Starbucks Now Anti-gun - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Starbucks Now Anti-gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 576 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
My bad I live in California so anytime I hear anything like this I am quick to jump the gun and say what the f...

Everytime I turn around there's a new restriction on our 2nd Amendment so I'm just mad.
To some this means nothing to others it means a lot
Take change in Ca this way - "California doesn't follow trends - they set them" or "California isn't 3 hours behind - they are 21 hours ahead".

These thoughts are brought to you by a California boy...raised in SFV

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you dress normally and open carry most people don't notice you are carrying a gun. I open carry during deer hunting season. We have a long hunting season. After a couple months I am used to having a hand cannon strapped on my side. I walk into stores and no one stares at me or says a word. The fellow that runs the local feed mill didn't notice I was carrying a gun every time I came there until the end of the season. Then he wasn't upset. He was gobsmacked that I had been carrying a DW 15-2 with a 10" barrel in his office every Friday and he had not noticed it.
In all due respect you can't compare the attitudes of California people to North Carolina or many other Eastern wooded state where much of the state is hunting territory. Californians (mainly Southern Ca) in my opinion are paranoid. They have experienced so much violence through the LA and Watts riots and other crime that makes national news like OJ Simpson, Manson case and Blake Edwards. They haven't forgotten it. They live in it. I lived less than 8 miles from where the Manson murders took place in Simi Valley. It is not the same environment.

We have moved across the country (SFV Ca, Tucson, Az, Bloomington, Il, Dallas, Tx, Roanoke, Va and now settled in New Castle, Va) and have experienced many walks of life. Not that I am better than anyone else or know any more, but our experiences have opened our eyes to different demographic areas. You just can't fairly compare So Cal, NY, Va and other places to one another and question why someone is looked at differently when carrying a gun.

In Va I wouldn't care much who I saw open carrying - in Chicago I would definitely care.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Last edited by wittmeba; 01-17-2014 at 12:49 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #83
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
In all due respect you can't compare the attitudes of California people to North Carolina or many other Eastern wooded state where much of the state is hunting territory. Californians (mainly Southern Ca) in my opinion are paranoid. They have experienced so much violence through the LA and Watts riots and other crime that makes national news like OJ Simpson, Manson case and Blake Edwards. They haven't forgotten it. They live in it. I lived less than 8 miles from where the Manson murders took place in Simi Valley. It is not the same environment.

We have moved across the country (SFV Ca, Tucson, Az, Bloomington, Il, Dallas, Tx, Roanoke, Va and now settled in New Castle, Va) and have experienced many walks of life. Not that I am better than anyone else or know any more, but our experiences have opened our eyes to different demographic areas. You just can't fairly compare So Cal, NY, Va and other places to one another and question why someone is looked at differently when carrying a gun.

In Va I wouldn't care much who I saw open carrying - in Chicago I would definitely care.
I buy what your saying Witt to a point, NY hasnt seen an isolated rash of mass killings with firearms in the state as a whole since the revolutionary war. The city is a diff story, it was once the murder capital of the USA but hasnt been at the top of that ladder since Rudy took office. NY as a whole has a pretty low crime rate for the size of the state, the safe act has not made it any safer.
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #84

WB - I'm not picking on NY or Ca or any other specific area. I agree with you too but people remember. And unfortunately the media and TV use places like NYC, LA, Chi, Detroit for effects of their movies. It is not the fault of the general population but what some make those places up to be.

Down town Dallas is beautiful. Big tall glass buildings, beautiful architectural structures, clean. But 1/4 mile outside and it is scary.

When a crime happens the media (like it or not) will show the same bloody crime scenes for weeks and that's the news we live with.

---

What few people know is they are safer surrounded by others with Concealed Gun Permits than those without. Reasons? You know as do most on this forum.

If someone has a CWP you know the basics about them.
- never convicted of a felony
- never convicted of a crime of violence
- no domestic violence charges
- taken and passed gun safety
- passed state police background check
- don't use drugs
- not a fugitive from justice
- no dishonorable discharge from military
etc.

Anyone who Open Carries likely meets - most - of this criteria too.

But what I feel most strongly is that if I have a CWP - AND - I see a sign on a merchants door - No Guns Allowed - my biggest concern is losing my personal gun rights if I do not honor their request. That is exactly what would likely happen. This would be my message to a merchant displaying a "No Firearms" sign at their door.

My message to others is if you are standing in line at Walmart, Starbucks, filling station, movie theater, etc - if someone around you is open carrying or they have a CWP (which they may not know without asking) you are likely safer than standing around someone who is not allowed to open or hold a CWP. I don't think too many criminals Open Carry. It is not that all gun owners & carriers are legal and safe, but if they are willing to pubically draw the attention they probably are.

So - the sight of guns should not scare people, but make them feel safer. Pretty much all of us on this forum agree.

But I do feel that brandishing and flashing a gun especially a long arm isn't using good judgement and hurts the general gun community.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #85
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8220 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
WB - I'm not picking on NY or Ca or any other specific area. I agree with you too but people remember. And unfortunately the media and TV use places like NYC, LA, Chi, Detroit for effects of their movies. It is not the fault of the general population but what some make those places up to be.

Down town Dallas is beautiful. Big tall glass buildings, beautiful architectural structures, clean. But 1/4 mile outside and it is scary.

When a crime happens the media (like it or not) will show the same bloody crime scenes for weeks and that's the news we live with.

---

What few people know is they are safer surrounded by others with Concealed Gun Permits than those without. Reasons? You know as do most on this forum.

If someone has a CWP you know the basics about them.
- never convicted of a felony
- never convicted of a crime of violence
- no domestic violence charges
- taken and passed gun safety
- passed state police background check
- don't use drugs
- not a fugitive from justice
- no dishonorable discharge from military
etc.

Anyone who Open Carries likely meets - most - of this criteria too.

But what I feel most strongly is that if I have a CWP - AND - I see a sign on a merchants door - No Guns Allowed - my biggest concern is losing my personal gun rights if I do not honor their request. That is exactly what would likely happen. This would be my message to a merchant displaying a "No Firearms" sign at their door.

My message to others is if you are standing in line at Walmart, Starbucks, filling station, movie theater, etc - if someone around you is open carrying or they have a CWP (which they may not know without asking) you are likely safer than standing around someone who is not allowed to open or hold a CWP. I don't think too many criminals Open Carry. It is not that all gun owners & carriers are legal and safe, but if they are willing to pubically draw the attention they probably are.

So - the sight of guns should not scare people, but make them feel safer. Pretty much all of us on this forum agree.

But I do feel that brandishing and flashing a gun especially a long arm isn't using good judgement and hurts the general gun community.
Cant disagree Chief, spot on! I was once the punk that would do things I could just because I could. Now I tend to shy away from places that bother me if I can help it. I get enough Trivial Trauma BS at the Lib arts U Ive worked at almost 20 years so when I leave, mostly I go to my Ponderosa in the hills and hide. Engaging here is as good as it gets cause I prolly wont lose my job if I say the wrong thing in front of the wrong person but thats a whole nother thread I will be writing soon! Woe is me!!! Ha!

Starbucks dont bother me much, no starbucks anywhere near Irish Settlement! I prepare a tasty steaming Pot of Eight O-Clock Coffee in my bathrobe starting about 05:00 hrs every morning where I can enjoy a cigarette, my dog, the peace and serenity of my wife snoring upstairs and any gun I chose from my Library within inches of my Puter, Joe, smoke and a biscuit! Life is good that way for me!
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
...I was once the punk that would do things I could just because I could...
I think most of us have been there, done that in our past

~ Holsters ~

We the People...
People Like This 
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
I saw some of these same pictures. You are right.
Amen. A bunch of mentally marginal fools who think people will admire them. They ruined Starbucks' open carry policy.
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Amen. A bunch of mentally marginal fools who think people will admire them. They ruined Starbucks' open carry policy.
Yes, we are a visual breed. We see new faces everyday and we build an opinion of who they are, what they are like...right or wrong. Only actions after that can change that first moment opinion.

What is sad is when someone projects an undesirable first impression, then their actions reinforce it. It hurts us all.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...
People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #89

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

One thing that would help the reputation of gun owners is rip a play right out of the liberal playbook. Liberals always try to shame gun owners. They say owning a gun is cowardly. Like a 70 year old man can physically handle a 30 year old man.

We need to let people know that they are making us look bad. When an idiot is running around an urban area with an AR strapped over his shoulder ask him what is hunting? I am not saying provoke the man. Just let him know he is damaging all gun owners reputation. Make him feel guilty for his actions. If he starts popping off with some extremist BS just walk away. I don't have a gift for words but I am sure there are non adversarial ways to let him/her know they are making us all look bad. We don't see people running around raleigh with an AR15 even though it is legal. The only time we see guns in raleigh is when a politician is trying to help us get laws passed. I don't have much experience in dealing with people who are making gun owners look bad.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #90

Liked 3320 Times on 1494 Posts
Likes Given: 3059

I have a couple of questions since I read most of the posts on this thread. If I show a wood stocked gun to people most think it's ok. If I put a black stock and a picatiny rail on it suddenly the uninformed become frightened. So why do most of you think that if I wear my oc pistol in a "normal" hip holster it's ok with you, but if I put it in a drop leg holster suddenly it's excusable to be frightened? It's just a damn holster. A lot of you are acting the same way the frightened sheep act over black rifles. It's just appearance, how you carry it doesn't change a damn thing. Why is it ok for you to make fun of the sheeple for being afraid of black rifles but suddenly you are on their side over a scary holster? I personally don't use a drop leg holster, I just don't understand why it's ok to own one "scary" thing and not another.