Starbucks Now Anti-gun - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Starbucks Now Anti-gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 552 Times on 373 Posts

My bad I live in California so anytime I hear anything like this I am quick to jump the gun and say what the f...

Everytime I turn around there's a new restriction on our 2nd Amendment so I'm just mad.
To some this means nothing to others it means a lot

Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #22

Liked 2216 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you dress normally and open carry most people don't notice you are carrying a gun. I open carry during deer hunting season. We have a long hunting season. After a couple months I am used to having a hand cannon strapped on my side. I walk into stores and no one stares at me or says a word. The fellow that runs the local feed mill didn't notice I was carrying a gun every time I came there until the end of the season. Then he wasn't upset. He was gobsmacked that I had been carrying a DW 15-2 with a 10" barrel in his office every Friday and he had not noticed it.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #23

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I have a little inside scoop apparently.

Unbeknownst to many of you apparently, there has been an ongoing battle lately over Starbucks turf.

A group, founded and operated by Shannon Watts, known as "Mom's demand action against gun violence" (originally, "one million mom's for sensible gun control", or something similar. Until they realized they stagnated at around 8 thousand members), has taken the fight back to the coffee house. And they've been soundly defeated, yet again, by gun owners. One pro gun group has a very personal vendetta against them, "dads demand gun rights in America". Gun owners have gotten out in support of Starbucks' stance in remaining neutral.

Now, I'm sure this isn't the ONLY thing that influenced this decision.

But, is I were a business owner, personally, I'd be offended and quite pissed off at people trying to play tug o' war worth my customers.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2157 Times on 1280 Posts
Likes Given: 1077

Well no more Starbuck's for me. They are now serving Kool-
Aid not coffee!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #25

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you dress normally and open carry most people don't notice you are carrying a gun. I open carry during deer hunting season. We have a long hunting season. After a couple months I am used to having a hand cannon strapped on my side. I walk into stores and no one stares at me or says a word. The fellow that runs the local feed mill didn't notice I was carrying a gun every time I came there until the end of the season. Then he wasn't upset. He was gobsmacked that I had been carrying a DW 15-2 with a 10" barrel in his office every Friday and he had not noticed it.
I know for a fact A LOT of that has to do with the free state in which you/we live...

If I had to guess, I'd say 80% of homes here in NC have at least one firearm, (although knowing for sure is impossible) it's just the way it's always been, no one thinks twice about something like that...

Outside of the Raleigh/Charlotte (uptight liberal havens) areas, nobody cares if you OC, and you're right, most people don't even notice...

Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2075 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 4455

To me not allowing guns is the same as anti-gun crowd.

I say contact Starbucks and advise them we will take our business elsewhere.

There are mom and pop shops that need business and why send the money anti-gun city of Seattle where their corporation headquarters is located.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #27

Liked 839 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I know for a fact A LOT of that has to do with the free state in which you/we live...

If I had to guess, I'd say 80% of homes here in NC have at least one firearm, (although knowing for sure is impossible) it's just the way it's always been, no one thinks twice about something like that...

Outside of the Raleigh/Charlotte (uptight liberal havens) areas, nobody cares if you OC, and you're right, most people don't even notice...
Actually, Raleigh PD and Wake Sheriff Harrison are pretty cool about open... again, as long as you're not threatening or being a general jack@$$ about things. BUT.... there is a "weapons display ban" in the township of Cary (Collected Area of Relocated Yankees)...Guess where I live??... and the real liberal haven around these parts HAS to be Chapel Hill/Carrboro. They have a ban on gun of a "particular small size" with the twisted logic that "those guns" are used more often in crimes (wtf???)...and Durham county requires registration of ALL handguns with the their Sheriff's Department (...old left over Jim Crow mentality at work there).
The only things I know about Charlotte though is that's it's the biggest city in NC, has the banking center of the state, the biggest airport (still rather connect there than through Atlanta, DC or Newark..) and at least on the books... allows open carry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_North_Carolina

But back to the thread... Starbucks??? Never been to one (seriously)...I like my coffee plain and either made at home or by the campfire.... and I'll bet you they can't top the ambiance of either.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #28
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 671 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 2727

Here in calif. if I wore my Ruger anywhere I would probably end up in jail or dead.
My Son and I occasionally go to a Starbucks.
Of course I am all for our rights,
But if I were in Starbucks and a bunch of Rambo posers came in I would leave in a hurry.

We, the Gun owners MUST use our RIGHTS, RESPONSABLY.

And there are better coffee shops than starbucks.
People Like This 
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9031 Times on 5248 Posts
Likes Given: 11922

Anybody interested in what other people think? A friend of mine forwards this to me today:

http://jezebel.com/gun-rights-advocates-are-the-worlds-biggest-*******s-1341148040 (note: To make the link work you must correct the word "assholes" because the editing software on this site will delete that out and put *******s in its place)

Quote:
Last night, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz published a letter on the company's website politely requesting that people stop bringing guns to Starbucks. Why is this even necessary? Because, in case you haven't been following, gun rights activists have become borderline Westboro Baptist-level *******s.
Related
All Meals Are Possible Through Christ: Hate-Bingeing on the Loaves and the Chicken

People kept asking me on Wednesday whether I was going to go to a Chick-Fil-A to stare at the evangelicals on Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day. "You … Read…

It seems that, due to its reputation as a corporation with a liberal C-suite, the purveyors of Pumpkin Spice have become targets of conservative protests. To paraphrase Gawker's late great Jeb Lund, it's a way for jerks to feel important by sitting; the ideological opposite of Chik-fil-A. And because conservative activists are terribly uncreative dickbags who prioritize unregulated gun-waving over public safety, their preferred form of Starbucks protest has been to hang out in their local branch with their guns. Here's an excerpt from Schultz's plea,

Recently, however, we’ve seen the “open carry” debate become increasingly uncivil and, in some cases, even threatening. Pro-gun activists have used our stores as a political stage for media events misleadingly called “Starbucks Appreciation Days” that disingenuously portray Starbucks as a champion of “open carry.” To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores. Some anti-gun activists have also played a role in ratcheting up the rhetoric and friction, including soliciting and confronting our customers and partners.

For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

There's much more to the letter, but the TL;DR version is, basically: "Please guys. Stop being dicks to our lowly branch employees when you're mad at high-level executives. That's almost as misguided as protesting Wal-Mart's klepto-capitalism by barfing blue Kool Aid all over an elderly greeter earning poverty wages in Omaha. You're not helping."

Schultz has purchased ad space in several major newspapers, where the letter will run tomorrow. A memo to employees has instructed them to refrain from confronting armed protestors. And — call me a cynic — I don't imagine that this will go over well at all.

What Schultz's letter doesn't spell out is the extent of STARBUCKS APPRECIATORS' unbridled ****ery. According to Politico, last month, a Starbucks located just blocks from the site of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Connecticut was to be the site of a "Starbucks Appreciation Day" and rather than dealing with a shop full of garbage people flashing their guns around, management closed the store that day.

And the pointless and hurtful gun trolling doesn't stop at the Frappuccino machine. On CNN just yesterday, the head of Gun Owners of America said that he'd "strongly encourage" guns in kindergartens. Jim Rubens, a Republican challenger to incumbent New Hampshire Senator (and certified badass) Jeanne Shaheen, blamed mass shootings on women in the workplace in a 2009 website post,

The collaborative, flexible, amorphously-hierarchical American economy is shutting out ordinary men who were once the nation’s breadwinners in living-wage labor and manufacturing jobs,” Rubens wrote. “Because status success is more vital to the male psychology, males are falling over the edge in increasing numbers.

And a Michigan pro-gun group has encouraged its members to protest a hearing on the state's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Stand Your Ground law by showing up with their guns. A protest involving a group of people armed with deadly weapons doesn't seem like a protest at all; more like a thuggish threat. Gun rights advocates have obtained Peak Bastard Level. They're employing 4Chan-ish methods to push an agenda that's actually harmful to society. It's jaw-dropping.

Look: I understand the usefulness of guns in certain contexts. I grew up in a part of the country that the Census Bureau classifies as "rural remote" in a house full of guns that my father and brother used to hunt animals to eat (to this day, I'm pretty sure my dad's disappointed that when I was 12, I opted not to take gun safety and join the family venison hunt). Some of my favorite people are responsible, reasonable gun owners, and they're great. I'm not disparaging them.

Gun *******s are people who are so up their own crusty barrel that they find it appropriate to use the tragic deaths of people whose bodies aren't even in the ground yet to make a point about how great guns are. They're people who blame everything but guns on mass shootings — video games, women, abortion, whatthe****ever. They're the clowns buying shirts that declare "I LOVE GUNS AND COFFEE." They're the people celebrating Starbucks Appreciating Day by scaring the **** out of people just trying to enjoy an overpriced latte and some piped in watered down white girl alt-folk in peace.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9031 Times on 5248 Posts
Likes Given: 11922

I have been saying all along that the militant open-carry movement is shooting us in the foot. Here in CA those guys succeeded in getting all open carry in most of the state outlawed entirely. That is all they succeeded in doing though their misguided tactics. Nice going dickheads. Now these schmucks have succeeded in alienating Starbucks. Way to go people. Nice way to show the opposition how we are decent, law-abiding citizens who are just like them in most all other ways.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This