Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Steven Hayes-Jury chooses DEATH PENALTY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Steven Hayes-Jury chooses DEATH PENALTY

Suprised this hasnt posted already.

Connecticut jury got this right. Deserved justice.
Jury Recommends Death for Connecticut Man in Home Invasion Rape-Murders - FoxNews.com

Quote:
Jury Recommends Death for Connecticut Man in Home Invasion Rape-Murders

Published November 08, 2010 | FoxNews.com

The sole survivor in a deadly home invasion said Monday that there will never be "closure" after a jury recommended death for a man in the grisly murder of a Connecticut woman and her two daughters.

Dr. William Petit of Cheshire, Conn., who survived the July 2007 attack on his family, said Monday that "justice has been served" after a jury voted unanimously to send convicted killer Steven Hayes to death row.

"There's never closure. There's a hole," Petit said of the home invasion that left his wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, and daughters, Hayley and Michaela, dead.

After four days of deliberations, jurors in New Haven Superior Court recommended death for Hayes who, along with co-defendant Joshua Komisarjevsky, broke into the Petit home and tormented the family for seven hours before Hawke-Petit and her daughters were killed. The judge will impose the sentence December 2.

Authorities said Hayes and Komisarjevsky forced their way into the house on July 23, 2007, beat Petit, and forced his wife to withdraw money from a bank while the rest of her family was held hostage at home. Hayes then sexually assaulted and strangled her, authorities said. Komisarjevsky, who will be tried next year, is charged with sexually assaulting 11-year-old Michaela.

Michaela and her 17-year-old sister, Hayley, were tied to their beds and doused in gasoline before the men set the house on fire, according to testimony. The girls died of smoke inhalation.

"Michaela was an 11-year-old little girl, tortured and killed in her own bedroom...surrounded by stuffed animals," Petit said outside the courthouse after the verdict was reached. "Hayley had a great future...and Jennifer helped so many kids."

"It's a huge void in my life," he said.

Hayes' attorneys had tried to persuade jurors to spare him the death penalty by portraying him as a clumsy, drug-addicted thief who never committed violence until the home invasion with a fellow paroled burglar. They called Komisarjevsky the mastermind and said he escalated the violence. They also said Hayes was remorseful and actually wanted a death sentence.

But prosecutors said both men were equally responsible and that the crime cried out for the death penalty, saying the family was subjected to heinous acts of violence.

Hayes looked straight ahead and had no obvious reaction as the jury's sentence was announced. He will join nine other men on Connecticut's death row. The state has only executed one man since 1960, so Hayes will likely spend years, if not decades, in prison.

Komisarjevsky will be tried next year.

The crime was so unsettling that it became a key issue in the death penalty debate in the governor's race and led to tougher Connecticut laws for repeat offenders and home invasions. Gov. M. Jodi Rell cited the case when she vetoed a bill that would have abolished the death penalty.

To determine Hayes' punishment, the jury weighed so-called aggravating factors cited by prosecutors, including the heinous and cruel nature of the deaths, against mitigating factors argued by Hayes' attorneys.

The defense suggested prison would be more harsh than death for Hayes.

He did not testify during the trial or penalty phase, but told a psychiatrist he wanted to "look like a monster" by taking the stand and expressing no remorse so that the jury would sentence him to die. Hayes also said he had repeatedly tried to kill himself after the crime because he felt guilty and remorseful and feared isolation in prison the rest of his life.

Hayes' attorneys focused heavily on Komisarjevsky, even calling a witness who said his "completely dead eyes" made him look like the devil. They cited his writings in which he described how his "dark shadow was let loose" as he beat the doctor and the pleasure he got from terrorizing the man's wife and two daughters.

Komisarjevsky's writings, however, also blamed Hayes for escalating the violence by strangling Hawke-Petit.

Prosecutors said it was Hayes who initiated the crime, citing his confession to police in which he said he called Komisarjevsky shortly before the crime because he was financially desperate. They also noted that Hayes took Hawke-Petit to the bank to withdraw money, raped and strangled her, bought the gasoline and poured it throughout the house.

Hayes' attorneys tried to humanize him, portraying him as a proud father and a hard worker who was trying to pick up the pieces of his life as he got out of prison shortly before the crime.

Hayes "could be a likable person," his attorney, Patrick Culligan, told the jury. One of his employers said Hayes tried to intervene to protect her after she got into a verbal argument with another worker.

Hayes' defense called a psychiatrist who said Hayes was in an extreme emotional state triggered after Komisarjevsky falsely told him he had killed the girls while Hayes was with their mother at the bank. Prosecutors rejected that argument, saying Hayes own confession showed he knew the girls were still alive when he returned from the bank.

During the trial, jurors heard eight days of gruesome testimony, saw photos of the victims, charred beds, rope, ripped clothing and ransacked rooms.

Hayes was convicted of six capital felony charges, three murder counts and two charges of sexually assaulting Hawke-Petit. The capital offenses were for killing two or more people, the killing of a person under 16, murder in the course of a sexual assault and three counts of intentionally causing a death during a kidnapping.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #2

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The following are comments I posted on a youtube video where someone commented that he should keep his life and not be "murdered."

Quote:
straken9k1
5 hours ago
@g1234538 "then he barley got out before they burnt the house down." Hayes has been punished enough with the public humiliation and almost dieing in the fire. There is no need to murder him.
Quote:
michigan0626
44 seconds ago
Conservatives are pro-life, pro-death penalty.
Every one conseived has an unalienable right to "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness." That is why Conservatives are pro-life; which is really pro-life, liberty, and happiness. When you violate someones right to life, liberty, and happiness, even for one second, you waive and give up your right to your own life, your own liberty, and your own happiness.
Quote:
michigan0626
1 sec ago
Liberals are pro-criminal and anti-life, anti-liberty, and anti-pursuit of happiness.
They believe criminals are just really victims with bad circumstances in life. They dont believe in the death penalty. Not wanting someone to die is a noble position, but being against the death penalty is wrong. It is Unconstitutional to be against the death penalty. You guys are crazy, thinking criminals have rights and should keep their life, yet turn around and deny a baby its right to life.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 11-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

What a Liberal Nut Job ! They ought to lock him up just for trying to justify what that creep did to those poor children ! Rapes and kills mother and children which includes an 11 year old girl ! Before they kill him they should cut his nuts out, and fill his sack with rock salt ! Then cut off his penis and then make him eat it ! Then parade him around the city with a big sign on him that says "Murderer, Child Molester, Rapist ! Then let the towns people beat him, then put him to death ! That is a scumbag peice of dirt/trash that this world could do without. If it was up to straken9k1, he would stroke the back of his head, give him cocoa, and twinkies and tell him it's alright, you made a mistake !
What in the world are people like him smoking, eating, or drinking ? He is going about life
with his head up his ass ! I think many of them are just like that to piss off the normal
folks of the country ! Oh poor baby, the media and community are outraged, Oh Poor Baby, he almost got burnt from the fire he caused, Poor Baby went through enough
humiliation give him a break, he's really a nice guy once you get to know him ?
Yea Right ! Go Pound Sand you Moron, Ignorant, Appeasing, Jerk ! The Criminals are always right, it's a shame they have to go to jail or get the death penalty.
Get a Life Jack-Off !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #4

I like what this girl wrote and she's right..........
thank god that MF-ER is going to die!! He will not be missed I wish he would just kill himself!!! I don't think I have ever heard about a murder that bothered me more. Also, I don't care if someone was abused or under the influence of drugs at the time!! There are thousands of abused, neglected, and drug addicted people who don't go out killing people. If you commit a crime you must do the time!!

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am from CT and this all I ever hear about. It's a sad story for all, that's for sure. Dr. Petit has been a role model for violent crime victims everywhere. I am however opposed to the death penalty. I understand it's purpose as a deterrent though. The state was 100% correct in handing down this verdict. Had they not chose death in such a high profile, it could have been a sad precedent for other criminals in my state.
Unfortunately this is exactly what the killer wanted. He had tried to commit suicide in his cell already and told his lawyer he wanted to die. Even after the trial the lawyer said, in not so many words, they jury gave him what he wanted.
Life in prison would have been just as sound a penalty. Sentencing to a life term is in effect killing them. Of course they still live and breathe but their life is gone. I guess it's a "social" death sentence. Unfortunately this and all subsequent appeals will dominate all forms of media in my state. The way the death penalty operates is wrong. He will live for at least 20 years and then once all appeals all exhausted he will be put to death. Had he gotten life, he would have been led out of the courtroom never to be heard from again. Glad I wasn't on that jury.

p.s. Before the attacks start, I'm pro life too! And that means criminals also!