, your name would show as the owner

If its a handgun, YES, Michigan requires a purchase permit AND registratiuon(BULLSH!T)

Long guns require neither.

IF its a handgun and you purchased according to state law, they should have the records of purchase and registration.

Per a long gun, go back to your dealer and get a copy. They only keep 4473 records for & years.

Colossal Urprising 03-14-2011 09:05 PM

I don't think the issue is proving it is his. I think the issue is he needs to have his social security number called in to verify that he can legally own it before they let him have it. He could have committed a crime in the year the firearm was missing.

Just my take on it.

m72law 03-14-2011 09:51 PM

i kinda went through the same BS here a lil while back....i had to go down to the evidence dept.,show my CHP,D.L.'s,copy of the report,receipt for the purchase of the gun 22lr NAA mini revolver:)...then i was told that i had to wait about a month,so the FBI could do some kind of background check on it.the lady told me if i wasnt the org. buyer of the firearm there was no way i would get it back...:/..then i was told that when it came back to them charlotte meck. police dept./evidence dept. i could get it back....well a lil more than a month went by,i went down to the police dept. and i was told that i had to go to court to see if the judge would let me get my gun back...so about 3 months later,i got my gun back:o...good luck:rolleyes: